Need to make Boca Webglider (aka Chase NetChaser) do MLPPP

Need to make Boca Webglider (aka Chase NetChaser) do MLPPP

Post by Steve » Sun, 02 Feb 1997 04:00:00

(Posted to comp.dcom.isdn, comp.os.linux.networking, linux.admin.isp,
linux.dev.ppp)

Did they lie? Or were they fooled like the hundreds of others taken in
by Boca's "Multilink PPP". I know I was. Boca Webgliders &q3&b3 config
for bonding B1 and B2 channels IS PROPRIETARY! IT WILL ONLY WORK IF
YOU ARE CONNECTING TO ANOTHER BOCA WEBGLIDER. (Does USR HST ring a
bell? Of course USR HST then was cutting edge. Boca has brought their
PROPRIETARY protocol  into a mature market with established
standards.)  If you want to connect to an ISP running (almost)
anything else, the best you are going to get is 64k single channel.

Whoopee!! 56k Digital Modems at $100 (USR Sporster) are only weeks
away. Lets go spend $400 on a 64k Boca ISDN TA!?!? Hmmmm. If I were
them, I would try to flush my reseller channel.. But wait, I am ahead
of myself.

It took 3 days, 3 Tech support reps, several "We'll call you back" and
about 90 minutes of long distance mostly on hold  (They have no 800
number) before I was connected to a "Senior Technician" who knew why I
could  not connect in MLPPP mode.  According to Boca's Sr tech. Chris,
their  PROPRIETARY MLPPP is by their design. Intentional. The protocol
is kept in a Flash ROM on the Webglider. And they have no plans to
adopt a standard MLPPP protocol.

Ok, I'm a sucker. I've been screwed by one of the big boys.

To compound problems, you can not fire up both channels and not run
their PROPRIETARY  MLPPP. So, say you were thinking you could write a
software based solution.... Nope. According to Boca, by virtue of
asking the Webglider to dial dual channels, you are invoking
BOCA-MLPPP.  This poses an additional problem of being in MLPPP before
you have attached and signed onto a term server. (All the term servers
I know about start the Network protocol after you have signed on. )

Something else I noticed about the Webglider-Don't expect to connect
an Analog v.34 modem to the aux port and get better than 19200bps.
I'm new to ISDN, so this may be typical of all ISDN TA's.

> If they don't assist me then
>I'll just go ahead and sue Boca because of this horrible false
>advertising.

Yeah, I'm pretty pissed too! Only I already know I can't return it to
Computer City. Its been too long. (took me 5 weeks to get the ISDN
line installed! Another 2 weeks figuring out what was wrong..)   By
the way, that was Boca's Solution. They told me to be persistant with
Computer City for a refund or exchange. But CC sold that item in good
faith, and they have a return policy of 15 days on this item. Class
action? I'm in the same boat. I pointed this out to Boca. He said
their documentation for connecting in dual channel mode is not called
MLPPP, but "Making an Aggregated Call L" on page 95 of the Reference
manual. I pointed out to him that the "Addendum", is titled
"Multilink-PPP Installation" , not Making an agregated call. Without
some disclaimer on the addendum, you are led to believe that the flash
upgrade this document refers to is a standard MLPPP and supercedes the
reference manual section regarding aggregated calls.

Since then, I have wondered why, if this is by design, the first techs
I talked to did not know their MLPPP was proprietary.....???? It was
as though I had to be persistant about the problem before they would
admit it to me.

The saddest part is they did this on purpose!

> Eventually of
>course I want to switch to one of the local full-time LAN ISDN
>connectivity products ($255/mo for 2B is Thorn.Net)

 Wow! Internet Junction (Here locally) charges $9.95 single channel,
$19.95 dual channel unlimited per month! (www.ij.net)

Has anyone else had a similar experience? When I talked to my ISP
yesterday, they told me they had a Webglider collecting dust on the
shelf, they had fallen victim to the same thing.

Has anyone come up with a solution?

  Ste...@atlantic.net

u...@panix.com (Bradley Ward Allen) wrote:

> [...]

