ne2000 ETHERNET CARD

Post by Matthias Cram » Sun, 10 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Hi All

I've a problem with my ne2000 ethernet card. With the new kernel versions (from
1.2.11 to 1.3.6) this card won't be detected ... with the kernel 1.1.59
it was detected at boot time, and now with the newer versions nothing will be
detected ... wath i make false ?? wich kernel should i take ?? or what i most
configure ???

Regards

   Matthias

--
|Fidonet:  Matthias Cramer 2:301/829

| From FreeStone BBS !! +41-1-8656863 ZyX 19'200

ne2000 ETHERNET CARD

Post by William E. Powe » Tue, 12 Sep 1995 04:00:00

: Hi All
:
: I've a problem with my ne2000 ethernet card. With the new kernel versions (from
: 1.2.11 to 1.3.6) this card won't be detected ... with the kernel 1.1.59
: it was detected at boot time, and now with the newer versions nothing will be
: detected ... wath i make false ?? wich kernel should i take ?? or what i most
: configure ???
:
I read a note on this somewhere; I wish I could remember where.  Perhaps the
ethernet HOWTO?  The memory area used by the NE-2000 by default slightly
overlaps the parallel port memory area.

It doesn't cause problems in practical use, but the NE-2000 driver is now
pickier and won't allow it.  Workaround is to disable the parallel port
driver or re-jumper the card to use a different base address.

--

Bill Powers

ne2000 ETHERNET CARD

Post by Rich Gortatows » Sun, 17 Sep 1995 04:00:00

: Hi All
:
: I've a problem with my ne2000 ethernet card. With the new kernel versions (from
: 1.2.11 to 1.3.6) this card won't be detected ... with the kernel 1.1.59
: it was detected at boot time, and now with the newer versions nothing will be
: detected ... wath i make false ?? wich kernel should i take ?? or what i most
: configure ???
:
: Regards
:
:    Matthias
:
:
I installed the NET boot disk and UMSDOS & TTY on two differennt systems
using 10 base T hub etc and 2 ethernet cards...

At the installation time both were saw, at the time I installed most the software
and decided to go and configure the TCP/IP items etc ifconfig now yells
that no cards exist...
I ordered free BSD and am begining to thin linux is just a compilation of
garbage. I have for two weeks tried to solve the problems, read the HOW-TO
trash which is at best the piss-poorest compilation of technical items I may
ever have read. IBM's technical writers look like gods as compared to these
people. THey ought read & not write.

EVERY machine I have installed linux on never see's the CD rom's no mater
HOW standard they are. Ftape is like real unstable, and once in, cannot be
uninstalled via the methods the How-not-to's claim.

Maybe freeBSD is better....

For all the Linux groups on USENET one would figure someone would respond
w/ an answer to my problems. But for two weeks, I post & post & post and
nothing. SO far this wonderful compilation of junk has cost me upwards of
$400 ... I went and got OS/2, installed, no problems, see's the cards etc.
Is why OS/2 is salable and linux is given away as it is not a supportable item
It is also the reason respectable FTP places all appear to use FREEBSD or
something that doesnt puke w/ hardware incompatibility with each and every
different peice of hardware around. Even game programmers can detect hardware
better than this garbage.

Like I said.... Everyone here never responds to any real woes.. I have tried & tried & tried.

Please use this address ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
These comments are mine alone and not those of Eastman Kodak. Meow..

ne2000 ETHERNET CARD

Post by Kevin Bu » Sun, 17 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Quote:(Rich Gortatowsky) writes:

| For all the Linux groups on USENET one would figure someone would respond
| w/ an answer to my problems. But for two weeks, I post & post & post and
| nothing.

Gee, let's recap.  You're rude, obnoxious, and insulting.  You come
across like the penultimate jerk.  Then, you wonder why no one wants
to help you.

Hmmm...  That's a puzzle, alright.

ne2000 ETHERNET CARD

Post by Warren E. Wolf » Tue, 19 Sep 1995 04:00:00

>At the installation time both were saw, at the time I installed most the software
>and decided to go and configure the TCP/IP items etc ifconfig now yells
>that no cards exist...

   You probably need to configure, and recompile the kernel.

Quote:>I ordered free BSD and am begining to thin linux is just a compilation of
>garbage.

   I find it a very decent product, if not amazing.

Quote:>I have for two weeks tried to solve the problems, read the HOW-TO
>trash which is at best the piss-poorest compilation of technical items I may
>ever have read. IBM's technical writers look like gods as compared to these
>people. THey ought read & not write.

