nfs-mount rejects mounted partitions

Post by Klaus Reinhard » Wed, 29 Aug 2001 00:08:39

Hi!

I' m trying to mount locally a mounted partition
but without success. (The goal is a plip-connection).

After
   mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdb /cd
I can do
   mount -t nfs /cd /xxx

After
   mount -t vfat /dev/ha2 /hc
I can NOT do
   mount -t nfs /hc /yyy

But I mount a loop-device from /hc.

BTW: I tried all the options in /etc/fstab,
/etc/exports ..

Who has a hint?

        Klaus

nfs-mount rejects mounted partitions

Post by Tauno Voipi » Wed, 29 Aug 2001 01:31:15

Quote:> Hi!

> I' m trying to mount locally a mounted partition
> but without success. (The goal is a plip-connection).

> After
>    mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdb /cd
> I can do
>    mount -t nfs /cd /xxx

> After
>    mount -t vfat /dev/ha2 /hc
> I can NOT do
>    mount -t nfs /hc /yyy

> But I mount a loop-device from /hc.

NFS refuses to mount an imported NFS partition, of access control reasons.
The access rights of the VFAT partition may prevent the mount. Have you
checked the mounted access rights of the VFAT partition (they are set in
fstab as the umask mount options - the VFAT filesystem is dumb enough to be
totally ignorant of access rights).

Tauno Voipio

nfs-mount rejects mounted partitions

Post by Klaus Reinhard » Wed, 29 Aug 2001 05:47:54

Hi

Thank you for your quick answer, which I wanted to send an hour ago, but
I'm still struggling with netscape; now I use knode - have to install a
lot in linux.

I did in /etc/fstab
/dev/hda2       /hc                   vfat            umask=000   0   0
but without success (localhost, the last lo is my test-dir):
mount -t nfs lo:/hc lo
mount: lo:/hc failed, reason given by server: Keine Berechtigung

> > After
> >    mount -t vfat /dev/ha2 /hc
> > I can NOT do
> >    mount -t nfs /hc /yyy

> > But I mount a loop-device from /hc.

> NFS refuses to mount an imported NFS partition, of access control reasons.
> The access rights of the VFAT partition may prevent the mount. Have you
> checked the mounted access rights of the VFAT partition (they are set in
> fstab as the umask mount options - the VFAT filesystem is dumb enough to
> be totally ignorant of access rights).

> Tauno Voipio

1. NFS mount won't mount at boot, but mount -a works fine.

I'm trying to get an NFS share to mount at boot time, but it won't. However,
mount -a works just fine. I've tried playing with the retry= option with no
luck. nsswitch.conf is hosts: files dns, and I have an entry for the host in
/etc/hosts. The client machine is SUSE 8 (2.4 kernel), the server is SUSE 9
(2.6 kernel). My fstab entry looks like this:

 storage01:/array/    /home/array    nfs     rw,auto,sync

Does anyone have any ideas on this?

Thanks,
Brian

2. FTP Works, Netscape doesn't. Why?

3. /var/mail: to NFS mount or not to NFS mount?

4. configuring X windows

5. nfs mount to a nfs mount fails

6. can't make new user

7. nfs mount problem: mount: can't get address for nfs-server.kauai

8. Adaptec 2940 driver problem [Kernel 1.2.13]

9. Mounting timeout on NFS mount

10. Mount timeout on NFS mount

11. HELP: NFS MOUNT through mount( ) syscall

12. Soft mount VS hard mount (NFS)

13. NFS mounts in Red Hat 8.0 not mounted at boot