RH 6.2: Cable modem problems

Post by David Ras » Sat, 05 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

providing Masq service for the rest of the LAN.  My cable
modem is the Motorola *Surfer.  I'm running 2 3com 3c509b's
NIC's that go to a hub and the hub is connected to a switch, which is
connected to the cable modem.  Now my problem is every now and
again the cable modem just quits talking to the linux box, which is eth0,
so my internet connection just dies.  The only way to remedy this is
to reset the cable modem.  I originally thought I had a bad ethernet card
because it was really old so I replaced it with the 3c509b.  This did not
resolve the situation.  I read in the Cable HOWTO that *surfers
remember the MAC address of the card, keeps it stored unless you reset
the modem.  The problem is that I never switch the connection or cards so
the MAC should be the same and yet it still dies like once a day.
I'm beginning to wonder if this is RH 6.2 because
I ran the same setup in the past with Slackware and RH 5.5 with no problems
at
all.  Note I have not compiled the kernel or anything since I originally set
it up.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
Dave

RH 6.2: Cable modem problems

Post by Guy Dav » Sun, 06 Aug 2000 04:00:00

>providing Masq service for the rest of the LAN.  My cable
>modem is the Motorola *Surfer.  I'm running 2 3com 3c509b's
>NIC's that go to a hub and the hub is connected to a switch, which is
>connected to the cable modem.  Now my problem is every now and

Is there a reason you're running the cable modem to the hub (via the
switch)?  For my home LAN, I just followed the directions at:
http://www.veryComputer.com/
so my Linux box acts as a gateway.  It works fine for me.

--
Guy Davis               http://www.veryComputer.com/
77A5 C242 60C8 1B57 8A87  682B 240B 490E B17C 87AF

RH 6.2: Cable modem problems

Post by David Ras » Sun, 06 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Well the hub is mostly there because I don't want to run lots of cables all
over the place because all the comps are spread out and switch is there
basically for a file server and the cable modem is located close to it so I
just
hooked it up there.  So it really boils down to the convience of not having
cables running all over the place.  But I've recieve emails from other that
have a nearly identical setup with no problems.  So I'll just have to
experiment
around and post the info here if I come up with a solution.

Quote:> Is there a reason you're running the cable modem to the hub (via the
> switch)?  For my home LAN, I just followed the directions at:
> http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/Home-Network-mini-HOWTO.html
> so my Linux box acts as a gateway.  It works fine for me.

> --
> Guy Davis http://enigma.fdns.net/
> 77A5 C242 60C8 1B57 8A87  682B 240B 490E B17C 87AF

RH 6.2: Cable modem problems

Post by ioexc.. » Thu, 24 Aug 2000 13:54:28

Dave,

I am having the same problem, and i am at a loss
for whether it is the NIC, the masq, or the cable
provider.  I am using an NE2000 compatible NIC.
One stays up fine, the external just dies.  We
really have no idea what is going on.  It also
seems that we have to cycle the power...not even
a soft reboot will bring the device back.
Anything further you find, please let me know! I
will do likewise.

Thanks,
Craig

In article <hS0j5.32541

Quote:> Well the hub is mostly there because I don't

want to run lots of cables all
Quote:> over the place because all the comps are spread

out and switch is there
Quote:> basically for a file server and the cable modem

is located close to it so I
Quote:> just
> hooked it up there.  So it really boils down to

the convience of not having
Quote:> cables running all over the place.  But I've

recieve emails from other that
Quote:> have a nearly identical setup with no

problems.  So I'll just have to
> experiment
> around and post the info here if I come up with
a solution.

message

> > Is there a reason you're running the cable

modem to the hub (via the
Quote:> > switch)?  For my home LAN, I just followed
the directions at:
> > http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/Home-

Network-mini-HOWTO.html

Quote:> > so my Linux box acts as a gateway.  It works
fine for me.

> > --
> > Guy Davis http://enigma.fdns.net/
> > 77A5 C242 60C8 1B57 8A87  682B 240B 490E B17C
87AF

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. Help setting up RH 6.2 with Cable Modem?

I have W98 running on a machine I'm also installing RH 6.2 on with a cable
modem (connected to an SMC EtherEZ 8416 ISA card).  I cannot find out how to
tell RH about my networking setup.  I have all the information but don't
know how to get Linux to recognize it.

Can someone either tell me how to set up this configuration or point me to a
doc site that would have this information?

Thanks,
Larry

2. Checking in at redhat.com

3. Cable Modem (COX @HOME), I NEED HELP SETTING UP MY CABLE MODEM WITH RH 5.1

4. Gnome, Enlightenment and sound

5. modem & pppd problem in RH 6.2

6. XDM

7. install RH 6.2 over RH 7.0, install problem

8. lpd in slackware 8?

9. Connecting Red Hat 6.2 Box To LinkSys BEFW11S4 ver2 Cable Modem

10. Redhat 6.2 & Cable modem.

11. Redhat 6.2 with a Linksys router and cable modem

12. Redhat 6.2 and Comcast@Home Cable Modem

13. RCA Cable Modem with linux 6.2