>** Standards (MLPPP, RFC1717, IETF) **

>Ok, on to other information about MLPPP:

>This URL explains it but seems to leave out a few details I need:
>  http://www.data.com/Tutorials/Multilink_PPP.html

>** NYNEX **

>Also, I'm having the usual difficulties with NYNEX (now Bell Atlantic)
>in making sure ISDN has everything I want on my line.  I have NI-1 so
>far with:

>It seems to be an AT&T 5ESS:
>NI-1 (National ISDN 1)
>Two SPIDS
>ACO (Additional Call Offering) is Unrestricted
>CSV (Circuit Switched Voice) is 1
>CSV Limit is 3
>CSV NB (Notification Busy) Limit is 1
>CSD (Circuit Switched Data) is 1
>CSD ACO is Unrestricted
>CSD limit is 2
>CSD NB limit is 1
>EKTS is No
>ACO is Yes
>Capability P

>They said they installed it.  I don't know what they actually put on
>it; does my bill itemize it at all?  I could ask them.  NYNEX these
>days is very helpful with this stuff, thank god; they have improved a
>lot in this way.  However, time will tell whether it is effective.

>** My needs **

>What I want, of course, is to use my Integrated Services Digital
>Network (ISDN for short) by integrating my services within the digital
>network.  I list the devices, what they will communicate, and the port
>on the Boca I expect to be able to do it via:

>* POTS telephone for receiving and placing voice calls at a single DN
>  (Directory Number).  I have multiple CA (Call Appearances) on my
>  ISDN line, but for some strange reason Call Waiting doesn't work
>  when another voice caller calls the same number they get a busy
>  signal.  Boca Tech Support says they support whatever ISDN supports.
>  Also, this line takes top priority: if the user needs to call out or
>  if a call comes in and there are no available B channels, then it
>  must be automatically dropped and the phone give dial tone or ring
>  respectively.  This is of course a necessary feature of ISDN and any
>  product that supports ISDN with both Data and POTS lines.  The box
>  and tech support people didn't say that they do not support this, so
>  it must.

>  Connected to the Boca Webglider AUX1 (POTS port).  I could put it on
>  AUX2 too.

>  Incoming calls that get dropped while ringing leave the phone
>  ringing until it gets picked up (by the answering machine usually)
>  and then hung up (also by the answering machine).  Why?  This must
>  be a bug?

>  Also the VC light (Voice Call) doesn't always go on for voice
>  connections unless I don't understand it correctly.

>* FAX Modem for receiving and placing FAX calls.
>  See POTS telephone above.  Yes, I want it to drop all data if both
>  FAX and Voice are in use.  I rarely have need for FAX, but I believe

read more »

> [...]

>  product that supports ISDN with both Data and POTS lines.  The box
>  and tech support people didn't say that they do not support this, so
>  it must.

>  Connected to the Boca Webglider AUX1 (POTS port).  I could put it on
>  AUX2 too.

>  Incoming calls that get dropped while ringing leave the phone
>  ringing until it gets picked up (by the answering machine usually)
>  and then hung up (also by the answering machine).  Why?  This must
>  be a bug?

>  Also the VC light (Voice Call) doesn't always go on for voice
>  connections unless I don't understand it correctly.

>* FAX Modem for receiving and placing FAX calls.
>  See POTS telephone above.  Yes, I want it to drop all data if both
>  FAX and Voice are in use.  I rarely have need for FAX, but I believe

read more »

Post by Fred R. Goldste » Tue, 04 Feb 1997 04:00:00

>Did they lie? Or were they fooled like the hundreds of others taken in
>by Boca's "Multilink PPP". I know I was. Boca Webgliders &q3&b3 config
>for bonding B1 and B2 channels IS PROPRIETARY! IT WILL ONLY WORK IF
>YOU ARE CONNECTING TO ANOTHER BOCA WEBGLIDER. (Does USR HST ring a
>bell? Of course USR HST then was cutting edge. Boca has brought their
>PROPRIETARY protocol  into a mature market with established
>standards.)  If you want to connect to an ISP running (almost)
>anything else, the best you are going to get is 64k single channel.

Well, you're 64 kbps ahead of me.

