bridging . How to ??

Post by Philippe Moutarlie » Tue, 04 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Hi everybody,

I have been looking around to find up to date infos about how to bridge
2 Nics in one box.

I read the stuff in the mini-howto to no avail. The brcfg tool referred
there looks pretty old and there seems
to be new stuff going on with 2.2 kernels (is there ??).

My situation : 2 NICs,

NIC1 going through a hub towards my cable modem.
NIC2  connected to a wireless bridge

I use a private network 10.0.0.0 / mask 255.255.255.0

I followed instructions and splited this networks into :

10.0.0.0 / 255.255.255.128 on NIC2 and
10.0.0.0 / 255.255.255.128 on NIC1

The kernel (2.2.14) is compiled with bridging enabled. The interface
brg0 is created and can be activated by ifconfig.

First question : what is brg0  and how to use it ?

If tried to set my two NICs in promiscuous mode. However, only one
reports promiscuous mode enabled even if ifconfig reports the PROMISC
mode when displaying infos about the card.

What does this mean ?

Obviously, I cannot get the bridging to work. Things are ok only  if I
set up my box as a regular router .

Any hint or pointer to infos would be great !

Philippe

bridging . How to ??

Post by Henrik Jochumse » Tue, 04 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Heya

I had problems with 2.2.14, try 2.2.13..

Hj

Quote:> Hi everybody,

> I have been looking around to find up to date infos about how to bridge
> 2 Nics in one box.

> I read the stuff in the mini-howto to no avail. The brcfg tool referred
> there looks pretty old and there seems
> to be new stuff going on with 2.2 kernels (is there ??).

> My situation : 2 NICs,

> NIC1 going through a hub towards my cable modem.
> NIC2  connected to a wireless bridge

> I use a private network 10.0.0.0 / mask 255.255.255.0

> I followed instructions and splited this networks into :

> 10.0.0.0 / 255.255.255.128 on NIC2 and
> 10.0.0.0 / 255.255.255.128 on NIC1

> The kernel (2.2.14) is compiled with bridging enabled. The interface
> brg0 is created and can be activated by ifconfig.

> First question : what is brg0  and how to use it ?

> If tried to set my two NICs in promiscuous mode. However, only one
> reports promiscuous mode enabled even if ifconfig reports the PROMISC
> mode when displaying infos about the card.

> What does this mean ?

> Obviously, I cannot get the bridging to work. Things are ok only  if I
> set up my box as a regular router .

> Any hint or pointer to infos would be great !

> Philippe

1. Bridging Firewall - got bridging working, How do I firewall?

Hello,

I'm running a minimal install of Fedora Core 1 with the
2.4.22-1.2174.nptl kernel.  I installed bridge-utils, bridging seems to
work fine, but I'm wondering how exactly I start packet filtering with
iptables?  Do I need the ebtables/bridge-nf patch on my kernel before
this will work, or is it already built in to Fedora's custom kernel and
I need to do something to enable it?  Right now while testing, if I set
two machines on either side of the bridge to continuously ping each
other, and I set every default iptables policy to DROP (every valid
combo filter, mangle, nat and INPUT, OUTPUT, FORWARD, PREROUTING,
POSTROUTING), the ping still work fine, so obviously I'm missing
something as how to drop the icmp packets.

I set bridging up as follows:
ifconfig eth0 0.0.0.0 up
ifconfig eth1 0.0.0.0 up
brctl addbr br0
brctl addif br0 eth0
brctl addif br0 eth1
ifconfig br0 192.168.1.2 netmask 255.255.255.0

Ultimately I want to only allow certain ip addresses on one side of the
bridge to only be able to connect to certain ip addresses / tcp ports on
the other side (with netfilter's state connection tracking).

Thanks,
Josh

2. Gnucash - Yeah, right.

3. PATCH: Fix CardBus bridge behind a PCI bridge

4. eth0: Missed interrupt, status 2000 Tx 00 Rx 8000

5. bridging problem -- bridge needs IP address

6. assistance with DES/Kerberos functionality under Solaris

7. S1692DL Tiger 2 unknown PCI bridge :unknown Host bridge :unknown PCI Device

8. PPC405GP/2.4.18 build problems

9. Configuring PCI<-->PCI bridges behind Cardbus bridges

10. 2.4.21-rc6-ac1 PCMCIA: Cardbus bridge behind transparent P2P bridge

11. Bridge: Linux as a bridge

12. Can I bridge without a bridge?

13. When bridging on OpenBSD, OpenBSD-bridge have problem about arp....