Network Analyzer

Post by JD » Thu, 04 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

I'm wondering if there is a Linux based Network Analyzer Tool. In my
current setup I have a Linux firewall (ipfwadm) and want to measure the
traffic that flows to specific IP addresses within the internal LAN.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Tks a lot

-- JD

Network Analyzer

Post by Stan A. Rogg » Fri, 05 Dec 1997 04:00:00

tcpdump is pretty good at watching and seeing things going on.  It supports slip,
ppp, Ethernet, and probably a lot of other stuff.  It is at sunsite:

        ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/

Its under networking somewhere.  I have it on my site, too.

If the traffic is going through your firewall you could setup some accounting
rules and get some pretty fair statistics that way.  You will need to review your
kernel options for it, probably.

--

Harmonic System Incorporated, 701 Fourth Avenue South, Suite 320,
Minneapolis MN 55415

Quote:> Hi,

> I'm wondering if there is a Linux based Network Analyzer Tool. In my
> current setup I have a Linux firewall (ipfwadm) and want to measure the
> traffic that flows to specific IP addresses within the internal LAN.

> Any pointers would be appreciated.

> Tks a lot

> -- JD

1. suggest network analyzer for total network newbie?

Developer - know nothing about networking, except that our internet
access provider tells us our traffic occasionally spikes to some very
high level - maxing out our connection - which some people in the
office sometimes notice.  I need to find out which PC/device the
traffic is coming from and stop it.

The machine which I would prefer to run any monitoring software from is
Linux, with a `uname` providing:
Linux [my_hostname] 2.6.1-1.65smp #1 SMP Fri Jan 30 17:50:02 EST 2004
i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux

Looking for something that will help me figure this out.  Any suggested
tools?

Thanks.

2. Virtual Console Switch from shell

3. Network Analyser for IPX Network?

4. Wierd Netscape problem

5. Solaris network analyzer

6. ADRAS Computing; any problems (Slackware 3.0)??

7. Any good network analyzer?

8. HP Scanjet 4200C

9. Solaris network analyzer

10. Ethernet Network Analyzer, Monitor, and Packet Generator Software

11. help for network analyzer

12. Network analyzer

13. Solaris network analyser