Did you get your 'glider to work at all in PPP conversion mode?  If so, did
it just use &q3 or was there some other trick?

I haven't spent much time with it since upgrading to .114, but at the older
release, it was a sinkhole, but *after* the call disconnected, it would echo
the PPP commands I had sent it back to me!

--

BBN Corp., Cambridge MA  USA         +1 617 873 3850
Opinions are mine alone; sharing requires permission.

Post by Bradley Ward All » Wed, 05 Feb 1997 04:00:00

In article <32f794e8.75097...@X207.126.101.83>,

Steve K <ste...@atlantic.net> wrote:
>(Posted to comp.dcom.isdn, comp.os.linux.networking, linux.admin.isp,
>linux.dev.ppp)
[...]
>> If they don't assist me then
>>I'll just go ahead and sue Boca because of this horrible false
>>advertising.

>Yeah, I'm pretty pissed too! Only I already know I can't return it to
>Computer City. Its been too long. (took me 5 weeks to get the ISDN
>line installed! Another 2 weeks figuring out what was wrong..)   By
>the way, that was Boca's Solution. They told me to be persistant with
>Computer City for a refund or exchange. But CC sold that item in good
>faith, and they have a return policy of 15 days on this item. Class
>action? I'm in the same boat. I pointed this out to Boca. He said
>their documentation for connecting in dual channel mode is not called
>MLPPP, but "Making an Aggregated Call L" on page 95 of the Reference
>manual. I pointed out to him that the "Addendum", is titled
>"Multilink-PPP Installation" , not Making an agregated call. Without
>some disclaimer on the addendum, you are led to believe that the flash
>upgrade this document refers to is a standard MLPPP and supercedes the
>reference manual section regarding aggregated calls.

In my case, I called Technical Support in J&R before purchasing the
unit specifically since I wanted to make sure it supported MLPPP.  I
contacted their sales department, and then their technician said it
does, and it also supports caller ID out to the POTS devices.

>Since then, I have wondered why, if this is by design, the first techs
>I talked to did not know their MLPPP was proprietary.....???? It was
>as though I had to be persistant about the problem before they would
>admit it to me.

>The saddest part is they did this on purpose!

>> Eventually of
>>course I want to switch to one of the local full-time LAN ISDN
>>connectivity products ($255/mo for 2B is Thorn.Net)
> Wow! Internet Junction (Here locally) charges $9.95 single channel,
>$19.95 dual channel unlimited per month! (www.ij.net)

>Has anyone else had a similar experience? When I talked to my ISP
>yesterday, they told me they had a Webglider collecting dust on the
>shelf, they had fallen victim to the same thing.

>Has anyone come up with a solution?

>  Ste...@atlantic.net

Here's some luck I got and what did and didn't work.  Did I mention
that I tried calling it while it was bonded (for those few seconds)
and that gave my voice call a busy signal?  Also my ISP (Escape.Com)
doesn't seem to support VOICE (at least PPP sync).  What's the
compatible compression algorithms?

These are some successes I've had with my WebGlider, after getting the
Software Version: U.S. U-interface 1.00 REV 1.14a off of
ftp://ftp.bocaresearch.com/BocaResearch/Drivers%26Software/File_area_28/
(for some odd reason, that FTP site doesn't work well outside of
Netscape where I got it last night) and uploading it to the WebGlider
(they call it downloading for some odd reason).

Bonding with V.120 in the 1.11 SW version:

