Can one modem ring another modem directly?

Can one modem ring another modem directly?

Post by Jim Whit » Wed, 14 Oct 1998 04:00:00

When I start connecting to my ISP, my modem dial out to phone company,
the phone company ring my ISP. Now I want connect two modem directly
without a phone company between them, then one modem must ring another
modem directly. Can modem do this? Please comment. TIA
--Jim

Post by Julie Haug » Wed, 14 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> When I start connecting to my ISP, my modem dial out to phone company,
> the phone company ring my ISP. Now I want connect two modem directly
> without a phone company between them, then one modem must ring another
> modem directly. Can modem do this? Please comment. TIA

In short, "no".  If you are using a leased phone line (point
to point) there are modems which will work with that set-up,
but you still have a phone company between you and whereever.

On the other hand, why are you bothering?  Why not just
connect the two machines via their serial ports or via some
LAN, such as Ethernet?
--
Julianne Frances Haugh             Life is either a daring adventure
Mail: jfh AT bga.com                   or nothing at all.

Post by Steve Fei » Fri, 16 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> When I start connecting to my ISP, my modem dial out to phone company,
> the phone company ring my ISP. Now I want connect two modem directly
> without a phone company between them, then one modem must ring another
> modem directly. Can modem do this? Please comment. TIA
> --Jim

Some one help me out on this one, I can't seam to find my old modem
book with all the AT commands in it. Now a days it seams that modem
makers don't want users to see the AT commands. Maybe there scared
that if users saw the AT commands they would be scared off or they
might become dangerous. Back when I was in high school one of my
favorite/safest ways to connect two 64's together was via modem, if
both had modems. This requires intervention on both sides since I
modem will not auto answer with out a ring. One computer you must
setup to blind dial, that is dial without a dial tone. I believe the
command for blind dialing is ats6=0 then issue a dial command it
doesn't matter what you dial since there is no phone company atdt111.
After you make the first computer dial you must tell the second
computer to answer, since there is no ring to detect.  This command to
answer is ata. This should work with a simple term program such as
seyon. I'm not sure how it will work with them there new fangled ppp
connections.

With a simple search of "at commands" I found the following web page
http://www.acscompro.com/faqdir/atcomm.htm
you might also search for "hays compatible"

Can one modem ring another modem directly?

Post by James Shar » Sat, 17 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Several companies also make phone line simulators.  I use these all the
time when teaching Cisco configuration classes.  You program one modem
to auto answer and the other one dials a two digit number.  The
simulator is like a baby telco switch.  It handles generation of
dialtone and ringing voltage, as well as switching based on dialed
number (for the models with more than two ports).

James Sharp
Senior Engineer
Multi-Net Solutions

> > When I start connecting to my ISP, my modem dial out to phone
> company,
> > the phone company ring my ISP. Now I want connect two modem directly

> > without a phone company between them, then one modem must ring
> another
> > modem directly. Can modem do this? Please comment. TIA
> > --Jim

> Some one help me out on this one, I can't seam to find my old modem
> book with all the AT commands in it. Now a days it seams that modem
> makers don't want users to see the AT commands. Maybe there scared
> that if users saw the AT commands they would be scared off or they
> might become dangerous. Back when I was in high school one of my
> favorite/safest ways to connect two 64's together was via modem, if
> both had modems. This requires intervention on both sides since I
> modem will not auto answer with out a ring. One computer you must
> setup to blind dial, that is dial without a dial tone. I believe the
> command for blind dialing is ats6=0 then issue a dial command it
> doesn't matter what you dial since there is no phone company atdt111.
> After you make the first computer dial you must tell the second
> computer to answer, since there is no ring to detect.  This command to

> answer is ata. This should work with a simple term program such as
> seyon. I'm not sure how it will work with them there new fangled ppp
> connections.

> With a simple search of "at commands" I found the following web page
> http://www.acscompro.com/faqdir/atcomm.htm
> you might also search for "hays compatible"

Can one modem ring another modem directly?

Post by Roy Batt » Sat, 17 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I missed the beginning of the thread, so I might
be completely wrong, but ...
If you don't use a phone line, why use modems?
How about connecting the two computers' serial
ports directly with a null-modem cable??

Post by Todd Uri » Sun, 18 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> > When I start connecting to my ISP, my modem dial out to phone company,
> > the phone company ring my ISP. Now I want connect two modem directly
> > without a phone company between them, then one modem must ring another
> > modem directly. Can modem do this? Please comment. TIA
> > --Jim

> Some one help me out on this one, I can't seam to find my old modem
> book with all the AT commands in it. Now a days it seams that modem
> makers don't want users to see the AT commands. Maybe there scared
> that if users saw the AT commands they would be scared off or they
> might become dangerous. Back when I was in high school one of my
> favorite/safest ways to connect two 64's together was via modem, if
> both had modems. This requires intervention on both sides since I
> modem will not auto answer with out a ring. One computer you must
> setup to blind dial, that is dial without a dial tone. I believe the
> command for blind dialing is ats6=0 then issue a dial command it
> doesn't matter what you dial since there is no phone company atdt111.
> After you make the first computer dial you must tell the second
> computer to answer, since there is no ring to detect.  This command to
> answer is ata. This should work with a simple term program such as
> seyon. I'm not sure how it will work with them there new fangled ppp
> connections.
> ... cut some minor stuff out here ...

The AT commands that you are looking for are 'ATX3' to set the modem to
dial without a dial tone.  'ATD' is all that you need on the originate
side and 'ATA' on the answer side.

The 'ATX3' assumes that your modem uses the same command set as the
Rockwell chipset, which is probably not a stretch.

Todd Urie

Can one modem ring another modem directly?

