Routing thru a second ethernet card (PLEASE HELP)

Routing thru a second ethernet card (PLEASE HELP)

Post by kenlair » Fri, 19 Nov 1999 04:00:00

I have this linux box A(RH5.0,kernel 2.0.32) connected to internet
thru eth0 and cable-modem,
eth1 connected to w98 box B thru crossover cable.
On box B I gave 10.5.3.15 with gateway 10.5.3.11 which is eth1
on box A.
From box A I can ping box B.
From box B I can ping eth1(10.5.3.11) and eth0(with its real IP
address).
My problem is,I want from box B to get beyond eth0 out to the
internet.From box A to internet it's OK.
I think its a routing problem,but I don't what route should I
set.
I would really appreciate any advice.

Ken Laird
--
Free audio & video emails, greeting cards and forums
Talkway - http://www.talkway.com - Talk more ways (sm)

Post by Lothar Behren » Tue, 23 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> I have this linux box A(RH5.0,kernel 2.0.32) connected to internet
> thru eth0 and cable-modem,
> eth1 connected to w98 box B thru crossover cable.
> On box B I gave 10.5.3.15 with gateway 10.5.3.11 which is eth1
> on box A.
> From box A I can ping box B.
> From box B I can ping eth1(10.5.3.11) and eth0(with its real IP
> address).
> My problem is,I want from box B to get beyond eth0 out to the
> internet.From box A to internet it's OK.
> I think its a routing problem,but I don't what route should I
> set.
> I would really appreciate any advice.

Hi,

You can use masquerating (kernel rebuild) or setup proxies for each kint
of service to use. Routing to the internet seems to be a little
difficult. also use your box A as your gateway.

Lothar

Quote:

> Ken Laird
> --
> Free audio & video emails, greeting cards and forums
> Talkway - http://www.talkway.com - Talk more ways (sm)

1. Two modems 1 ethernet card and two routes need help!

Hello:
        Here's the story, I am currently using diald to have a 33.6
modem connect to my ISP which assigns me a static IP...I have also
installed a 56K modem to connect to my ISP dynamically. I have performed
an exhaustive test of packets originating from our network and now know
who is using most of our internet bandwidth. With this information on
hand I would like to set up the following diald script.

           When one to the heavy hitters tries to go on the internet
that persons packets will be routed through the 56K modem rather than
the 33.6...all other packets destined for the internet will be routed
through the 33.6 initially.....

    Here's what I have tried to do.....Since there is only one ethernet
card in our router, I have aliased this card and assigned it another
IP....I have also set the "heavy hitters" machines to this IP. I have
used the command  *route add New_IP* to add this route. The only problem
I am having is configuring my diald script to dial the modem when it
sees packets destined for the new IP...Any suggestions? I added a new
line in diald of the form device /dev/modem (for the new modem) it
points at /dev/cua0 (the 56K). The 33.6 is on /dev/ttyS1......

    do I need to set up multiple diald daemons? How do I do this (I
checked the man pages, didn't tell me much)....Thans in advance and if
you have any other (better) suggestions I'd like to hear about
them......I DO NOT have cable modem access nor am I able to get an ISDN
line....Thanks!
                                                        Brian Gilman

2. boot failure with kernel 2.4.2. please help.

3. Setting up two ethernet cards -Please help

4. Tux still alive at King County Journal!

5. Routing problem with two ethernet cards (long)

6. Limiting files by size??

7. Easy Routing Question - Using two ethernet cards

8. Help: Environment set for inetd servers

9. route and two ethernet cards

10. IP routing through two ethernet cards

11. two ethernet cards and X packet routing

12. Two NIC cards => Possible to Configure Two Default Routes?

13. Routing Win 95 thru Linux w/ISDN and Ethernet