Setup subdmain for my users

Post by mailtog.. » Tue, 17 Oct 2006 19:36:13

Hi Experts,

  I am a newbie to Linux world!!!. I do experience with C++ and Python
programming on Linux. Now I am developing a web site using django
framework (python based). I am planing to use CentOS and plan to put up
the site for intenet users.

I have a spl requirements.. If my users signup, I will give  a
sub-domain for them.. For example,if mysite called XYZ.com, and the
user named 'Krish' signup on the XYZ.com, I want to provide him a
domain called krish.XYZ.com.

Is this possible? If then what I need to do? please guide me..

Thanks & Regards,

Krish

Setup subdmain for my users

Post by Michael Heimin » Wed, 18 Oct 2006 05:41:39

Quote:> Hi Experts,
>  I am a newbie to Linux world!!!. I do experience with C++ and Python
> programming on Linux. Now I am developing a web site using django
> framework (python based). I am planing to use CentOS and plan to put up
> the site for intenet users.
> I have a spl requirements.. If my users signup, I will give  a
> sub-domain for them.. For example,if mysite called XYZ.com, and the
> user named 'Krish' signup on the XYZ.com, I want to provide him a
> domain called krish.XYZ.com.
> Is this possible? If then what I need to do? please guide me..

Sure, but has large security risks, needs some planning to reject
usernames invalid in DNS name space and you need to control the
nameservers authoritative for XYZ.com of course.

I wouldn't automate this, it's likely you will be abused and
hopefully disconnected from the internet asap.

#bofh excuse 19: floating point processor overflow

Setup subdmain for my users

Post by Jeroen Geilma » Wed, 18 Oct 2006 05:56:58

> Hi Experts,

>   I am a newbie to Linux world!!!. I do experience with C++ and Python
> programming on Linux. Now I am developing a web site using django
> framework (python based). I am planing to use CentOS and plan to put up
> the site for intenet users.

And you're a Linux "newbie".. oh my :)

Quote:> I have a spl requirements.. If my users signup, I will give  a
> sub-domain for them.. For example,if mysite called XYZ.com, and the
> user named 'Krish' signup on the XYZ.com, I want to provide him a
> domain called krish.XYZ.com.

> Is this possible?

Of course - anything is possible.

Quote:> If then what I need to do?

Couple of questions:

A. do you host your own DNS ?
I don't mean "do you run a nameserver" - any n00b can do that.
I mean is your nameserver authoritative for your domain ?
If your answer is "I don't know", then believe me, it isn't.

B. are you talking about hosting full-blown DNS here, or just a web site
with their name in it ?

If the latter, apache can do this easily - there is even a special
configuration to make this possible with a minimum of trouble.

If the former - read, read some more, digest, and read again.

J.

Setup subdmain for my users

Post by Moe Tr » Wed, 18 Oct 2006 11:45:53

On 16 Oct 2006, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.networking, in article

Quote:>  I am a newbie to Linux world!!!. I do experience with C++ and Python
>programming on Linux. Now I am developing a web site using django
>framework (python based). I am planing to use CentOS and plan to put up
>the site for intenet users.

You really should gain experience with basic networking before you jump
off the bridge like that.

Quote:>I have a spl requirements.. If my users signup, I will give  a
>sub-domain for them.. For example,if mysite called XYZ.com, and the
>user named 'Krish' signup on the XYZ.com, I want to provide him a
>domain called krish.XYZ.com.

Assuming you have approval from your ISP and are willing to take the
responsibility for any abuse you users may do, there is nothing very
difficult setting up sub-domains.   The question is, what would these
sub-domains be used for?  Mail? (Be extremely careful.)  Web hosting?
IRC chat?

Quote:>Is this possible? If then what I need to do? please guide me..

You need to explain what the domains are to be used for. Creating the
domains as children of your registered domain (and therefore you don't
need to notify an Internet registrar) may be as simple as sub-delegating
DNS zones - although unless you have a block of IP addresses, the rDNS
is going to be a nightmare that gets your domain listed in various
blocklists if the address range isn't already in multiple lists.  On
your _main_ domain, don't forget to set up AND CLOSELY MONITOR the
mail role accounts required by RFC2142.

        Old guy

Setup subdmain for my users

Post by mailtog.. » Wed, 18 Oct 2006 12:36:27

Hi,

 I am sorry about very little explanation about my requirements..Here
some more explanations..

Hosting Environment
------------------------------

- 'N' number of dedicated server/Colocation server running on Linux
('CentOS')
- I have my own registered domain (say xyz.com)
- Apache web server with mod_python (+Django , a lovable python
framework (www.djangoproject.com)

Basically our site shall based on HTTP protocol. We are not leasing any
other protocols like FTP, Mail, POP3, SMTP, Telnet etc to users. It is
strictly HTTP and for securtity reason we would use HTTPS also (for
user registration, login etc)

Our website goal is social networking.. For example you can consider
myspace.com, where the user register and blog their posts...

When the user sign-up, I want to provide him a subdomain to access his
webpage through internet(for example, blogspot.com does this). Obviosly
his/her site should be able to accessed via www.xyz.com/Krish or
Krish.xyz.com. But for the sub-domain, the user is allowed to access
via HTTP (port , 80) protocol.

I worked on HTTP, HTTPS, FTP, SMTP, POP3, TELNET, etc protocols. I
worked on web related technologies. But I didn't get clear picture
about DNS and setting up a DNS for my requirements.

Here is the use case for the same..