Feb  4 05:19:34 Q pppd[23779]: pppd 2.2.0 started by ulmo, uid 0
Feb  4 05:19:35 Q chat[23780]: abort on (BUSY)
Feb  4 05:19:35 Q chat[23780]: abort on (NO CARRIER)
Feb  4 05:19:35 Q chat[23780]: abort on (NO DIALTONE)
Feb  4 05:19:35 Q chat[23780]: abort on (NO ANSWER)
Feb  4 05:19:35 Q chat[23780]: send (\d\p+++\d\pATV1E1Q0&Q0&B3^M)
Feb  4 05:19:37 Q chat[23780]: expect (OK)
Feb  4 05:19:37 Q chat[23780]: ^M
Feb  4 05:19:37 Q chat[23780]: OK -- got it
Feb  4 05:19:37 Q chat[23780]: send (\d\d\dATED5830715^M)
Feb  4 05:19:39 Q innfeed[1788]: news.denver.eti.net:2 cxnsleep non-responsive connection
Feb  4 05:19:41 Q chat[23780]: timeout set to 60 seconds
Feb  4 05:19:41 Q chat[23780]: expect (login)
Feb  4 05:19:41 Q chat[23780]: ^M
Feb  4 05:19:45 Q chat[23780]: ATED5830715^M^M
Feb  4 05:19:45 Q chat[23780]: CARRIER 128000^M
Feb  4 05:19:45 Q chat[23780]: ^M
Feb  4 05:19:45 Q chat[23780]: PROTOCOL: V.120^M
Feb  4 05:19:45 Q chat[23780]: ^M
Feb  4 05:19:45 Q chat[23780]: COMPRESSION: NONE^M
Feb  4 05:19:45 Q chat[23780]: ^M
Feb  4 05:19:45 Q chat[23780]: CONNECT 460800^M

- ------------------

Bonding with PPP Synchronous in 1.11:

Feb  4 05:20:41 Q chat[23780]: Failed
Feb  4 05:20:52 Q pppd[23783]: pppd 2.2.0 started by ulmo, uid 0
Feb  4 05:20:53 Q chat[23784]: abort on (BUSY)
Feb  4 05:20:53 Q chat[23784]: abort on (NO CARRIER)
Feb  4 05:20:53 Q chat[23784]: abort on (NO DIALTONE)
Feb  4 05:20:53 Q chat[23784]: abort on (NO ANSWER)
Feb  4 05:20:53 Q chat[23784]: send (\d\p+++\d\pATV1E1Q0&Q3&B3^M)
Feb  4 05:20:55 Q chat[23784]: expect (OK)
Feb  4 05:20:55 Q chat[23784]: ^M
Feb  4 05:20:55 Q chat[23784]: OK -- got it
Feb  4 05:20:55 Q chat[23784]: send (\d\d\dATED5830715^M)
Feb  4 05:20:58 Q chat[23784]: timeout set to 60 seconds
Feb  4 05:20:58 Q chat[23784]: expect (login)
Feb  4 05:20:58 Q chat[23784]: ^M
Feb  4 05:21:02 Q chat[23784]: ATED5830715^M^M
Feb  4 05:21:02 Q chat[23784]: CARRIER 128000^M
Feb  4 05:21:02 Q chat[23784]: ^M
Feb  4 05:21:02 Q chat[23784]: PROTOCOL: PPP^M
Feb  4 05:21:02 Q chat[23784]: ^M
Feb  4 05:21:02 Q chat[23784]: COMPRESSION: NONE^M
Feb  4 05:21:02 Q chat[23784]: ^M
Feb  4 05:21:02 Q chat[23784]: CONNECT 460800^M
Feb  4 05:21:11 Q chat[23784]: ~}(}!^?&^R~~}(}!^?&^R~~}(}!^?&^R~~}(}!^?&^R~~}(}!^?&^R~~}(}!^?&^R~~}(}!^?&^R~~}(}!^?&^R~^M
Feb  4 05:21:11 Q chat[23784]: NO CARRIER -- failed
Feb  4 05:21:11 Q chat[23784]: Failed (NO CARRIER)
Feb  4 05:21:11 Q pppd[23783]: Connect script failed
Feb  4 05:21:11 Q pppd[23783]: Exit.

Is the WebGlider spoofing the PPP?

Can WebGlider support BSDCOMP if the local host does that protocol, or
is the spoofing of PPP done inside the WebGlider??

