Using win95 as gateway to internet for linux box

Using win95 as gateway to internet for linux box

Post by phil » Wed, 15 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

I would like to use the Dial-Up-Networking on a Win95 mc to connect a linux
box to the internet.

i.e. After dialling my isp with win95, use a linux box to also connect using
the modem in the win95 mc.

I know you'll all say to use the linux box as a gateway, but (oh foolish me
8^( ) I have a 'winmodem'.

any ideas.

TIA

Phil

Using win95 as gateway to internet for linux box

Post by Hans David Poulse » Wed, 15 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Try Wingate fom http://www.gbik.com
I liked it
-hansd

Quote:>Hi,

>I would like to use the Dial-Up-Networking on a Win95 mc to connect a linux
>box to the internet.

>i.e. After dialling my isp with win95, use a linux box to also connect
using
>the modem in the win95 mc.

>I know you'll all say to use the linux box as a gateway, but (oh foolish me
>8^( ) I have a 'winmodem'.

>any ideas.

>TIA

>Phil

Using win95 as gateway to internet for linux box

Post by Darren Macka » Wed, 15 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Phil,

Quote:>I know you'll all say to use the linux box as a gateway, but (oh foolish me

8^( ) I have a 'winmodem'.

You should still be able to use the linux box as the gateway. Just hunt for
the modem's init string in the registry.

ps. I have heard a rumour that there are new modem to hit "Down Under" at
the end of the year. Apparently they are just an interface for the carrier
signal, with the main guts of the modem (ie the proverbial Rockwell, USR or
TI chipset as a VXD), but I was hoping this was only a rumour, rather than
fact. Please let me know if this is what you mean by "WinModem" - I hope
very much I am mistaken

Darren

Using win95 as gateway to internet for linux box

Post by Tor Slettne » Wed, 15 Apr 1998 04:00:00

    phil> Hi, I would like to use the Dial-Up-Networking on a Win95 mc
    phil> to connect a linux box to the internet.

    phil> i.e. After dialling my isp with win95, use a linux box to
    phil> also connect using the modem in the win95 mc.

    phil> I know you'll all say to use the linux box as a gateway, but
    phil> (oh foolish me 8^( ) I have a 'winmodem'.

You'll need WinGate, and socksified Linux clients.
If you are using Debian, install the 'libsocks4' package, which
includes socksified versions of ftp, telnet, finger, whois.
Otherwise, get such things manually.   Netscape supports proxy
servers (Edit->Preferences->Advanced->Proxy Server).

WinGate can be found at:
    ftp://ftp.deerfield.com/pub/wingate/

-tor

Using win95 as gateway to internet for linux box

Post by HeTT » Thu, 16 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Yes but a new modem :( sorry but that is all you can do. You could use
wingate but it is a pretty poor option compared to teh flexibility of linux
and IP_Masquerading. I have set up a couple of machines to do exactly what
you are trying to and it works brilliantly. So I hate to say it but I
recommend you get a new modem and learn the leason..... NEVER by a WIN
anything.

--
HeTTaR
Mark Eaton