   Why don't you write a technical manual about an operating system you're writing
for NOTHING, in Finnish, and see how it looks...

Quote:>EVERY machine I have installed linux on never see's the CD rom's no mater
>HOW standard they are. Ftape is like real unstable, and once in, cannot be
>uninstalled via the methods the How-not-to's claim.

   Now I'm CERTAIN you need to re-configure and re-complile your kernel.  I, too,
was in the same position, until I did actually read the included documentation.
Then I knew that I was just being impatient.  The kernel that ends up installed on
your machine, and boots, is full of "crap" you don't need, as they want to have
everything supported as much as possible.  Clean it up -- make sure all your
hardware has the support included, and take out code for hardware you don't have.
It should work, once compiled.  Have you tried this yet?  I suspect not.

Quote:>Like I said.... Everyone here never responds to any real woes.. I have tried & tried & tried.

   You know, I was tempted not to answer myself...  Perhaps people don't like to get
involved with a bunch of whining and *ing....  If you want a professional user
support group, buy SCO's product.  It's very good.  But, then again, so is Linux...

--

       ___    _    ____    _    ___
      /   \__/ \__/    \__/ \__/   \      "Hey Rocky!

       \________/ |    | \________/       out of the InterNet!"
               __/    _/                  "But that trick never works."
              /) (o _/                    "This time for sure."

ne2000 ETHERNET CARD

Post by Bob Hau » Wed, 20 Sep 1995 04:00:00

|> : (Rich Gortatowsky) writes:
|> : |
|> : | For all the Linux groups on USENET one would figure someone would respond
|> : | w/ an answer to my problems. But for two weeks, I post & post & post and
|> : | nothing.
|>
|> : Gee, let's recap.  You're rude, obnoxious, and insulting.  You come
|> : across like the penultimate jerk.  Then, you wonder why no one wants
|> : to help you.
|>
|> : Hmmm...  That's a puzzle, alright.
|>

|> Why? Because I dont sing the praises of Linux?
|> I see people all over these linux forums asking for assistance and all I
|> generally keep seeing is no help for them.

How do you know?  Many questions get answered by e-mail.  I tend
to answer a couple per day.

|> I call it the way I see it.
|> Because I point out this fact I am the rude, obnoxious and insulting?

Yes.  This is not an advocacy group.  If your needs aren't being
met by Linux, feel free to go elsewhere.  Please do not start
responding to every question with "yes, Linux is shit, you should
look elsewhere".  This is not helpful, especially when the person
has an easily remedied problem.

|> Where was I rude? Did I call anyone rude? I think you did
|> Obnoxious? As in stating that Linux is a mish-mosh of code?
|> Insulting? As in MacIntosh .vs. PC wars that still maintain to this day.

Please take it to an advocacy group.  That's what they are for.

|> I have posted some 5-6 messages w/JUST the facts as to my problem.

Must have missed them.

|> One person responded whom I just emailed. Thats over two / three weeks time.
|> But the MOMENT, THE INSTANT I state that Linux is not gods answer to a decent
|> free/stable operating system, all these fine (better than I) people start
|> calling me names.... Ah... Bliss.

That is not what you did.  You started answering other people's
questions with comments to the effect that it is all shit and
they should give it up.  Not at all the same thing as pointing
out a flaw, now is it?

Now, if you want help, please describe your problem in more
detail than "it doesn't work, it is shit, it is a mismash".

Error messages, symptoms, versions of software, hardware
configuration, whatever.  If you can refrain from calling names
for a while, someone _might_ be able to help.  "Networking does
not work" is insufficient unless you want to pay me to come over
and fix it on site.

If the help you get is not good enough, and you don't think Linux
is for you, then that's ok.  But there is no need to hang around
here telling everyone what shit it is.  It just makes you look,
well, rude and obnoxious.

---
 Bob Hauck                              Wasatch Communcations Group

ne2000 ETHERNET CARD

Post by Kevin Bu » Thu, 21 Sep 1995 04:00:00

[ Followups to comp.os.linux.advocacy... ]

Quote:(Rich Gortatowsky) writes:

| Lets recap...
|
| Where was I rude? Did I call anyone rude? I think you did
| Obnoxious? As in stating that Linux is a mish-mosh of code?
| Insulting? As in MacIntosh .vs. PC wars that still maintain to this day.

Some quotes from you:

Quote:

>                         I have for two weeks tried to solve the
> problems, read the HOW-TO trash which is at best the piss-poorest
> compilation of technical items I may ever have read. IBM's technical
> writers look like gods as compared to these people. THey ought read
> & not write.