- ------------------------

Feb  4 05:26:22 Q chat[23906]: abort on (BUSY)
Feb  4 05:26:22 Q chat[23906]: abort on (NO CARRIER)
Feb  4 05:26:22 Q chat[23906]: abort on (NO DIALTONE)
Feb  4 05:26:22 Q chat[23906]: abort on (NO ANSWER)
Feb  4 05:26:22 Q chat[23906]: send (\d\p+++\d\pATV1E1Q0&Q3&B3^M)
Feb  4 05:26:24 Q chat[23906]: expect (OK)
Feb  4 05:26:24 Q chat[23906]: ^M
Feb  4 05:26:24 Q chat[23906]: OK -- got it
Feb  4 05:26:24 Q chat[23906]: send (\d\d\dATED5830715^M)
Feb  4 05:26:25 Q su[23908]: + console root-ulmo
Feb  4 05:26:27 Q chat[23906]: timeout set to 60 seconds
Feb  4 05:26:27 Q chat[23906]: expect (login)
Feb  4 05:26:27 Q chat[23906]: ^M
Secure connection to panix2.panix.com refused.
Feb  4 05:26:29 Q su[23914]: + console root-ulmo
Feb  4 05:26:31 Q chat[23906]: ATED5830715^M^M
Feb  4 05:26:31 Q chat[23906]: CARRIER 128000^M
Feb  4 05:26:31 Q chat[23906]: ^M
Feb  4 05:26:31 Q chat[23906]: PROTOCOL: PPP^M
Feb  4 05:26:31 Q chat[23906]: ^M
Feb  4 05:26:31 Q chat[23906]: COMPRESSION: NONE^M
Feb  4 05:26:31 Q chat[23906]: ^M
Feb  4 05:26:31 Q chat[23906]: CONNECT 460800^M
Secure connection to panix2.panix.com refused.
Feb  4 05:26:33 Q su[23900]: + console root-ulmo
Secure connection to Panix2.Panix.Com refused.
Feb  4 05:26:40 Q chat[23906]: ~}(}!^?&^R~~}(}!^?&^R~~}(}!^?&^R~~}(}!^?&^R~~}(}!^?&^R~~}(}!^?&^R~~}(}!^?&^R~~}(}!^?&^R~^M
Feb  4 05:26:40 Q chat[23906]: NO CARRIER -- failed
Feb  4 05:26:40 Q chat[23906]: Failed (NO CARRIER)
Feb  4 05:26:40 Q pppd[23905]: Connect script failed

- ----------------------------

Ok, here I specify the username and password instead of a chat script,
and expect PPP right away.  Apparently my ISP supports PPP Sync &
V.120, probably MLPPP too (Escape.Com), but not BSDCOMP?

Feb  4 05:36:11 Q pppd[24125]: pppd 2.2.0 started by ulmo, uid 0
Secure connection to Panix2.Panix.Com refused.
INIT: Id "S0" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
Feb  4 05:36:11 Q init: Id "S0" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
Feb  4 05:36:12 Q chat[24126]: abort on (BUSY)
Feb  4 05:36:12 Q chat[24126]: abort on (NO CARRIER)
Feb  4 05:36:12 Q chat[24126]: abort on (NO DIALTONE)
Feb  4 05:36:12 Q chat[24126]: abort on (NO ANSWER)
Feb  4 05:36:12 Q chat[24126]: send (\d\p+++\d\pATV1E1Q0&Q3&B3^M)
Feb  4 05:36:15 Q chat[24126]: expect (OK)
Feb  4 05:37:00 Q chat[24126]: alarm
Feb  4 05:37:00 Q chat[24126]: Failed
Feb  4 05:37:00 Q pppd[24125]: Connect script failed
Feb  4 05:37:00 Q pppd[24125]: Exit.
Feb  4 05:37:31 Q pppd[24130]: pppd 2.2.0 started by ulmo, uid 0
Feb  4 05:37:32 Q chat[24131]: abort on (BUSY)
Feb  4 05:37:32 Q chat[24131]: abort on (NO CARRIER)
Feb  4 05:37:32 Q chat[24131]: abort on (NO DIALTONE)
Feb  4 05:37:32 Q chat[24131]: abort on (NO ANSWER)
Feb  4 05:37:32 Q chat[24131]: send (\d\p+++\d\pATV1E1Q0&Q3&B3^M)
Feb  4 05:37:34 Q chat[24131]: expect (OK)
Feb  4 05:37:34 Q chat[24131]: ^M
Feb  4 05:37:34 Q chat[24131]: OK -- got it
Feb  4 05:37:34 Q chat[24131]: send (\d\d\dATED5830715^M)
Feb  4 05:37:38 Q chat[24131]: expect (CONNECT)
Feb  4 05:37:38 Q chat[24131]: ^M
Feb  4 05:37:42 Q chat[24131]: ATED5830715^M^M
Feb  4 05:37:42 Q chat[24131]: CARRIER 128000^M
Feb  4 05:37:42 Q chat[24131]: ^M
Feb  4 05:37:42 Q chat[24131]: PROTOCOL: PPP^M
Feb  4 05:37:42 Q chat[24131]: ^M
Feb  4 05:37:42 Q chat[24131]: COMPRESSION: NONE^M
Feb  4 05:37:42 Q chat[24131]: ^M
Feb  4 05:37:42 Q chat[24131]: CONNECT -- got it
Feb  4 05:37:42 Q pppd[24130]: Serial connection established.
Feb  4 05:37:43 Q pppd[24130]: Using interface ppp1
Feb  4 05:37:43 Q pppd[24130]: Connect: ppp1 <--> /dev/cua3
Feb  4 05:37:43 Q pppd[24130]: rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 <magic 0xe281f0f4> <auth pap>]
Feb  4 05:37:43 Q pppd[24130]: sent [LCP ConfAck id=0x1 <magic 0xe281f0f4> <auth pap>]
Feb  4 05:37:43 Q pppd[24130]: sent [PAP AuthReq id=0x1 user="ppp.ulmo" password="XXXXX"]
Feb  4 05:37:44 Q pppd[24130]: rcvd [PAP AuthAck id=0x1msg="Login Succeeded"]
Feb  4 05:37:44

