NIC works but network doesn't...

Post by Ben Sandle » Fri, 21 Aug 1998 04:00:00

I'm using RedHat 5.1 and an NE2000 NIC.  Here's the problem:
The network card is recognized and is assigned an IRQ and all.  However,
I am unable to ping
other machines, and they can't ping me.  The network consists of 6 Win95
machines which are all
able to ping each other and the Linux server (well, not serving much
now,
for obvious reasons).  The connection is through a hub with twisted pair
cables.  ifconfig lists eth0 with all the right info.
I get the following message pop up on the console every so often:
FATAL: ipcache_init: DNS name lookup tests failed.

What is the problem here?

Much thanks,
Ben

--
Ben Sandler
email me: sandler at ymail dot yu dot edu

"Windows is an operating system, not a religion."
- Ted Waitt, chairman of Gateway

NIC works but network doesn't...

Post by Jim Robert » Fri, 21 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Ben,

It sounds like you don't quite have all the networking set up
on the Linux box.

Unless you are running a name server on the local net, you will
need to set-up the "/etc/hosts" file in the Linux box. Also, check
the /etc/resolv.conf" file for proper entries.

order hosts, bind
multi-on

--
Jim Roberts

NIC works but network doesn't...

Post by Ben Sandle » Fri, 21 Aug 1998 04:00:00

> Ben,

> It sounds like you don't quite have all the networking set up
> on the Linux box.

> Unless you are running a name server on the local net, you will
> need to set-up the "/etc/hosts" file in the Linux box. Also, check
> the /etc/resolv.conf" file for proper entries.

I have an /etc/hosts file with all the machines on the network.  I'd
like to use that as a local nameserver, but that's not really
important.  Is there something in my setup that's telling it to look for
a nameserver that doesn't exist?

Quote:

> order hosts, bind
> multi-on

Is that resolv.conf or host.conf?  That's what I have in my host.conf
file.

Thanks,
Ben

--
Ben Sandler
email me: sandler at ymail dot yu dot edu

"Windows is an operating system, not a religion."
- Ted Waitt, chairman of Gateway

NIC works but network doesn't...

Post by Jim Robert » Fri, 21 Aug 1998 04:00:00

> > Ben,

> > It sounds like you don't quite have all the networking set up
> > on the Linux box.

> > Unless you are running a name server on the local net, you will
> > need to set-up the "/etc/hosts" file in the Linux box. Also, check
> > the /etc/resolv.conf" file for proper entries.

> I have an /etc/hosts file with all the machines on the network.  I'd
> like to use that as a local nameserver, but that's not really
> important.  Is there something in my setup that's telling it to look for
> a nameserver that doesn't exist?

> > order hosts, bind
> > multi-on

> Is that resolv.conf or host.conf?  That's what I have in my host.conf
> file.

Sorry, resolv.conf lists the DNS by dotted notation and the domains
to search for name to address information.

Jim Roberts

1. 10BASE-T NIC and 100mbps NIC to a dual-speed hub doesn't work?

This question may be too dumb. In my home network configuration, I have
a DFE-530TX in a linux (RH6.0) box, a PCMCIA 10base-t card in a win98
laptop. Both of them are connected to a dual speed (Ethernet/Fast
Ethernet) hub. I assigned the linux box to 192.168.1.1 and win98 to
192.168.1.2. From the hub, I can see the 10mbps light is on of the port
connecting laptop's NIC and 100mbps light on of the port connecting the
linux. But when I ping from linux to the win98, it just does not have
any response. The same thing to the laptop. Simply, these two machines
don't know each other at all. Strangely, if I assign same IP address to
both machines, pinging from linux, a window popped in the win98 saying
"The system has detected a conflict for IP address 192.168.1.1 with the
system having hardware address xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx". The address is my
linux NIC.

I must missed something basic in network wiring. Please someone tell me
what's wrong with the above configuration.

Thanks,

David

  david.yuan.vcf
< 1K Download

2. httpd cgi interface

3. More (other) NIC info/Problem: NIC doesn't work anymore, SIOCIFADDR-errors

4. R5 Hangs after Freeing unused kernel memory

5. Re. bffcreate -X doesn't work Re: bffcreate -X Doesn't Work

6. Singular eprom burner support

7. Strange problem, network doesn't work, networking stuff installed.

8. rcs vs. sccs

9. PPP doesn't die, it just doesn't work anymore

10. After linux's network works, win XP's network cannot work ?

11. nic doesn't work!

12. Problem: NIC doesn't work anymore, SIOCIFADDR-errors

13. : PLIP start up doesn't report problems but also doesn't work?