PPP - wierd log file entry

Post by Carl Filp » Thu, 23 Sep 1999 04:00:00

My PPP has suddenly decided to drop off and random times
more than once per day.

The ppp.log file reports the following:

started by root, uid 0
Sep 22 17:14:12 dh1 chat[282]: abort on (BUSY)

drop-out.

My ppp config has a persist option which normally dials after a line
drop-out but this
is not happening.

The system log reports the same obviously.

The system is:  Debian 2.1 SLINK kernel 2.0.36 which hasn't caused any probs
until now.

Any advice ? Comments ??  Recommendations ???  Help ???

-- Carl Filpo
Computer Network Consultant

Carl Filpo   BSc(Curtin)
Computer Network Consultant

C&M Computer Solutions
26 Russell St
MORLEY  WA   6062

Phone:  +61 8 9375 1144
Fax:      +61 8 9375 1141
Mobile:   0407 396 316

PPP - wierd log file entry

Post by DanH » Thu, 23 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> My PPP has suddenly decided to drop off and random times
> more than once per day.

> The ppp.log file reports the following:

> Sep 22 16:55:32 dh1 pppd[269]: rcvd [LCP EchoRep id=0x7 magic=0xc34316eb]

> started by root, uid 0

Yeah, I've got an idea.  That's a LLLLOOOTTT like what a buffer overflow
looks like.  Check your tripwire logs near when it started, look in your
/etc/password for a user you didn't put in, check your /var/log/messages
near when it started, check for suid files, reinstall your OS.

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think so.

Dan
--
UNIX - Not just for vestal *s anymore
Linux - Choice of a GNU generation

PPP - wierd log file entry

Post by Greyson Fische » Sun, 26 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> My PPP has suddenly decided to drop off and random times
> more than once per day.

> The ppp.log file reports the following:

> Sep 22 16:55:32 dh1 pppd[269]: rcvd [LCP EchoRep id=0x7 magic=0xc34316eb]

> started by root, uid 0
> Sep 22 17:14:12 dh1 chat[282]: abort on (BUSY)

> drop-out.

> My ppp config has a persist option which normally dials after a line
> drop-out but this
> is not happening.

> The system log reports the same obviously.

> The system is:  Debian 2.1 SLINK kernel 2.0.36 which hasn't caused any probs
> until now.

> Any advice ? Comments ??  Recommendations ???  Help ???

About the only thing that I can tell you is that they are not dangerous,

can't help you much more than that.

1. wierd stuffs in proxy log file and back end server log file

OH, folks,

I have 5 apache 1.3.19 under linux totally. One is for proxy and 4
others are backend servers.

I have for instance, over 400 requests concurrently sending from 4
different clients to the proxy.

 Sometimes, the proxy log file has the error messages like:
Connection refused: proxy connect to xxx (IP of a backend server) port
80 failed. or sometimes, it is not port 80, it is port 8 or 808,
something like that. But I do not have these port number in my rewrite
engine or in the conf file. I only deal with 8080. It seems that it
only happens when it deals with large concurrent requests.

Also, in the backend server, sometimes, it will say: file not exist:
/serverroot/apache/htdocs/some wierd string /somefile exists .
Definitely it is not found since it adds some wierd string in the
middle. Those wierd strings seem to be some substring from the
request,for instance, http://xxx. It does not always happens.

Can anyone tells me what is going on? Thanks

Jenny

2. X FTP Client

3. Wierd log entries from MSIE browsers

4. 4 port serial cards

5. Wierd entry in /var/log/messages

6. Linux for the XBox?

7. wierd last log entry

8. Writing control codes to device through a device driver

9. Apache Logs : wrong entries in log files

10. Check your ppp.log or ppp.tun0.log in /var/log

11. Really wierd behavior with apache log file and reverse lookups

12. Several entries in log into one entry, how?

13. tools for cleaning log files of "robot" entries?