read more »

Need to make Boca Webglider (aka Chase NetChaser) do MLPPP

Post by Fred R. Goldste » Thu, 06 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Well, I'm doing better.  Thanks to Bradley for his large posting and other
info.  But I'm still not satisfied.

I'm not a disgruntled Boca customer.  I'm testing a NetChaser, which is the
unit that Boca resells under its own name.  In the original Chase manuals (US
edition; it's an English product) they talk about "Rate Aggregation" (&B3) but
never use the name "MP" or anything like it.  From the text, it could be
BONDING or Blind Fragment Sampling or anything else they imagine.  It *should*
be standard MP but Chase doesn't promise it and does't deliver it.  If Boca
*ever* uses the phrase "MP" in their literature, *they* are guilty of
deception.  Salescritters at retail stores may simply be confused.

Anyway, I finally got it to do PPP async-sync conversion (&Q3) and connect to
something!  I never normally make "data" calls (only "voice" calls, aka DOV,
are included in my calling plan; data runs at a costlier tariff rate) but I
tried it for testing.  My Gandalf Xpressway server answered.  Once I got the
CHAP set up right it converged.

But it doesn't have a 56k/64k setting, and around here, 56k is often needed,
as is DOV at 56k.  That was supposed to be in the latest US release, but it's
not.  So I went into the command menu (&Q4) and SET CALL TYPE VOICE.
Then I redialed the Gandalf and lo and behold, it connected!

Now on a competent box, this would have meant that the call was being adapted
down to 56k automatically.  But I was suspicious.  I telnet'd into the
Xpressway and looked at the call in progress -- "64 kbps unrestricted"!  So
here was the NetChaser set to VOICE actually making a data call!

This could be *very* expensive for some of the users around here.
BEWARE!

--

BBN Corp., Cambridge MA  USA         +1 617 873 3850
Opinions are mine alone; sharing requires permission.

Need to make Boca Webglider (aka Chase NetChaser) do MLPPP

Post by Bradley Ward All » Tue, 11 Feb 1997 04:00:00

You have to SAVE (in &Q4 mode) first before this takes effect.  This
has the horrible effect of resetting the unit in order to make a VOICE
call.

[...]

Quote:>But it doesn't have a 56k/64k setting, and around here, 56k is often needed,
>as is DOV at 56k.  That was supposed to be in the latest US release, but it's
>not.  So I went into the command menu (&Q4) and SET CALL TYPE VOICE.
>Then I redialed the Gandalf and lo and behold, it connected!

