windows client not finding linux apache server page

windows client not finding linux apache server page

Post by Dave Stauff » Thu, 27 Feb 2003 03:09:21

I have a simple home network with a linux (RH 7.2) machine
(192.168.1.8) running apache 2.0 and a windows 98 client
(192.168.1.245). I can ping each machine from the other, and I can see
the Apache test page from the linux machine using http://192.168.1.8/
. I thought I could use the same URL on the windows client but get the
error page instead ("The page you are looking for is unavailable...").

What am I missing in my setup?

Thanks for any help.

--Dave

windows client not finding linux apache server page

Post by retributio » Thu, 27 Feb 2003 04:46:01

Well, it sounds like apache is up and running on the correct interface and
there is network connectivity.  The next thing I would check is firewall
rules.  Try /etc/rc.d/init.d/iptables stop  (or ipchains stop if you're
using ipchains instead), then try to hit the httpd from your windows box.
If it works then, you can restart the firewall with
/etc/rc.d/init.d/iptables start and see what happens.  I am guessing the
iptables rules may be set to panic mode, which drops anything not coming
from the local box.

Quote:> I have a simple home network with a linux (RH 7.2) machine

Post by Dave Stauff » Thu, 27 Feb 2003 10:33:22

> Well, it sounds like apache is up and running on the correct interface and
> there is network connectivity.  The next thing I would check is firewall
> rules.  Try /etc/rc.d/init.d/iptables stop  (or ipchains stop if you're
> using ipchains instead), then try to hit the httpd from your windows box.
> If it works then, you can restart the firewall with
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/iptables start and see what happens.  I am guessing the
> iptables rules may be set to panic mode, which drops anything not coming
> from the local box.

That was exactly the problem. Thanks so much for your help.

--Dave

windows client not finding linux apache server page

Post by retributio » Thu, 27 Feb 2003 11:20:47

great, glad it works for you now.

Quote:> > Well, it sounds like apache is up and running on the correct interface
and
> > there is network connectivity.  The next thing I would check is firewall
> > rules.  Try /etc/rc.d/init.d/iptables stop  (or ipchains stop if you're
> > using ipchains instead), then try to hit the httpd from your windows
box.
> > If it works then, you can restart the firewall with
> > /etc/rc.d/init.d/iptables start and see what happens.  I am guessing the
> > iptables rules may be set to panic mode, which drops anything not coming
> > from the local box.

> That was exactly the problem. Thanks so much for your help.

> --Dave

windows client not finding linux apache server page

Post by Thomas B Gro » Fri, 28 Feb 2003 07:44:07

Dave, Justin, this is exactly the problem I have been discussing this week
in a separate thread...

If I'm only allowing specific ports access to my Linux machine, why do I care
about iptables at all?  I mean, if I am only allowing http and maybe ftp
through my router, do I need to configure another firewall on the Linux
box?

: great, glad it works for you now.

: > > Well, it sounds like apache is up and running on the correct interface
: and
: > > there is network connectivity.  The next thing I would check is firewall
: > > rules.  Try /etc/rc.d/init.d/iptables stop  (or ipchains stop if you're
: > > using ipchains instead), then try to hit the httpd from your windows
: box.
: > > If it works then, you can restart the firewall with
: > > /etc/rc.d/init.d/iptables start and see what happens.  I am guessing the
: > > iptables rules may be set to panic mode, which drops anything not coming
: > > from the local box.
: >

--

Post by joseph Phili » Sat, 01 Mar 2003 00:05:10

> Dave, Justin, this is exactly the problem I have been discussing this
> week in a separate thread...

> If I'm only allowing specific ports access to my Linux machine, why do I
> care about iptables at all?  I mean, if I am only allowing http and
> maybe ftp through my router, do I need to configure another firewall on
> the Linux box?

> : great, glad it works for you now.

> : > > Well, it sounds like apache is up and running on the correct
> : > > interface
> : and
> : > > there is network connectivity.  The next thing I would check is
> : > > firewall rules.  Try /etc/rc.d/init.d/iptables stop  (or ipchains
> : > > stop if you're using ipchains instead), then try to hit the httpd
> : > > from your windows
> : box.
> : > > If it works then, you can restart the firewall with
> : > > /etc/rc.d/init.d/iptables start and see what happens.  I am
> : > > guessing the iptables rules may be set to panic mode, which drops
> : > > anything not coming from the local box.
> : >
> : > That was exactly the problem. Thanks so much for your help.
> : >
> : > --Dave

You can leave it all open on the inside if you want. But that approach (
hard shell, soft interior) was looked down on by a security document.
What ever you do, make sure you know what you're doing.

Post by Thomas B Gro » Sat, 01 Mar 2003 02:47:09

: You can leave it all open on the inside if you want. But that approach (
: hard shell, soft interior) was looked down on by a security document.
: What ever you do, make sure you know what you're doing.

The only thing I am sure of is that I *don't* know what I am doing.

Can you give me some idea of what I should be worried about?  What's the
worst that could happen?
--

Post by Seth H Holme » Sat, 01 Mar 2003 03:23:10

>: You can leave it all open on the inside if you want. But that approach (
>: hard shell, soft interior) was looked down on by a security document.
>: What ever you do, make sure you know what you're doing.

> The only thing I am sure of is that I *don't* know what I am doing.

> Can you give me some idea of what I should be worried about?  What's the
> worst that could happen?

Someone could, in theory, access your box behind the firewall on an allowed
port and through some hack unknown to me access a port you don't want them
to be able to access beyond the firewall using your own machine as some
kind of relay.

I don't even know if this is possible, but I imagine its the worst.

--
Seth H Holmes

Post by Thomas B Gro » Sat, 01 Mar 2003 04:50:35

: Someone could, in theory, access your box behind the firewall on an allowed
: port and through some hack unknown to me access a port you don't want them
: to be able to access beyond the firewall using your own machine as some
: kind of relay.

: I don't even know if this is possible, but I imagine its the worst.

I suppose there is a way to do some bad things to my LAN given ftp and http
access to my linux machine.  I guess I better change the admin password
on my router...

The other bad thing I can think of would be to somehow use my linux
machine to send junk email, or some kind of denial of service attack.
--

1. Apache won't server pages to Windows Clients!

Can you ping your Linux box from the windows box?  If you haven't setup
a DNS server, and you've just added hostnames to /etc/hosts on the Linux
boxes then you'll have to do the same for your windows boxes.
Create/edit c:\Windows\hosts with something like:

192.168.1.1  thelinuxbox

If this isn't your problem, you'll have to supply more information on
you setup if you want better answers.

Peter

2. Linux INFO-SHEET (part 1/1)

3. dns update from dhcp server ok for windows clients, not ok for linux (dhclient) clients

4. cgi problem

5. Communication needed between linux server/client to windows client/server

6. ISDN in US

7. Can't get html pages from Apache server on remote client

8. Networking Win98 box & Linux box (help)

9. Standalone Linux Server with Windows 98 and Windows XP clients

10. Apache 1.3 : Linking to a specific page when "HTTP 404 - File not found"

11. apache 1.3 on redhat 7.3 not finding test page

12. Apache and JServ:Page not found

13. "Page not found" remotely using Apache