Help needed with wireless LAN (RedHat 7.1)...

Help needed with wireless LAN (RedHat 7.1)...

Post by Mike » Fri, 01 Jun 2001 17:26:16

Hi,

I'm a newbie with a Dell Latitude C600 and a D-Link DWL-650 wireless lan
card (802.11b).  I've used the card to connect successfully to my base
station under Windows2000, but I haven't quite been able to get it to work
under Red Hat 7.1. Close, but not quite:

I followed the instructions on http://www.focusresearch.com/dwl-650.html
which seemed to be the most specific I could find for this card.  I
configured wireless.opts with my wireless network settings which wasn't
mentioned in these instructions.

The system automatcially recognizes the card, creates an ethernet interface
'eth1', and starts the wvlan_cs driver.  The driver complains that it's not
the right driver. But according to the instructions this driver should work.

Output from ifconfig and iwconfig seem to indicate that the card is running
and connected to the base station:

ifconfig:
eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr XXXXXXXXXX

UP BROADCAST RUNNING MTU:1500 Metric:1

collisions:0

lo Link encap:Local Loopback

inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0

UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1

collisions:0

'iwconfig' doesn't show eth1, but 'iwconfig eth1' gives:

eth1 IEEE 802.11-DS ESSID:"xxxxxx" Nickname:"Prism I"

Frequency:2.437GHz Sensitivity:1/3 Mode:Managed

Access Point: XXXXXXXXXXXX

Bit Rate:2Mb/s RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off

Encryption key:off

Power Management:off

Link quality:25/92 Signal level:-77 dBm Noise level:-102 dBm

Rx invalid nwid:0 invalid crypt:0 invalid misc:2

However, I can't reach any network facilities including my base station.
When I bring up the "Network Management" application, the eth1 interface is
"inactive".  And if I try to activate it through the application, the
application freezes.

Any help would be appreciated.  Please let me know if there is more
diagnostic info I can provide.  Thanks in advance.

Help needed with wireless LAN (RedHat 7.1)...

Post by D Knisel » Sat, 02 Jun 2001 07:22:34

You have accomplished all the hard parts, and it looks like you just need to
do the easy part...

Your interface is working perfectly, but you didn't configure an Ethernet
address for eth1.

You need to create a file in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts called
ifcfg-eth1.  Here is an example of the file assuming that the IP address
will be assigned by DHCP (automatically):

# cat ifcfg-eth1
DEVICE=eth1
ONBOOT=yes
BOOTPROTO=dhcp

Here is an example if you are assigning a fixed IP address:
# cat ifcfg-eth1
DEVICE="eth1"
IPADDR=192.168.0.1
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
BROADCAST=192.168.0.255
ONBOOT=yes

After adding this file, you can either restart networking completely
(/etc/rc.d/init.d/network restart) or just try to bring up eth1 (ifup eth1).

That should do it.

D. Knisely

Quote:> Hi,

> I'm a newbie with a Dell Latitude C600 and a D-Link DWL-650 wireless lan
> card (802.11b).  I've used the card to connect successfully to my base
> station under Windows2000, but I haven't quite been able to get it to work
> under Red Hat 7.1. Close, but not quite:

> I followed the instructions on http://www.focusresearch.com/dwl-650.html
> which seemed to be the most specific I could find for this card.  I
> configured wireless.opts with my wireless network settings which wasn't
> mentioned in these instructions.

> The system automatcially recognizes the card, creates an ethernet
interface
> 'eth1', and starts the wvlan_cs driver.  The driver complains that it's
not
> the right driver. But according to the instructions this driver should
work.

> Output from ifconfig and iwconfig seem to indicate that the card is
running
> and connected to the base station:

> ifconfig:
> eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr XXXXXXXXXX

> UP BROADCAST RUNNING MTU:1500 Metric:1

> collisions:0

> lo Link encap:Local Loopback

> inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0

> UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1

> collisions:0

> 'iwconfig' doesn't show eth1, but 'iwconfig eth1' gives:

> eth1 IEEE 802.11-DS ESSID:"xxxxxx" Nickname:"Prism I"

> Frequency:2.437GHz Sensitivity:1/3 Mode:Managed

> Access Point: XXXXXXXXXXXX

> Bit Rate:2Mb/s RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off

> Encryption key:off

> Power Management:off

> Link quality:25/92 Signal level:-77 dBm Noise level:-102 dBm

> Rx invalid nwid:0 invalid crypt:0 invalid misc:2

> However, I can't reach any network facilities including my base station.
> When I bring up the "Network Management" application, the eth1 interface
is
> "inactive".  And if I try to activate it through the application, the
> application freezes.

