CAT-5 cable stuck in ethernet port - can't remove

CAT-5 cable stuck in ethernet port - can't remove

Post by patiw.. » Thu, 27 Apr 2006 18:43:13

I just bought a brand-new laptop (Thinpad R52) and connected a CAT-5
cable into the Ethernet port.  It seemed a bit tight at first when
inserting the cable, but after a bit of pressure, I felt the cable snap
in to place.  Everything worked fine until I tried to remove the cable.
 Pressing down on the clip of the RJ45 connector results in a very
quiet snapping sound (as usual), but the cable is still stuck hard in
place.

I've tried multiple angles, nudging it in deeper and then trying to
remove it, pressing down both soft and * the clip, but the cable
is still stuck in the port.  This problem is pretty frustrating - in
years of using networking gear I've never seen a cable stuck like this
before.  Any tips to removing that cable - without damaging the
Ethernet port - would be greatfully welcomed.

patiwat_at_sloan.mit.edu

CAT-5 cable stuck in ethernet port - can't remove

Post by Gran » Thu, 27 Apr 2006 18:52:04

Quote:> Pressing down on the clip of the RJ45 connector results in a very
>quiet snapping sound (as usual), but the cable is still stuck hard in
>place.

Networking was working?  --> you didn't jam connector into wrong hole?

Quote:>I've tried multiple angles, nudging it in deeper and then trying to
>remove it, pressing down both soft and * the clip, but the cable
>is still stuck in the port.  This problem is pretty frustrating - in
>years of using networking gear I've never seen a cable stuck like this
>before.  Any tips to removing that cable - without damaging the
>Ethernet port - would be greatfully welcomed.

A very small (jeweller's) screwdriver to apply pressure on the
tongue of the retaining clip?  Perhaps warm up the plastic with
a hairdryer first to reduce brittleness, risk of snapping the
small plastic bits.

Bright light and magnifier to try see what's catching.

And much patience ;)

Grant.
--
Memory fault -- brain fried

Post by Gran » Thu, 27 Apr 2006 18:57:31

>> Pressing down on the clip of the RJ45 connector results in a very
>> quiet snapping sound (as usual), but the cable is still stuck hard in
>> place.

>Something make me think that the clip is just broken. Use a very small
>screwdriver to press the little hook inside the port, or bring the
>laptop and the cable to a shop and have them do it (if they break it,
>they'll have to pay it).

At least we offer similar suggestions, your shop idea is good idea :)

Quote:

>BTW, where is the 'linux' angle in all this?

'cos linux users can do silly things just as well as windoze users?

Networking?

Grant.
--
Memory fault -- brain fried

CAT-5 cable stuck in ethernet port - can't remove

Post by patiw.. » Thu, 27 Apr 2006 19:01:34

It worked!  Thanks so much.  Turns out the right way was to press down
* the deep in the clip using a very small screwdriver, and then
*gently* pull the cable out.  That was a lifesaver.

Post by AZ Noma » Fri, 28 Apr 2006 12:05:08

>>> Pressing down on the clip of the RJ45 connector results in a very
>>> quiet snapping sound (as usual), but the cable is still stuck hard in
>>> place.

>>Something make me think that the clip is just broken. Use a very small
>>screwdriver to press the little hook inside the port, or bring the
>>laptop and the cable to a shop and have them do it (if they break it,
>>they'll have to pay it).
>At least we offer similar suggestions, your shop idea is good idea :)

>>BTW, where is the 'linux' angle in all this?
>'cos linux users can do silly things just as well as windoze users?

and can't figure out how to post to an appropriate newsgroup?
Quote:>Networking?
>Grant.

1. Alcatel Cat-5 cable question...

  Having read all kinds of conflicting notes on
various newsgroups about this issue...the question
is do you need a cat-5 "crosscable" from the Alcatel Speed
Home to a router, etc. Or will a regular cable do..this is
when the Modem is in a bridging mode.

Many thanks from someone who is running the
Alcatel Home model and knows for sure which
cable is in the system...

Leonard...

2. XFree86 Beta F Problem...

3. Serial ports 'stuck' on a Sun Fire 280

4. newbie modem

6. exit();

7. mp3 'cat' and 'split' commands

8. indecision in choosing IF

9. It's not bad canned meat...

10. 'cat file' but only if 'file' exist

11. It's not bad canned meat...

12. Ethernet IRQ conflict - I'm stuck

13. 'mount' say NO iso9660 support and 'cat /proc/filesystems' say YES!!!