ppp seems to work, but hangs setting default route.... ideas??

ppp seems to work, but hangs setting default route.... ideas??

Post by David Si » Sat, 04 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Hi folks,

  When trying to run ppp between two linux machines, I seem to have
everything working except the part where the default route gets set
up. When the script on the initiating machine runs, the phone dials,
the opposite end answers, I get logged in, ppp gets fired up on the
remote end, the addresses get negotiated, and then it hangs....

  If you do a 'netstat -r' on the originating machine you see
NO routes at all.... Just the header..... Any clues would be
greatly appreciated.... there's not much hair left and I'm trying
to conserve it :-)

TIA

Dave

ppp seems to work, but hangs setting default route.... ideas??

Post by Steve Morr » Sun, 05 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> Hi folks,

[stuff deleted ]

>   If you do a 'netstat -r' on the originating machine you see
> NO routes at all.... Just the header..... Any clues would be
> greatly appreciated.... there's not much hair left and I'm trying
> to conserve it :-)

What about "netstat -nr"? If this works OK then its probably a problem
with name resolution. If you're not running DNS locally you'll probably
need 2 versions of /etc/host.conf, one of which has "order hosts, bind"
for when you're connected to the outside world and the other with
"order hosts" for when you don't have DNS running.

Hope this helps

Steve

ppp seems to work, but hangs setting default route.... ideas??

Post by B.A.McCau.. » Sun, 05 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>  When trying to run ppp between two linux machines, I seem to have
>everything working except the part where the default route gets set
>up. When the script on the initiating machine runs, the phone dials,
>the opposite end answers, I get logged in, ppp gets fired up on the
>remote end, the addresses get negotiated, and then it hangs....

>  If you do a 'netstat -r' on the originating machine you see
>NO routes at all.... Just the header.....

This probably means that netstat is stalled attempting a name lookup.
Try examining the routing table in numeric form "netstat -r -n".

Chances are there's nothing wrong with your PPP setup, the problem is
with your DNS setup.

1. ssh client hangs when default route is set

Hi all!

I have a problem with my new Suse8.1 laptop:

ssh is working fine (LAN and localhost, dsa keys) when
1) no default route is set
2) the default route is set and the target host (my firewall) is up

ssh does not work (in my LAN and even to localhost) when
3) the default route is set and the target host is down.

I think that it has something to do with dns, but I am not sure

In /etc/host.conf the order of dns lookups is specified as
order hosts, bind
in /etc/hosts I have the name of my computer associated with the ip address,
and also localhost. The IPV6 addresses are all commented. ssh does not
listen to IPV6 addresses (that was the default configuration).

netstat -rn without default route:
Ziel      Router   Genmask       Flags MSS Fenster irtt Iface
10.1.1.0  0.0.0.0  255.255.255.0 U     40  0       0    eth0

netstat -rn with default router:
Ziel      Router   Genmask       Flags MSS Fenster irtt Iface
10.1.1.0  0.0.0.0  255.255.255.0 U     40  0       0    eth0
0.0.0.0   10.1.1.200 0.0.0.0     UG    40  0       0    eth0

ssh -vvv localhost
hangs at
1280: debug1: Local version string SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_3.4p1

This is the last message, then ssh hangs forever.

The activation of the default route leads ssh to do something on the
default router, I don't know what. I think it should ignore the
default route as the host name can be found in /etc/hosts, and the ordering
of the lookups is host,bind. I did not find any Hint in the logs.

Any Ideas?

Thanks in advance

    Jochen

2. What can stop init from starting???

3. Two interfaces: Set default default route?

4. Multiple PCI network card problems. (not simple)

5. ppp default route - not setting...

6. can't find XF86Setup

7. Default Route always sets default interface

8. tripwire 1.2 question

9. Stupid question - How do i set ppp to default route.

10. /etc/hosts and networks stop working once ppp default route is on

11. ppp no longer work after installed cable modem (now I have default route)

12. Default Route not working with ppp

13. pppd not setting up default route in routing table