Post by Todd Uri » Sun, 18 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> Several companies also make phone line simulators.  I use these all the
> time when teaching Cisco configuration classes.  You program one modem
> to auto answer and the other one dials a two digit number.  The
> simulator is like a baby telco switch.  It handles generation of
> dialtone and ringing voltage, as well as switching based on dialed
> number (for the models with more than two ports).

> James Sharp
> Senior Engineer
> Multi-Net Solutions

> > > When I start connecting to my ISP, my modem dial out to phone
> > company,
> > > the phone company ring my ISP. Now I want connect two modem directly

> > > without a phone company between them, then one modem must ring
> > another
> > > modem directly. Can modem do this? Please comment. TIA
> > > --Jim

> > Some one help me out on this one, I can't seam to find my old modem
> > book with all the AT commands in it. Now a days it seams that modem
> > makers don't want users to see the AT commands. Maybe there scared

        ... lots of stuff cut out here ...

The line simulators that James refers to cost ~$400+ per copy for one
that will allow you to connect a single pair of modems, for Teltone
units.  This assumes of course that he's not using something
significantly different from what we use at work.

We were faced with having to test hundreds of modems simultaneously and
couldn't find anything that was reasonably priced to do the job.  So we
built an intercom circuit that costs ~$5 per copy and works fine, if you
don't care about ring and dial tone.  I don't have the specifics with
me, but it was pulled from the web somewhere.  If you need it, reply to
me and I'll see that I get it to you.

Todd Urie

Can one modem ring another modem directly?

Post by Rob van der Putte » Sun, 18 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Hi there

> The AT commands that you are looking for are 'ATX3' to set the modem to
> dial without a dial tone.  'ATD' is all that you need on the originate
> side and 'ATA' on the answer side.

This does have its limitations. Making sure the modems connect at the
highest possible speed might be a problem. Bringing the modems in leased
line mode solves this problem.

Regards,
Rob

Can one modem ring another modem directly?

Post by Rob van der Putte » Sun, 18 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Hi there

> We were faced with having to test hundreds of modems simultaneously and
> couldn't find anything that was reasonably priced to do the job.  So we
> built an intercom circuit that costs ~$5 per copy and works fine, if you
> don't care about ring and dial tone.  I don't have the specifics with
> me, but it was pulled from the web somewhere.  If you need it, reply to
> me and I'll see that I get it to you.

A cirquit which does supply ring and dial tone shouldn't cost much more.

Regards,
Rob

Post by Han » Sun, 18 Oct 1998 04:00:00

>    ... lots of stuff cut out here ...

>The line simulators that James refers to cost ~$400+ per copy for one
>that will allow you to connect a single pair of modems, for Teltone
>units.  This assumes of course that he's not using something
>significantly different from what we use at work.

>We were faced with having to test hundreds of modems simultaneously and
>couldn't find anything that was reasonably priced to do the job.  So we
>built an intercom circuit that costs ~$5 per copy and works fine, if you
>don't care about ring and dial tone.  I don't have the specifics with
>me, but it was pulled from the web somewhere.  If you need it, reply to
>me and I'll see that I get it to you.

FYI:

I tested my faxmodems here with a unit for ISDN-2 -> 4 analog phone (Dutch
KPN's Quattrovox, but the unit is made by another company)

It's made for ISDN<->analog line conversion, but it allows to do a local
call without using the telecomprovider (and its costs ;-)

So for test purposes I just dial a 2 with the modem on line 3 and I can make
as many calls as I want for free.

The unit cost me about $100 (but I don't know the latest prices)

Hans

Can one modem ring another modem directly?

Post by Ed Weinbe » Wed, 21 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>I missed the beginning of the thread, so I might
>be completely wrong, but ...
>If you don't use a phone line, why use modems?
>How about connecting the two computers' serial
>ports directly with a null-modem cable??

I know that I am replying to the middle of a thread, but the reason
you probably cannot tie two modems directly together is because they
are made to work on a "wet" line.  That means that it has a "talk"
battery.  You are using a "dry" line.

Try this:
                             600 ohm resistor
                   + -----V^V^V^V------------------->
12V source                                                    connect

both

modems
                             600 ohm resistor              here
                    - -----V^V^V^V------------------->

The phone company does it with higher voltage, but this should work.

  --  Ed Weinberg,
      Detel, Inc., An Internet Presence Provider

1. Cable modem..56 modem dial up, 500K cable modem download stream...

I have 2 network cards and 1 modem in a Linux Box with RH6.
My cable modem uses the modem to start a PPP session, and the network card
is then hooked up to the VPN of the ISP.

I would like to setup a IP Masquraded Firewall to hook some of my other
boxes
behind the firewall.

I  cannot find a HOW-TO to setup the Linux box using this type of Cable
Modem.  I
have only found 2 way cable modems.  Can someone point me it the right
direction.

My problem is that I don't know how to get Linux connected, then also, how
do I configure
ipchains or ipfwadm to use the correct rule set.  Do I do the modem or the
network card.  The
network card has a static IP of 10.0.0.1 which is usally used for VPNs.  My
cable company
is of corse not supporting Linux, so I have to do it myself.  The PPP dialup
uses DHCP to
assign my address so I have dhcp setup.

Thanks in advance..

Aaron

2. FreeBSD port of Sun's JDK 1.2 - available?

3. Modems, modems, modems

4. andrew-tollkit anyone ?

5. Modem, modem, modem, ... setup

6. two routes

7. modems modems modems

8. Deleting entries froma file from a list of entries

9. Modem, modem, modem

10. Where to find Kermit, X-Modem, Y-Modem, & Z-Modem Source

11. How can I tie a modem caller DIRECTLY to another tty Port?

12. Need HELP to read MODEM STATUS REGISTER DCD/CTS directly

13. How do I make connection per rs-232 without modems directly