> Any help would be appreciated.  Please let me know if there is more
> diagnostic info I can provide.  Thanks in advance.

Help needed with wireless LAN (RedHat 7.1)...

Post by Frank Bru » Wed, 06 Jun 2001 22:41:55

I am having a similar problem on my new Vaio Z505LS. I installed Redhat 7.1 and it
it recognizes my card as per the previous email. I followed the instructions in
the followup email and configured the ifcfg-eth1 to do DHCP. The linux side
of iwconfig sees the access point (The MAC address it shows is correct), and
is configured properly. The accesspoint DHCP client list shows that it has
assigned an address to the adapter, but the linux side doesn't show an IP. So...
I then configured it to use a static IP. I brought down the eth0 interface and
added a route:

route add default gw 192.168.1.1 dev eth1

Now I get network unreachable.
Please help. I feel that I am probably 99% there, but the last 1% is beyond
my meager knowledge.

Thanks,
Frank

> [...]

> > 'iwconfig' doesn't show eth1, but 'iwconfig eth1' gives:

> > eth1 IEEE 802.11-DS ESSID:"xxxxxx" Nickname:"Prism I"

> > Frequency:2.437GHz Sensitivity:1/3 Mode:Managed

> > Access Point: XXXXXXXXXXXX

> > Bit Rate:2Mb/s RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off

> > Encryption key:off

> > Power Management:off

> > Link quality:25/92 Signal level:-77 dBm Noise level:-102 dBm

> > Rx invalid nwid:0 invalid crypt:0 invalid misc:2

> > However, I can't reach any network facilities including my base station.
> > When I bring up the "Network Management" application, the eth1 interface
>  is
> > "inactive".  And if I try to activate it through the application, the
> > application freezes.

> > Any help would be appreciated.  Please let me know if there is more
> > diagnostic info I can provide.  Thanks in advance.

Help needed with wireless LAN (RedHat 7.1)...

Post by Dean Thompso » Thu, 07 Jun 2001 12:16:00

Hi Frank,

Quote:> I am having a similar problem on my new Vaio Z505LS. I installed Redhat 7.1
> and it it recognizes my card as per the previous email. I followed the
> instructions in the followup email and configured the ifcfg-eth1 to do
> DHCP. The linux side of iwconfig sees the access point (The MAC address it
> shows is correct), and is configured properly. The accesspoint DHCP client
> list shows that it has assigned an address to the adapter, but the linux
> side doesn't show an IP. So... I then configured it to use a static IP. I
> brought down the eth0 interface and added a route:

> route add default gw 192.168.1.1 dev eth1

> Now I get network unreachable.
> Please help. I feel that I am probably 99% there, but the last 1% is beyond
> my meager knowledge.

Is the machine 192.168.1.1 on the eth1 device your default gateway ?
Check with your ifconfig command to make sure that the wireless ethernet card
has been recognised and that it is successfully transmitting AND receiving
packets.  It could be a case as with some wireless cards that there is a
IO/IRQ conflict.

However, it would be interesting to take a look at your /sbin/route -n command
to make sure that your routing table is in order.

See ya

Dean Thompson

1. Need help getting Linksys Wireless Ethernet to work with RedHat 7.1

Hi there,

I'm having a devil of a time trying to get my Linksys WPC11 wireless
ethernet card to work on my laptop.

I have a laptop running RedHat 7.1, with kernel 2.4.2. I'd rather not have
to compile the kernel, since I'm a bit new at the Linux game and wary of
over-complicating life. When I boot my machine with the standard RedHat
laptop configuration, I get a message that says "wavelan_cs can't recognize
card vendor". All the other pcmcia functions are fine, and it's definitely
recognizing that a card is in the slot (provides power to it and detects the
card name).

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can get this to work?

Thanks in advance!

2. Directory heading

3. CNET Wireless LAN in Redhat 7.1

4. MICROS~1 Sells AV

5. Intel PRO/Wireless 2011B USB LAN with RedHat 7.1

6. How to mounting the DOS file system

7. Redhat 7.1 and DWL-650 wireless LAN card

8. newfs -i option greater than 8192 possible?

9. WIRELESS: Need help with Linksys Wireless PC Card (WPC11) & RedHat 7.0

10. only show Wireless LAN submenu if Wireless LAN is selected

11. How to setup Proxim Symphony PnP ISA Wireless NIC under RedHat 7.1?

12. RedHat 7.1 Network trouble (wireless: D-Link DWL-650, LinkSys BEFWS14)

13. SMC 2602W wireless card + Redhat 7.1?