Newbie: question about for kernel update for PCI NE2000 Redhat4.2

Newbie: question about for kernel update for PCI NE2000 Redhat4.2

Post by Maarten Sande » Sun, 24 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Hi everyone,
I am an absolute newbie on Linux (so I write this under Win) and a
have a problem to which I cannot find an answer. I borrowed a Redhat
4.2 cd and managed to install Redhat 4.2  and LILO. The problem is
that I need an updated kernel (redhat4.2 comes with 2.0.30) to get my
NIC working. The problem is that I download (under Win) an updated
kernel but it is over 2 MB, kernel-2_0_36-3_i386.rpm. I have not a
clue how to get this file on my linux partitions. (Where should I put
it anyway?)
How to solve the problem above?
Kind regards,
Maarten Sanders.
P.S. If possible I would like to receive a copy any answer also by
mail.

===========
sending mail? remove .nospam from my e-mail address

Newbie: question about for kernel update for PCI NE2000 Redhat4.2

Post by Tobias Frec » Sun, 24 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Hi Maarten!
You can mount FAT-Partitions from Linux. So you can access them like a
normal subdir.
Do "man mount"

probably you have to do something like

mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt

This will mount the first partition to the subdir /mnt.
I can't remember which option determined the partition type, use (vfat,
msdos or fat). I guessed -t here. Have a look in "man mount".

Hope it helped a bit.

Ciao, TobiF