How to setup Network Card in Redhat Linux 5.1?

How to setup Network Card in Redhat Linux 5.1?

Post by Liang Ji » Thu, 20 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Hi All,

I just installed a Redhat Linux 5.1 from a FTP site. My PC is connected
with INTERNET through a 3C905-TX network interface card. During the
installation, the Linux had no problem to connect with the ftp site and
download all the necessary files. However, after installation, I found
that I can not use telnet, netscape and all the other network-related
applications. Besides, the Kernal Configurator reports that a module
information file is missing, hence we can't config the network card. It
seems that the network is not setup properly, although I keyed in the
information such as IP address, DNS and gateway during
the installation.

I will appreciate it greatly if any of you can tell me how to solve this

convenient to you.

Thank you.

Sincerely yours,

Liang Jie

Post by Brandon Beasle » Thu, 20 Aug 1998 04:00:00

> Hi All,

> I just installed a Redhat Linux 5.1 from a FTP site. My PC is connected
> with INTERNET through a 3C905-TX network interface card. During the
> installation, the Linux had no problem to connect with the ftp site and
> download all the necessary files. However, after installation, I found
> that I can not use telnet, netscape and all the other network-related
> applications. Besides, the Kernal Configurator reports that a module
> information file is missing, hence we can't config the network card. It
> seems that the network is not setup properly, although I keyed in the
> information such as IP address, DNS and gateway during
> the installation.

> I will appreciate it greatly if any of you can tell me how to solve this

> convenient to you.

> Thank you.

> Sincerely yours,

> Liang Jie

It is quite difficult to diagnose your complicated problem via the
internet.  You should look at the HOWTOs on ethernet cards, networking and
internet available at www.linux.org

Also, your RH51 cd should have all the HOWTO's in the /doc directory.

With TCP/IP you should start out by making sure your ip address is
appropriate.  Check your /etc/hosts file.  Etcetera, etcetera.

If you read the HOWTOs, I bet you get your problem*ed!

1. How to Setup Network for Redhat Linux 5.1?

Hi All,

I just installed a Redhat Linux 5.1 from a FTP site. My PC is connected
with INTERNET through a 3Com 3C59x network interface card. During the
installation, the Linux had no problem to connect with the ftp site and
download all the necessary files. However, after installation, I found
that I can not use telnet, netscape and all the other network-related
applications, it seems that the network is not setup properly, although
I keyed in the information such as IP address, DNS and gateway during
the installation.

I will appreciate it greatly if any of you can tell me how to solve this

convenient to you.

Thank you.

Sincerely yours,

Liang Jie

2. ufsrestore record size error

3. RedHat 5.1 Network Setup

4. port translation on same network

5. ATI RAGE FURY PRO HELP!!!

6. modem-network card conflict under RedHat 5.1

7. redhat 5.1 installing network card

8. smc9432tx network card; RedHat 5.1; 3com905b

9. Redhat 5.1 doesn't probe my network card

10. Redhat 5.1....A Toshiba Libretto70CT...and a Kingmac PCMCIA Network card......wow....what a mess.

11. SMC Etherpower Cardbus Network Card (PCMCIA) on RedHat 5.1