can't detect Motorola SM56 pci internal modem

can't detect Motorola SM56 pci internal modem

Post by Tommy Mo » Sun, 24 Mar 2002 23:04:21

hi guys,
it's me , the newbie again...i have a big problem trying to detect my
modem which is an SM56 ...i have gone to a couple of sites and
generally they mentioned that such so called modems are actually
winmodems which aren't really hardware modems...whatever...i found a
way to get around it by downloading the driver from the Motorola
website but i just don't know how to properly install the rpm for it;
here's an excerpt from the Motorola site...

NOTE: To maximize modem performance, enable Direct Memory Access (DMA)
for your Integrated Drive Electronics (IDE) hard drives. Enabling DMA
on your system may require an 80-pin cable for your IDE drives. Please
consult your PC manufacturer or system documentation.

The SM56 Linux driver does not support Symmetric MultiProcessing (SMP)
or concurrent processing by multiple processors.

Upgrade
To upgrade the SM56 Linux driver, first remove the previous RPM and
then install the current version. To remove the previous RPM issue the
following command logged in as root:

#rpm -e sm56

Installation
To install the driver, copy the RPM file to your system and issue the
following commands logged in as root:

#rpm -Uvh sm56-85.1-10.i386.rpm
#sm56setup [country-code]

The default country code is the United States. See the SM56 manpage
for a list of valid country codes.
======================================

the part i don't get is where they said to copy the RPM file to your
system......and assuming i got that right...at the console, after
typing in the rpm -Uvh part, i get this message : "gcc needed for
SM56-85.1-10.I386"...or something like that...i can't really remember
...cos i am now using MS IE to get here...pity me...i hope to fully
embrace linux A.S.A.P !

hope u guys n gals can help !

thanx,
from Tommy

can't detect Motorola SM56 pci internal modem

Post by Gaetan Martinea » Mon, 25 Mar 2002 00:15:23

Quote:> typing in the rpm -Uvh part, i get this message : "gcc needed for
> SM56-85.1-10.I386"...or something like that...i can't really remember

My thinking is (anybody correct me...): you probably do not have gcc
installed on your system (a program to compile C source code and produce
binary program files) on your system... So, for example, you cannot
compile any source code you may download... This capability is very
convenient, if not **mandatory**, for anybody who want to hack his
system even at least a little (or lot), like what you want to do with
your modem.

So the first RPM you need to run may be for installing this gcc program.
((G)NU (C) (C)ompiler, where GNU stands for (G)nu is (N)ot (U)nix)

After that, your "rpm -Uvh" command should produce more results,
hopefully positives! Good luck

--
Gatan Martineau et/ou Chantal Lortie
Aim for the moon.  If you miss, you may hit a star.

Post by Tommy Mo » Tue, 26 Mar 2002 13:38:17

> hi guys,
> it's me , the newbie again...i have a big problem trying to detect my
> modem which is an SM56 ...i have gone to a couple of sites and
> generally they mentioned that such so called modems are actually
> winmodems which aren't really hardware modems...whatever...i found a
> way to get around it by downloading the driver from the Motorola
> website but i just don't know how to properly install the rpm for it;
> here's an excerpt from the Motorola site...

OK,...so it was indeed the gcc problem which i have rectified but now
after having installed the rpm...still the modem cannot be
detected...so, where did i go wrong? Is there a command that i can use
to configure my modem thru the shell prompt?

can't detect Motorola SM56 pci internal modem

Post by Karl Heye » Tue, 26 Mar 2002 23:23:14

Quote:>> hi guys,
>> it's me , the newbie again...i have a big problem trying to detect my
>> modem which is an SM56 ...i have gone to a couple of sites and
>> generally they mentioned that such so called modems are actually
>> winmodems which aren't really hardware modems...whatever...i found a
>> way to get around it by downloading the driver from the Motorola
>> website but i just don't know how to properly install the rpm for it;
>> here's an excerpt from the Motorola site...

> OK,...so it was indeed the gcc problem which i have rectified but now
> after having installed the rpm...still the modem cannot be
> detected...so, where did i go wrong? Is there a command that i can use
> to configure my modem thru the shell prompt?

Check the /proc/pci file to see if it has proper resources allocated to
it,  typically the mem address and IRQ.   The package worked straight
off on a friends setup on installation although he has other problems
which seem to crash his machine.

IIRC the loaded a module (lsmod) and setup the /dev/modem symlink to
some other /dev file.  minicom worked away with the AT syntax.  So the
issue some something slightly different like IRQ routing and sharing of
interrupts causing problems.

karl.

1. modem Motorola SM56 PCI internal 56K install problem in RedHat's Linux 6.1

Plz, help me to install modem Motorola SM56 PCI internal 56K [brand
name is SinglePoint, by Cnet] (not a Winmodem) on RedHat's Linux 6.1.
Commands `statserial /dev/ttyS0`,  `statserial /dev/ttyS1`,
`statserial /dev/ttyS2`,  `statserial /dev/ttyS3`,  `statserial
/dev/ttyS4` produce output CTS = 0 and DSR = 0. But the manual sais at
least one of them should produce CRS = 1, DSR = 1.
Hlp Linux newbie, aka Windows Baby, to do things right.
There is no other serial devices in any PCI slots: the ports are
available.

2. multiple /usr/sbin/cron's running

3. modem Motorola SM56 PCI install problems on RedHat's Linux 6.1

4. Please help:Deleted ld.so.1!

5. motorola sm56 Speakerphone internal modem

6. Getting paid for Unix work (Re: Line-Noise Monger Lantz (Re: Hate Monger Limbaugh))

7. Debian PPC Books?

8. motorola sm56 internal modem

9. motorola sm56 Speakerphone internal modem

10. Red Hat Linux 7.2 does not detect my Modem: Motorola SM56

11. SM56 Modem Motorola PCI

12. Motorola SM56 PCI Speakerphone Modem