Howto change files in Dos format to Linux format

Howto change files in Dos format to Linux format

Post by Ronald Hoven » Tue, 14 Sep 1999 04:00:00

When I edit a plain text file on my win client and copy it to my linux
server, the file is in 'Dos format' (vi tells me this when I want to
edit it from the linux server).

How to change such a file into 'normal' linux format?

Ronald Hovens

Howto change files in Dos format to Linux format

Post by Simon Golicni » Tue, 14 Sep 1999 04:00:00

If you transfer files with ftp, switch transfer type in ftp client to ascii
Simon

Quote:> When I edit a plain text file on my win client and copy it to my linux
> server, the file is in 'Dos format' (vi tells me this when I want to
> edit it from the linux server).

> How to change such a file into 'normal' linux format?

> Ronald Hovens

Howto change files in Dos format to Linux format

Post by Lew Pitch » Tue, 14 Sep 1999 04:00:00

You could also run fromdos.
i.e.
    fromdos <dos_formatted_file.txt >unix.formatted.text.file

>If you transfer files with ftp, switch transfer type in ftp client to ascii
>Simon

>> When I edit a plain text file on my win client and copy it to my linux
>> server, the file is in 'Dos format' (vi tells me this when I want to
>> edit it from the linux server).

>> How to change such a file into 'normal' linux format?

>> Ronald Hovens

Lew Pitcher
System Consultant
Toronto Dominion Financial Group

1. Program to convert Unix file format to DOS / Windows format.

Hi ,
    I just saw a request on this list for a program to convert DOS files

to Unix.
    I would like a program to convert Unix format to DOS

                                                            Thanks
                                                                    Mike

2. mounting ide-scsi device

3. gdb: core file not in executable format: File format not recognized

4. VirtualHost Directories Policy

5. Convert vc file format to Lotus 1-2-3 file format?

6. wsm / websm security

7. SLS's a2-disk - DOS-formatted or raw-formatted??

8. SiS 530 Graphics Chip and little hair

9. can't format a dos-formatted floppy disk

10. copying files from unix to dos system in dos readable format

11. Hard Disk problem- can't change the ext format back to fat format!

12. Change DOS format to linux