unable to ping linux box from nt

Post by John D Prokope » Tue, 04 Jul 2000 04:00:00

what needs to be done on a RH6.2 linux box in order to participate on a
network? I have performed workstation and server install both times
setting up the nic card. I can ping the card using the ip address but I
cannot ping an NT box or be pinged from an NT box. I have even installed
over the linux install with NT just to make sure the hardware is okay.
NT to NT no problem.

I have a 5 port hub. the 2 boxes are setup with 192.168.0.1 and
192.168.0.3. I have tried subnet masks of 255.255.255.0 and 255.255.0.0
I have tried to specify a gateway as 192.168.0.1 and have tried no
gateway. The NT box is dual homed and can connect to the internet via
dsl. Setting up tcp/ip on a system should be idiot proof, isn't that
what the ip stands for ( okay bad joke ).

so, what I need is the secret for settup up tcpip networking on a rh6.2
box.

any help is greatly appreciated.

once I get this to work, i'll have to figure out how to get xdmcp to
work.
one step at a time

thanks

--
John D. Prokopek

"The bus came by
and I got on
thats when it all began ...."

unable to ping linux box from nt

Post by phinchma » Tue, 04 Jul 2000 04:00:00

John,

Saw your message and I'm having exact same problem.  Have been
to many user sites and can't get an answer.  You're right, IP
should be idiot proof.  One person I work with told me the
problem was likely an irq thing with the NIC, which I tried and
it didn't work.  Another has told me that they got around the
problem by switching to Corel Linux (I've tried RedHat 6.1, 6.2
and Caldera).  If I find an answer, I'll let you know....pisses
me off...

R/
Paul H.

Up to 100 minutes free!
http://www.keen.com

unable to ping linux box from nt

Post by news.phnx.uswest.ne » Tue, 04 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Well, at least you have a sense of humor about it with that lame joke ;P

Anyway, I had this problem once, i'm trying to think back.  You DO know that
linux can alias cards, correct?  You might want to also check the ruting
tables (route -n), along with trying to nmap the NT box to see if it's even
there.

Sorry I can't be more of a help
dt

> what needs to be done on a RH6.2 linux box in order to participate on a
> network? I have performed workstation and server install both times
> setting up the nic card. I can ping the card using the ip address but I
> cannot ping an NT box or be pinged from an NT box. I have even installed
> over the linux install with NT just to make sure the hardware is okay.
> NT to NT no problem.

> I have a 5 port hub. the 2 boxes are setup with 192.168.0.1 and
> 192.168.0.3. I have tried subnet masks of 255.255.255.0 and 255.255.0.0
> I have tried to specify a gateway as 192.168.0.1 and have tried no
> gateway. The NT box is dual homed and can connect to the internet via
> dsl. Setting up tcp/ip on a system should be idiot proof, isn't that
> what the ip stands for ( okay bad joke ).

> so, what I need is the secret for settup up tcpip networking on a rh6.2
> box.

> any help is greatly appreciated.

> once I get this to work, i'll have to figure out how to get xdmcp to
> work.
> one step at a time

> thanks

> --
> John D. Prokopek

> "The bus came by
> and I got on
> thats when it all began ...."

unable to ping linux box from nt

Post by John D Prokope » Tue, 04 Jul 2000 04:00:00

guess it's time to contact RH

i'll let you know if I find out anything useful.

cheers

--
John D. Prokopek

"The bus came by
and I got on
thats when it all began ...."

unable to ping linux box from nt

Post by John D Prokope » Tue, 04 Jul 2000 04:00:00

thanks for the reply

I'll try what ou have suggested although the routing table shouldn't
come into the picture if both ip addresses are in the same subnet.

strange thing with my latest try at installing linux, the system cannot
ping it's own ip address. The light is on on the hub but it can't ping
itself.
I have gone into  netconf and setup the ip address with the subnet mask
and all that good stuff but nothing.

I had none of these problems when I was running rh5.1

I'd hate to go backwards though

oh well i'll keep plugging away

thanks

--
John D. Prokopek

"The bus came by
and I got on
thats when it all began ...."

unable to ping linux box from nt

Post by Hub Op den Kam » Wed, 05 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

I ran into a problem than look a lot like yours. I had problems on my
network adaptor (see another message) and was doing a lot of
pinging. Some stations I could ping, some others on the same subnet
where not available. Neither by name, nor by IP-number. (There are
over 50 stations, so I could try a lot.) After a short time I found,
only the stations, that I entered in my /etc/hosts file where pingable.
So even if you use the IP number, it must be in the hosts file!

