open socket connection

Post by Sylvain Si » Sun, 19 Sep 1999 04:00:00

hi,
I'm doing some socket programming now. May I know must I be the root in
order to open a socket?

thanks.

open socket connection

Post by RobertQuir » Sun, 19 Sep 1999 04:00:00

NO!!!!! you don't have to be root to open a socket. You use FTP and telnet
without
going super-user and none of these programs /bin/telnet etc. have the
setuser
permission set.

>hi,
>I'm doing some socket programming now. May I know must I be the root in
>order to open a socket?

>thanks.

open socket connection

Post by Suds » Sun, 19 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> hi,
> I'm doing some socket programming now. May I know must I be the root in
> order to open a socket?

> thanks.

You only need to be root if you're trying to bind to one of the "well-
known ports", typically socket number less than 1024 (although
some UNIX variants use different numbers for this.)

open socket connection

Post by Michael Ransbu » Sun, 19 Sep 1999 04:00:00

>> hi,
>> I'm doing some socket programming now. May I know must I be the root in
>> order to open a socket?

>> thanks.

>You only need to be root if you're trying to bind to one of the "well-
>known ports", typically socket number less than 1024 (although
>some UNIX variants use different numbers for this.)

I'm not completely sure on this, but additionally you must be root if you
try to open a raw port I think...

mike
--
Curious? Look at http://daneel.tsx.org

open socket connection

Post by Ken Pizzi » Sun, 19 Sep 1999 04:00:00

On Sat, 18 Sep 1999 17:08:04 GMT,

>>You only need to be root if you're trying to bind to one of the "well-
>>known ports", typically socket number less than 1024 (although
>>some UNIX variants use different numbers for this.)
>I'm not completely sure on this, but additionally you must be root if you
>try to open a raw port I think...

Yes, otherwise you would be able to bypass the restriction
on protected ports by opening a raw port and constructing
a low-port TCP or UDP packet to send through it.

                --Ken Pizzini

open socket connection

Post by Rob Thoma » Sun, 19 Sep 1999 04:00:00

You must be root to open a socket of type SOCK_RAW
(raw socket).  Otherwise, no.