Slackware ftp problem

Post by Tim Kallin » Mon, 12 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Hello, I have a problem with the 'put' command of the ftp program used by
Slackware 3.3 . I built a 2nd computer which I use to run Solaris 7 (its
host name is titan). I have it networked with my Linux box (host name
saturn) using a couple of NE2000 clone cards. The problem is this:
Whenever I use the 'put' command in ftp from saturn in order to transfer
files to titan, ftp tranfers a part of the file but then freezes. The same
thing occurs if I ftp to saturn from titan and use 'get' to transfer a
file to titan. On the other hand, 'get' on saturn to retrieve files from
titan or 'put' on titan to tansfer files to saturn work just fine. In
other words transferring a file from saturn (Slackware Linux) to any other
host causes ftp to freeze. Now if I perform any action on saturn, eg.
pressing the return key in a telnet window to saturn from titan, some more
of the file gets transferred but again freezes. If I keep pressing the
return key in the telnet window, the file continues to transfer haltingly
in spurts until done. I can also use 'ping -s saturn' from titan to
transfer the entire file in chunks each time ping accesses the ethernet
card (like I said any user activity on saturn causes the transfer to
resume). I'm certain the problem lies with Slackware 3.3 since I can use
both 'get' and 'put' between titan and saturn when I boot saturn into
Windows 95.

Anyone have any idea what could be causing this?  Perhaps it doesn't exist
in the current version of Slackware ? I've tried changing some things in
/etc/inetd.conf and upgrading the wu-ftp server program, but no luck. The
problem seems limited to ftp on Slackware. IP masquerading and forwarding
also work just fine for my network (the modem is on the Linux machine) so
this isn't part of the problem either. Telnet and ssh also work fine. I'm
using kernel 2.0.36 and I've upgraded libc5 to 5.4.46 and gcc to
egcs-1.1.2 . Both computers have Pentium 233 MMX chips.

Please also email me any responses.

Regards,

Timothy Kallinis

--
Regards,

Timothy Kallinis

1. Slackware FTP Problems

 Please Help..

I recently installed Slackware 2.0.27.  I want to use the machine as an ftp
server for a small ISP.  I want to allow anonymous ftp (read only except the
incoming directory) and real user ftp (full access to personal directories).

The problem is that real users can't connect to the ftp server.  I don't
even get a password prompt.  As soon as a valid username is entered, access
is denied.  Anonymous users, no problem.  I can't find any HOWTO's FAQ's or
other documentation on how to set this up.  I have two boxes with Slak
installed both are default settings (no modifications) neither will work.

Any help would be appreciated.

To reply to me please remove the underscores and invert the domain suffix.

2. ps changes format occasionally (possibly just JVM)

3. Boot problem from ftp.cdrom.com Slackware 3.0 download.

4. XCd - An X11 CD Player

5. FTP problems with Slackware 2.0.0

6. Free BSD 4.7 and Virtual pc

7. Slackware 1.2.0 - Telnet & ftp problems

8. kernel ?

9. Ftp to a Slackware linux 2.0.0 or later problem

10. Slackware problem! ftp.cdrom.com, post 28FEB!!

11. Slackware 1.2.0 - Telnet and ftp problem

12. Problem with Slackware 2.1.0 installation (v/s Slackware 2.0)