I've seen this before as a kind of security with rhost,rsh and that
type of commands. (So maybe the network security is made
Idiot Proof :-)

Hope this helps,

Post by Jochen Ness » Wed, 05 Jul 2000 04:00:00

|> what needs to be done on a RH6.2 linux box in order to participate on a
|> network? I have performed workstation and server install both times
|> setting up the nic card. I can ping the card using the ip address but I
|> cannot ping an NT box or be pinged from an NT box. I have even installed
|> over the linux install with NT just to make sure the hardware is okay.
|> NT to NT no problem.
|>
|> I have a 5 port hub. the 2 boxes are setup with 192.168.0.1 and
|> 192.168.0.3. I have tried subnet masks of 255.255.255.0 and 255.255.0.0
|> I have tried to specify a gateway as 192.168.0.1 and have tried no
|> gateway. The NT box is dual homed and can connect to the internet via
|> dsl. Setting up tcp/ip on a system should be idiot proof, isn't that
|> what the ip stands for ( okay bad joke ).
|>
|> so, what I need is the secret for settup up tcpip networking on a rh6.2
|> box.
|>
|> any help is greatly appreciated.
what does ifconfig -a show?

|> once I get this to work, i'll have to figure out how to get xdmcp to
|> work.
|> one step at a time
thats x-stuff. there is a line in xdmconfig that needs to be commented out
to allow xdmcp connections. thats usually all it takes.

best wishes

jochen

unable to ping linux box from nt

Post by John D Prokope » Wed, 05 Jul 2000 04:00:00

alright, I found one thing , if I execute "/sbin/ifup eth0" I can then
ping from a to the linux host.
the bad thing is that this is only temporary. If I restart the linux box
I must execute the command again.

makes sense to me , not!

--
John D. Prokopek

"The bus came by
and I got on
thats when it all began ...."

unable to ping linux box from nt

Post by John D Prokope » Wed, 05 Jul 2000 04:00:00

jochen,

thanks for the reply.

regarding the ping problem I find that if I execute "ifup eth0" I can
ping from and to the linux host. The down side is that I must execute
this command everytime the system starts up.

the output of the ifconfig -a is as follows

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:A0:CC:30:89:C0
          inet addr:192.168.0.3  Bcast:192.168.0.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
          Interrupt:10 Base address:0xe800

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:3924  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0

regarding the xdmcp problem, I cannot find an xdmconfig file on my
system.
I did come across a RH support request #397 that talks about the gdm
receive queue growing but no answer. I have examined the receive queue
via netstat -a and the receive queue remains at zero. I might guess that
the broadcast is not getting to the linux box, maybe?

thanks again, i'll keep plugging away

--
John D. Prokopek

"The bus came by
and I got on
thats when it all began ...."

unable to ping linux box from nt

Post by dle.. » Sat, 29 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> thanks for the reply

> I'll try what ou have suggested although the

routing table shouldn't
Quote:> come into the picture if both ip addresses are
in the same subnet.

> strange thing with my latest try at installing

linux, the system cannot
Quote:> ping it's own ip address. The light is on on

the hub but it can't ping
Quote:> itself.
> I have gone into  netconf and setup the ip

address with the subnet mask
> and all that good stuff but nothing.

> I had none of these problems when I was running
rh5.1

> I'd hate to go backwards though

> oh well i'll keep plugging away

> thanks

> > Well, at least you have a sense of humor

about it with that lame joke ;P
Quote:

> > Anyway, I had this problem once, i'm trying

to think back.  You DO know that
Quote:> > linux can alias cards, correct?  You might

want to also check the ruting
Quote:> > tables (route -n), along with trying to nmap

the NT box to see if it's even
> > there.

> > Sorry I can't be more of a help
> > dt

message

> > > what needs to be done on a RH6.2 linux box

in order to participate on a
Quote:> > > network? I have performed workstation and

server install both times
Quote:> > > setting up the nic card. I can ping the

card using the ip address but I
Quote:> > > cannot ping an NT box or be pinged from an

NT box. I have even installed
Quote:> > > over the linux install with NT just to make

sure the hardware is okay.
Quote:> > > NT to NT no problem.

> > > I have a 5 port hub. the 2 boxes are setup

with 192.168.0.1 and
Quote:> > > 192.168.0.3. I have tried subnet masks of

255.255.255.0 and 255.255.0.0
Quote:> > > I have tried to specify a gateway as

192.168.0.1 and have tried no
Quote:> > > gateway. The NT box is dual homed and can

connect to the internet via
Quote:> > > dsl. Setting up tcp/ip on a system should

be idiot proof, isn't that
Quote:> > > what the ip stands for ( okay bad joke ).

> > > so, what I need is the secret for settup up

tcpip networking on a rh6.2
Quote:> > > box.

> > > any help is greatly appreciated.

> > > once I get this to work, i'll have to

figure out how to get xdmcp to

> > > work.
> > > one step at a time

> > > thanks

> > > --
> > > John D. Prokopek

> > > "The bus came by
> > > and I got on
> > > thats when it all began ...."

> --
> John D. Prokopek

> "The bus came by
> and I got on
> thats when it all began ...."

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. Can Ping Windows Box, But Windows Box Can't Ping Linux Box

Hi,
    the setup is Linux Mandrake 7.0 with Edimax 10/100 PCI NIC
with Reaktek 8139 connected to Win98 with 3COM ...3C509 NIC.
Linux can ping the Windows box, but the Windows box, can't ping
the Linux box.

                                                        Mike

2. Almost... LILO & swap & ro / ?

3. Unable to telnet/ping to/from Linux box

4. Hardware RAID

5. Unable to ping nt or linux

6. 100-200 or more Users on a SCO BOX

7. apache.org ?

8. Win98 can ping Linux, but Linux can't ping Win98 box

9. Network configuration with DHCP, unable to ping my box with its name

10. Please Help: Linux box won't ping Win98 box!

11. Help: NT box can ping RH7.0, telnet fails