sockets programming

Post by u_.. » Tue, 28 Sep 1999 04:00:00

hiya.. i need information about linux sockets programming, something
that cover up alot of information.

sockets programming

Post by Peter Buelo » Wed, 29 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> hiya.. i need information about linux sockets programming, something
> that cover up alot of information.

First, take a look at www.deja.com as you can search all the old
discussions for overused topics such as these. Also, have you looked at
Amazon.com?

Anything by Douglas Comer and David Stevens.
--
Peter Buelow - Software Engineer
--

1. socket timeout? (socket programming question)

I have a process that opens a TCP server socket via socket/bind/listen.
Sometimes the process dies unexpectedly. When I try to start another
process to bind to the same port, I get EADDRINUSE returned from bind;
the socket is already in use, even though the other process that had
it open is dead. After about 30 seconds, though, I can bind to that
port again.

I know almost all Unix kernels do this, but why? Is there some sort of
garbage collection process in the kernel that occasionally checks all
sockets that are marked in use to check that they really are?

What should I be doing in my own server process to ensure that it
closes the socket properly so Linux doesn't think the socket is in use?

Thanks
  Nelson

2. Galeon installation failed

3. Anyone do and socket programming and modem programming on AIX?

4. Lost Message: Boot Problem FreeBSD 4.0

5. socket programming question.

6. Upgrading from AIX 4.2.0 to 4.2.1

7. Socket programming: difference between Unix and Windows

8. Netatalk being inconsistent in logins

9. socket programming miracles

10. NEW EMAIL LIST: IPC/Middleware/Socket Programming

11. Raw Socket Programming

12. Where to find docs of Network/Socket Programming API of Linux Kernel 2.4.7?

13. Socket programming