Boot Disk, Rescue disk, Start-up Disk

Post by c1tr1c 4c1 » Fri, 31 Aug 2001 13:52:05

Dear All,

I got a bit confused about the term Boot Disk, Rescue Disk, Start-up Disk,
What is the specific use of them? and  How to make one?

Sorry for this silly question.

thx

Boot Disk, Rescue disk, Start-up Disk

Post by Eric LEMAITR » Fri, 31 Aug 2001 18:15:12

Hi c1tr1c 4c1d     :-) !

>I got a bit confused about the term Boot Disk, Rescue Disk, Start-up Disk, What is the specific use of them? and  How to make one?

_ Boot disk is a disk you make at install for launching directly Linux.
It acts as a "direct link" to your Linux system. We need it for you that
LILO is used as a boot loader for both Linux & Windows, but it sometimes
hungs. When this happens, you can still make again a proper MBR for
Windows by booting on a bootable Windows floppy & typing "fdisk /mbr",
but this will make Windows only work, no way to boot again under Linux
for this erased LILO bootloader. So you use you boot disk, boot under
Linux & type "lilo" to fix it. You make one by using "mkbootdisk"
command under Linux.

_ Rescue disk is no longer used from RedHat 6.1 onwards, it has been
integrated directly on bootable CD-ROM. It is simply a very restricted
Linux OS excessively minimal, but so small that it totally runs in RAM,
allowing you to fix any disk trouble after a remount. With a RedHat 6.0,
you would have made one  rescue floppy using "rawrite" ("dosutils"
directory on CD) on "rescue.img" ("images" directory on CD) on Windows.

_ Startup disk is a disk for starting an installation, you have some of
them as options named from their image name on CD (see above) :
    * boot.img : initiates a boot on floppy then switches to CD-ROM for
a CD-ROM install, in case you cannot use the bootable CD-ROM feature
because you have no bootable CD-ROM BIOS.
    * bootnet.img : initiates a boot on floppy then switches to network,
for a network install, may be used for a totally automatic installation
(insert floppy, switch machine on, then leave and it is ready after some
time) using KickStart feature for RedHat. You need a network and a
server with some services to do that (DHCP, FTP, possibly NFS & DNS).
    * pcmcia.img : initiates a boot on floppy then switches to network,
for the very special case of a network install for a laptop with a
PCMCIA network card. You know that many laptop have an extractible bay
for either floppy or CD-ROM but not both at the same time, so they could
not begin on a floppy and carry on on a CD-ROM without being
disconnected. In this case, only network install through PCMCIA card is
possible.

All these 3 Startup disks are made using "rawrite" ("dosutils" directory
on CD) on "rescue.img" ("images" directory on CD). I forgot to say you
can use too "dd if=/mnt/cdrom/images/bootnet.img of=/dev/fd0" commands
or alike under Linux.

Quote:>Sorry for this silly question.

Sorry for you, it is not silly at all :-) .

Bye !

--
    ^
       Eric LEMAITRE

Post by David Efflan » Sat, 01 Sep 2001 21:06:53

> Dear All,

> I got a bit confused about the term Boot Disk, Rescue Disk, Start-up Disk,
> What is the specific use of them? and  How to make one?

Besides those mentioned in another reply you can make a boot disk for a
specific Linux by simply copying vmlinuz (bzImage) to the unmounted floppy
dev:  cp /boot/vmlinuz /dev/fd0 (might be different dev for ATAPI floppy).
However, if the kernel was not compiled on that actual system, you may
need to tell that image which partition is / (since it doesn't use LILO).

For any of these, DOS format the floppy first and make sure that it has NO
bad sectors, because boot images are written sequentially with no
filesystem and therefore don't know about bad sectors (not sure about
LILO boot floppies, but why take the chance).

--
David Efflandt  (Reply-To is valid)  http://www.de-srv.com/