DHCP_REQUEST, then a time out.

Post by David C » Thu, 15 Feb 2001 02:58:10

I've been trying to get dhcp to configure my NIC hooked to a cable modem. I
can configure it manually, and it will work fine. If I try to use DHCP,  it
will go through -- broadcasting DHCP_DISCOVER, DHCP_OFFER, DHCP_REQUEST,
then it times out waiting for a valid server response. I'm using Linux Red

I've compiled the dhcpcd source code taking out the compiler optimization
,-02 , to get rid of the optimization bugs in egcs. I use the ,
dhcpcd -R -d -h cXXXXXX-a eth0, to try to initialize the NIC, but it doesn't

to the network will configure dynamically. Any ideas would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks
David K. Cronin

DHCP_REQUEST, then a time out.

Post by A Youn » Wed, 21 Feb 2001 22:35:49

then (by asking), i stumbled upon a program called dhclient. does the exact thing dhcpcd was supposed to do, except that it worked on the first try (as opposed to not working at all).
that'll probably work for you too...

>I've been trying to get dhcp to configure my NIC hooked to a cable modem. I
>can configure it manually, and it will work fine. If I try to use DHCP,  it
>will go through -- broadcasting DHCP_DISCOVER, DHCP_OFFER, DHCP_REQUEST,
>then it times out waiting for a valid server response. I'm using Linux Red

>I've compiled the dhcpcd source code taking out the compiler optimization
>,-02 , to get rid of the optimization bugs in egcs. I use the ,
>dhcpcd -R -d -h cXXXXXX-a eth0, to try to initialize the NIC, but it doesn't

>to the network will configure dynamically. Any ideas would be greatly
>appreciated.

>Thanks
>David K. Cronin

>--

DHCP_REQUEST, then a time out.

Post by David C » Thu, 22 Feb 2001 02:10:56

I finally got dhcpcd to work. I had the kernel misconfigured, and had to
recompile it. There is an entery in the configuration menu that says
<reverse ARP>. After selecting that, and recompiling, I no longer have any
problems with dhcp. I've tried dhcpcd, dhclient, and pump. I've gotten them
all to work. I had to compile dhcpcd with the compiler optimization turned
off to get it to work. I downloaded the newest version of pump, and
dhclient; they both worked fine. I'm going to build a web page that has all

David Cronin

> then (by asking), i stumbled upon a program called dhclient. does the

exact thing dhcpcd was supposed to do, except that it worked on the first
try (as opposed to not working at all).
> that'll probably work for you too...

linux help :)

> >I've been trying to get dhcp to configure my NIC hooked to a cable modem.
> >can configure it manually, and it will work fine. If I try to use DHCP,
it
> >will go through -- broadcasting DHCP_DISCOVER, DHCP_OFFER, DHCP_REQUEST,
> >then it times out waiting for a valid server response. I'm using Linux
Red

> >I've compiled the dhcpcd source code taking out the compiler optimization
> >,-02 , to get rid of the optimization bugs in egcs. I use the ,
> >dhcpcd -R -d -h cXXXXXX-a eth0, to try to initialize the NIC, but it
doesn't

hooked
> >to the network will configure dynamically. Any ideas would be greatly
> >appreciated.

> >Thanks
> >David K. Cronin

> >--

1. RPC time outs at boot time

Recently I've just started having a problem at boot time, when my system is
starting up, I get a bunch of messages:
NFS Portmap: RPC: Port mapper failure - RPC: Timed out.

I'm currently at a loss as to what to do to fix this.
The machine that is booting is set up to mount a few filesystems over NFS,
but it has booted up fine before.  Perhaps I have a problem with my
tcpwrappers setup? (denying ALL:ALL)

Thanks in advance for any advice, help, etc...

--
John Osborne       " I love the smell of fdisk in the morning... "

2. HP UNIX ppl user problem

3. fix VIA Rhine time outs (some)

4. boot disk

5. Netscape time-outs

6. Cirrus 5465 supported under Linux/XFree86?

7. named configuartion in a ppp setup - time outs

8. socket prog part 2:

9. Socket to SMTP server - periodic time outs

10. SCSI Time Outs? Please Help.

11. Jserv time outs

12. * rwall and shutdown: rpc time-outs *

13. Scsi host time outs -- help