>Now on a competent box, this would have meant that the call was being adapted
>down to 56k automatically.  But I was suspicious.  I telnet'd into the
>Xpressway and looked at the call in progress -- "64 kbps unrestricted"!  So
>here was the NetChaser set to VOICE actually making a data call!

>This could be *very* expensive for some of the users around here.
>BEWARE!

Can you try this again (after doing a SAVE)?  I'm curious to know if
data over voice calls actually work in &Q3.  I think they do.  The
reason I know you have to do SAVE first is that I get different
results depending on the VOICE vs. DATA settings, so was able to
realize that one needed to SAVE for this setting to take effect.  Not
all of the settings there require SAVE to take effect (I see no reason
why it requires SAVE for call type, while DN may make more sense).

Also, I want to know whether AT&W is a synonym or similar to AT&Q4 and
then SAVE (i.e., do AT&Q4, then SET CALL TYPE VOICE, then EXIT, then
AT&W, and see if that works.)

One thing that bothers me about the Boca is that you have to go into
AT&Q4 to do some things, which requires more than just an AT line.
But with scripts this isn't that big of a deal (unless you're stuck
with W95 or something).

[Please note that USENET groups comp.os.linux.networking,linux.admin.isp
are still included but not necessarily part of thread; consider

I still have to find PPP MP SW and read RFC1717.  Anybody on how hard
it would be to get Linux's pppd to understand PPP MP?

Need to make Boca Webglider (aka Chase NetChaser) do MLPPP

Post by Fred R. Goldste » Tue, 11 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>So I went into the command menu (&Q4) and SET CALL TYPE VOICE.
>Then I redialed the Gandalf and lo and behold, it connected!
>Now on a competent box, this would have meant that the call was being adapted
>down to 56k automatically.  But I was suspicious.  I telnet'd into the
>Xpressway and looked at the call in progress -- "64 kbps unrestricted"!  So
>here was the NetChaser set to VOICE actually making a data call!

I've since discovered that SET CALL TYPE only takes effect after a SAVE, which
reboots the TA!  In that case, it DOES make "voice" calls, but hte current
(1.14) release doesn't have ANY 56k capabilities, so it does "DOV at 64",
which I'm sure makes a certain upper left coast contributor happy :-) but
which doesn't connect to anything around here.

The manufacturer assures me that this is being addressed for a future release.

--

BBN Corp., Cambridge MA  USA         +1 617 873 3850
Opinions are mine alone; sharing requires permission.

1. BOCA I/O650 (aka BOCA Turbo 650) 16C650 Serial Board

This ISA board, the BOCA I/O650 (aka BOCA Turbo 650), is equipped with
two 16C650 UARTs each supporting a maximum speed of 460Kbps. For low
speeds ( <= 115Kbps) it is a drop in replacement for the standard
"COM1" and "COM2" ports. However, to operate at speeds greater that
115Kbps one has to write some (currently unknown) bit pattern to the
boards "Clock Set" I/O Addresses.

          |  I/O Address  |
Jumpers   |  COM1 | COM2  |
setting 1 |  2C0  |  2C8  |
setting 2 |  2D0  |  2D8  |
setting 3 |  3C0  |  3C8  |

"Drivers" are provided with the board for Win 3.1 / 95 to do this. I am
looking for a equivelent piece of software for Linux (RedHat 6.1). Or
at worst, what the bit patterns are for what speeds and how to write to
those I/O addresses using Linux.

Please response by email. I will summarize to the net.

Steve Engle

2. Backup solutions

3. BOCA WEBGLIDER ISDN!!

4. Fonts/Icons/Everything too small

5. CML 1.1.0, aka "I feel the need...the need for speed."

6. How do I set screen resolution in Solaris x86??

7. Need Help with analog MLPPP!

8. HELP PID buildup

9. External ISDN adapter - Does it need to use mlppp?

10. ISDN MLPPP HELP NEEDED!!!!!

11. Support for 3com Etherlink XL aka 3c900 aka boomerang?

12. Need Help: Running MLPPP on Suse 6.1