1. Anonymous user open the web on any GUI browser (www.xyz.com)
2. He clicks the SignUp button. The page is redirected to
HTTPS://www.xyz.com/signup
3. He submit the desired userid and click register button. (The request
is directed to HTTPS://www.xyz.com/singup via POST method)
4. He has been sent a email to confirm his membership
5. Upon the confirmation, a subdomain is created as his userid and user
membership has been activiated
6. Now user can access his home page via userid.xyz.com

Here what I need
-------------------------

1. How to do this setup in automated manner?
2. To run the DNS server for my sub-domain do I need to pay money?
3. Can I run my own DNS server free of cost?
4. Recommend me some DNS servers available in free of cost(most likely
BSD license) and supports dynamic registration. (Server should not
require any restart like windows :-)  )
5. Am I missing something in the big picture :-( ?

I am very sorry about my bad english :-(

Thanks & Regards,

Krish

Setup subdmain for my users

Post by Moe Tr » Thu, 19 Oct 2006 04:54:30

On 16 Oct 2006, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.networking, in article

Quote:>Our website goal is social networking.. For example you can consider
>myspace.com, where the user register and blog their posts...

As long as you monitor that.

Quote:>When the user sign-up, I want to provide him a subdomain to access his
>webpage through internet(for example, blogspot.com does this).

Be VERY VERY CAREFUL.  You are just begging to be abused.

Quote:>I worked on HTTP, HTTPS, FTP, SMTP, POP3, TELNET, etc protocols. I
>worked on web related technologies. But I didn't get clear picture
>about DNS and setting up a DNS for my requirements.

That's because they are quite different services. I suppose you could
start with the DNS-HOWTO.

Quote:>Here is the use case for the same..

That is a disaster waiting to happen.

Quote:>1. How to do this setup in automated manner?

DO NOT.  The world has more than enough spam sites, and really doesn't
need any more. The problem with your idea is that there is no one looking
at things BEFORE the spammer gets to use your site.

Quote:>2. To run the DNS server for my sub-domain do I need to pay money?

Your domain registrar _should_ have required two different IP addresses
for name servers (ICANN requirement), and these should not be located on
the same site (redundancy). Thus, you will probably need to pay someone
to host the 'off-site' server.  Your 'sub-domains' would appear no worse
than having multiple hosts in a single domain (www.userid.example.com
can be an alias for userid.example.com - which from a DNS standpoint is
the same as hostname.example.com), which the DNS howto covers.

Quote:>3. Can I run my own DNS server free of cost?

One of them - the other should be elsewhere. If you have a second ISP,
or can host the second server on your ISPs site, that's fine. You just
don't want (example) a simple power outage caused by a blown fuse taking
out all of your systems.

Quote:>4. Recommend me some DNS servers available in free of cost(most likely
>BSD license) and supports dynamic registration. (Server should not
>require any restart like windows :-)  )

What's wrong with bind?  But I warn you again - DO NOT AUTOMATE THIS. There
must be a knowledgeable human in the loop who approves things on a case by
case basis.

Quote:>5. Am I missing something in the big picture :-( ?

Yes, I suspect so. You are proposing something that is terribly easy to
abuse, and the Internet has plenty of systems like that already - we don't
need any more.

Quote:>I am very sorry about my bad english :-(

Your English is fine.

        Old guy

1. power users windows setup & linux setup - spooky

Here is a realisation.

I've been a 'power user' in windows for years.   That's a silly label
really, I'm good at using & maintaining the PC anyway.

Well, my typical windows session has one or more 'productivity apps'
open, a web browser, a help file on something and a dosbox for CLI
things I occasionally prefer to do 'on the line', and windows
explorer.  It's quite a common setup from what I see.

Just the other day I looked at my linux desktop.   It had pretty much
the same setup!  Only this time I had them split very nicely between
the four screens under kde, and xterm is so much better to use than a
dosbox, I also had a couple of man pages open under other xterms on
one of the screens, i think I prefer a well structured hlp/chm file
though, i'll get used to man pages i'm sure.   I was only messing
about too.

For this kind of use, under a GUI, I think linux w/kde beats W2000, as
a 'power user' workstation desktop.  Not by a mile or anything that
expectular - but it's better, I like it.  Perhaps windows power users
are unknowingly trying to make their windows sessions act like a linux
session, if only they knew!

I just spent some hard saved money too - something I all too rarely
get to do for my own PCs.   An order for a 20gb drive, some extra ram,
and a budget agp card for my cobbled together old celeron system.  Add
in an order for a mandrake 8.2 set and the total comes to less than an
upgrade to XP professional - the closest matching alternative I could
think of.  Ironically those hardware upgrades would have made the
system quite capable of running XP, but then I wouldn't have been able
to spare the money for XP itself.  There's some marketing lesson in
there I'm sure.

8.2 sounds like quite a jump up from 7.1, so it'll be fun giving it
the proper HDD space to show itself fully.

2. Trouble Connecting SyJet Drive to Sun Hardware

3. how to user C language to convert a known user id to a user name

4. Trap ignored by background processes?

5. PROBLEM: cd ~user results in "user: Unknown user"

6. Multiple Boot Help Needed

7. Can use the console after rebooting with a /reconfigure

8. User as /user/ instead of /~user/ ?

9. How can I setup each user's database size in MYSQL is 10MB?

10. sftp only user account setup???

11. bash script to input values to a program's setup (user interactive mode)

12. User Quota setup & config