IP Masquerading, NO Static IP, and Windows 95 ???

IP Masquerading, NO Static IP, and Windows 95 ???

Post by Jeff Yag » Tue, 27 Jan 1998 04:00:00

I recently set up a small network in my home which consists simply of
two
computers.  I would like to be able to share the same modem between both
connect to the internet (since I only have one phone line) but I have
encountered some problems:
1) I don't have a static IP (my IP is assigned randomely by my server
when I
log on)
2) I'm running Windows '95 (not NT or Linux)

Is there a program available for the Windows 95 OS that would allow me
to do
this?

IP Masquerading, NO Static IP, and Windows 95 ???

Post by nate dutr » Tue, 27 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> I recently set up a small network in my home which consists simply of
> two
> computers.  I would like to be able to share the same modem between both
> connect to the internet (since I only have one phone line) but I have
> encountered some problems:
> 1) I don't have a static IP (my IP is assigned randomely by my server
> when I
> log on)
> 2) I'm running Windows '95 (not NT or Linux)

> Is there a program available for the Windows 95 OS that would allow me
> to do
> this?

You can try WinGate but it royally sucks compared to ip masquerading.

Maybe you should try a windoze newsgroup if you're trying to do this with
windoze...

later.

btw don't expect anything to be legally free for doing this.  wingate has a
shareware policy but nothing else does.

--

I do not speak for Epic Systems Corporation...man!

Post by bgee » Thu, 29 Jan 1998 04:00:00

 >I recently set up a small network in my home which consists simply of
 >two
 >computers.  I would like to be able to share the same modem between both
 >connect to the internet (since I only have one phone line) but I have
 >encountered some problems:
 >1) I don't have a static IP (my IP is assigned randomely by my server
 >when I
 >log on)
 >2) I'm running Windows '95 (not NT or Linux)

Yes.  Check out my http://www.xmission.com:80/~bgeer/ipmasq.html web
page.  ipmasq is a script, callable from ppp-up after pppd, that waits
for ppp0 to be ifconfig'd & up, determines the IP, & sets the firewall
& masq rules listed in the mini-howto's recommendation.

Only thing I had to do to my Win95 machine was list my Linux box as
a gateway in the TCP/IP properties window.

--
<> Robert Geer & Donna Tomky /              *             <>

<>   Salt Lake City, Utah   |   -\<,      * <\      </L   <>
<>          U S A           |   O/ O     __ /__,    />    <>

1. IP over IP to make static IP?

Hmmm, I just had a weird idea. Lots of us run our nifty little servers out
of our basements, with the only problem being a dynamic IP address from our
ISP. My ISP's terms of service even allow me to run private servers.

Now what if some third party comes along, and has maybe a class C of IP
addresses at its disposable. And provides, for a subscription fee, IP over
IP tunneling where the destination is the current dynamic IP of a customer
as learned through HTTP callback or something.

So this third party could provide anyone with a dynamic IP a real static IP
address. The third party's cost would be: IP addresses (of course), and
bandwidth.

Is such a thing feasible? Does it already exist?

--
Jem Berkes
http://www.sysdesign.ca/

2. Slackware 2.02 Install Problem

3. Linux Box and 95 Box, one static IP

4. sun certification and training

5. IP for masqueraded net other than masquerading host IP

6. TCP and IP stacks

7. IP Masquerading with linux / 95 ...-

8. Q about obscure sendmail features for sun's 8.6 version

9. TCP/IP SCo Unix/Windows 95 connection

10. Any way to file transfer to a Windows 95 machine other than TCP/IP?

11. Windows 95 login problem on unix (TCP/IP) network

12. IP masquerade with static ports

13. IP Masquerading and Static IPs