cpio to a remote host? (Linux to Unix)

Post by Glenn Johnso » Fri, 13 Dec 1996 04:00:00

When I try to cpio to a device on a remote unix host, I receive the error
'Permission denied.  I/O Error.'  My syntax is "cpio -i -F

directory on the remote host w/ the local host's ip address included in it.
 I can, by the way, telnet, ftp, etc. to the unixhost.  Am I wasting my
time trying to cpio between linux & unix because of incompatibility or
should I not be able to do this?

Post by Paul Russel » Fri, 13 Dec 1996 04:00:00

> When I try to cpio to a device on a remote unix host, I receive the error
> 'Permission denied.  I/O Error.'  My syntax is "cpio -i -F

> directory on the remote host w/ the local host's ip address included in it.
>  I can, by the way, telnet, ftp, etc. to the unixhost.  Am I wasting my
> time trying to cpio between linux & unix because of incompatibility or
> should I not be able to do this?

Does `rlogin' work from the local to remote host (without prompting
for a password)?  This uses the same mechanism.  If it doesn't, try
making sure that your .rhosts on the remote host is owned by you, has
permissions 644 or less (-rw-r--r--), your home directory isn't
group/world writable, and that it contains the canonical name of the
host you are cpio'ing from.  If you are running DNS, this means the
fully qualified domain name (eg `foobar.sjpta.com' not just `foobar').
If you are not running DNS, this means the FIRST (leftmost) name
of the host in /etc/hosts.

Hope this helps,
Paul.
--

Lies, damned lies, and out-of-date documentation.
Currently contracted to Telstra, Sydney.

Post by Paul Bo » Fri, 13 Dec 1996 04:00:00

> > When I try to cpio to a device on a remote unix host, I receive the error
> > 'Permission denied.  I/O Error.'  My syntax is "cpio -i -F

> > directory on the remote host w/ the local host's ip address included in it.
> >  I can, by the way, telnet, ftp, etc. to the unixhost.  Am I wasting my
> > time trying to cpio between linux & unix because of incompatibility or
> > should I not be able to do this?

> Does `rlogin' work from the local to remote host (without prompting
> for a password)?  This uses the same mechanism.  If it doesn't, try
> making sure that your .rhosts on the remote host is owned by you, has
> permissions 644 or less (-rw-r--r--), your home directory isn't
> group/world writable, and that it contains the canonical name of the
> host you are cpio'ing from.  If you are running DNS, this means the
> fully qualified domain name (eg `foobar.sjpta.com' not just `foobar').
> If you are not running DNS, this means the FIRST (leftmost) name
> of the host in /etc/hosts.

> Hope this helps,
> Paul.
> --

> Lies, damned lies, and out-of-date documentation.
> Currently contracted to Telstra, Sydney.

What I do, on SCO machines, is the following:

rsh remote_mach dd if=/dev/tape_device | cpio -i

I just tested it on my Linux box, and this command line will work on a
Linux machine connecting to a SCO machine (with the tape drive on the
SCO machine).

--
Paul Bonn
Top-Seal Corporation

1. cpio to a remote host? (Linux to Unix)

Have you tried adding the machine's name to /etc/hosts.equiv?  :)

-Marsala
--
"Waving away a cloud of smoke, I look up, and am blinded by a bright, white
light. It's God. No, not Richard Stallman, or Linus Torvalds, but God. In

2. How to run a program that is written by perl?

3. Problem dumping remote host (linux) to SCO host

4. Chkdsk equivalent

5. How to allow access to LPD (UNIX print server) from remote hosts?

6. Changing Time Display Format...

7. My Solaris 2.8 machine resolves remote host names differently than my other UNIX machines

8. Re-circumcising Cypherfart

9. Print from remote Unix host to Windows network workstations

10. Can't ping SCO Unix 3.2 Host from remote locations

11. Running a unix command from a 2000 machine on a remote tru64 4.0f host

12. remote printer for other unix...lpd, host.lpd, etc

13. GNU-tar to remote host and "host lookup failure"