BOCA PCI Ethernet CARD woes

Post by Srini Seethar » Sun, 05 Feb 1995 00:18:04

I recently purchased a Boca PCI ethernet card to use with my Linux
machine. This card is based on the LANCE NE2100 chip.

I patched up my kernel up to 1.1.72 and included the support
for the LANCE chip in the ethernet card drivers.

kernel 1.1.72 does not detect the card even with the LANCE support
compiled in.

Has anyone gotten this PCI ethernet card from Boca to work
successfully ?
Which kernel should I use for this ?

Please help,
srini

BOCA PCI Ethernet CARD woes

Post by Andrew Cromar » Sun, 05 Feb 1995 14:04:17

> I recently purchased a Boca PCI ethernet card to use with my Linux
> machine. This card is based on the LANCE NE2100 chip.

> I patched up my kernel up to 1.1.72 and included the support
> for the LANCE chip in the ethernet card drivers.

> kernel 1.1.72 does not detect the card even with the LANCE support
> compiled in.

> Has anyone gotten this PCI ethernet card from Boca to work
> successfully ?
> Which kernel should I use for this ?

You're on exactly the right track here.  Your kernel version
does not support the BocaLAN PCI Ethernet card properly or at
all.  (I found out the hard way too.)

Any of the 1.1.8x kernels should support it properly.  I
use 1.1.83 with a BocaLAN PCI card with no problems.

  good luck                   asc

1. Boca PCI ethernet card woes : Solved - Maybe ?

Some background : I have been using SMC ULTRA ELITE ISA for
about 1 year now. Not a single problem with it.

SO I want to get a PCI card for ethernet. SO I get a BOCA. The
price is right, it seems like a good card.

I plug it in, NO GO.
I upgrade my kernel to 1.1.72 - NO Go.
I upgrade my kernel to 1.1.88 - wer'e getting somewhere Now.

I am up to kernel 1.1.88 and I cold booted the machine with the card in it.

My motherboard runs at 40 Mhz . This includes the PCI bus. I know, I know
this is non standard and PCI is max freq 33.3Mhz.

Now, when I boot up, the card is recognized and assigned an IRQ by the
linux kernel as well as a base address for future access (this is part of
PCI plug and play spec).

After tha, the card simply does not respond to the kernel and when the
ifconfig statements occur during bootup process, the error is produced
indicating that the device is NOT present.

SO basically, I think I will have to get a 33 Mhz X-tal and replace the 40Mhz
X-tal on the Motherboard.

Come to think of it, I had to disable my Motherboard's cache because
the kernel compiles would crash with the cache turned on.

If anyone has this card working with a 40 MHz PCI bus, please drop me
a line. I would love to be proved wrong, that way I can use my card.

Hope I have been of some help.

srini
        LINUX : Choice of the GNU Generation

2. Text Reader in SPANISH language

3. SOLVED : BOCA PCI Ethernet woes : Maybe ?

4. Problems compiling GCC on Solaris 2.5.1

5. MWM Under RH 5.2

6. BOCA PCI Ethernet card

7. Wake up on LAN

8. Boca phone number? PCI Ethernet card

9. Boca BEN1PI PCI Ethernet card - STRIKE FOUR!

10. Boca PCI Ethernet card

11. Boca PCI Ethernet card problems - more details?

12. Boca Ethernet PCI card problems