> Even game programmers can detect hardware better than this garbage.

Quote:

> For 2 weeks I have asked questions here, read the how-to stuff which
> is basically written in possibly the worst writing I have ever read.
> I oprdered freebsd yesterday.... Linux appears to be a mickey mouse
> compilation of junk that needs massaging MAJOR massaging on any
> hardware.

Quote:

> Whoever coded hardware detections in the linux abomination ought go
> back to putting buttons on clthing.

> Now we know why they can sell a product, and others put garbage ware
> on cd and leetch a few bucks... You get what you pay for, I guess.

Quote:

> I have recomplied the kernel, looked at the code (which some of its
> most entertaining)

Are you still having trouble seeing how you might have insulted the
authors of the HOWTOs, the people writing hardware drivers, the folks
organizing the kernel code, and those coding hardware probing and
detection?

Your rudeness and obnoxiousness are left as exercises to the reader.

| I have posted some 5-6 messages w/JUST the facts as to my problem.

Hmmm...  Let me check back in my newsspool (10 days worth):

Quote:

> I ordered free BSD and am begining to thin linux is just a
> compilation of garbage.

Quote:

> Linux is simply garbage.

Quote:

> I am trying to do all because of this linux piece of garbage.

Quote:

> Like I said, shoulld rename the junk to lin-s-ux

Quote:

> Its simply junk....

Were these the facts you were referring to?

| But the MOMENT, THE INSTANT I state that Linux is not gods answer to
| a decent free/stable operating system, all these fine (better than
| I) people start calling me names.... Ah... Bliss.
|
| Ummmm.... You need some help dude.

Don't call me "dude", freak.  And if you don't want to be called
names, shut down your newsreader and go play with your toy blocks.

Frankly, I don't care *what* you think about Linux.  In fact, I'm
*glad* you've wasted so much money and have been made so miserable,
because I love to see rude, obnoxious, insulting whiners get
depressed.  To be frank, it makes my day.

I was merely pointing out that the reasons no one wants to answer your
questions shouldn't be a mystery to you.  It certainly isn't a mystery
to anyone reading your posts.

Post by Keith Smi » Fri, 22 Sep 1995 04:00:00

>: Gee, let's recap.  You're rude, obnoxious, and insulting.  You come
>: across like the penultimate jerk.  Then, you wonder why no one wants
>: to help you.

>: Hmmm...  That's a puzzle, alright.

>Why? Because I dont sing the praises of Linux?

No because you came across rudely

Quote:>I see people all over these linux forums asking for assistance and all I
>generally keep seeing is no help for them.

You do eh?  I see TONS of answers in here to questions.

Quote:>I call it the way I see it.
>Because I point out this fact I am the rude, obnoxious and insulting?

No, but that is _not_ what you did.

Quote:>Lets recap...

Let's do

Quote:

>Where was I rude? Did I call anyone rude? I think you did
>Obnoxious? As in stating that Linux is a mish-mosh of code?
>Insulting? As in MacIntosh .vs. PC wars that still maintain to this day.

RICH>I ordered free BSD and am begining to thin linux is just a compilation
RICH>of garbage.  I have for two weeks tried to solve the problems, read the
RICH>HOW-TO trash which is at best the piss-poorest compilation of technical
RICH>items I may ever have read.  IBM's technical writers look like gods as
RICH>compared to these people.  THey ought read & not write.

Lesse,
linux is "garbage"
The people who write the HOW-TO's write "piss-poor trash"
People who write HOW-TO's ought read & not write.

Nahh, None of that is inflamitory or rude, Nahh.

Quote:>I have posted some 5-6 messages w/JUST the facts as to my problem.
>One person responded whom I just emailed. Thats over two / three weeks time.

So you can CALL several places and pay money for support.  "JUST the
facts huh?" Well FYI I kinda just load Slackware and it runs right on my
10bT stuff if I get the IP addresses right.  I always build a custom
kernel though.

I can also possibly guess your problem.  You didn't load one of the 'Q'
alternate kernels with support for your network adaptor, or it is in
conflict somewhere.

Alternately you could have loaded the Development Stuff:
cd /usr/src/linux
make config -- Enable stuff for all your hardware, turn off the other
               stuff.
make dep; make clean; make zlilo

Once done re-boot and look at dmesg, then post that, and your
/etc/rc.inet? files with the error messages, or email them to me and I
will try to help you.

Quote:>But the MOMENT, THE INSTANT I state that Linux is not gods answer to a decent
>free/stable operating system, all these fine (better than I) people start
>calling me names.... Ah... Bliss.

No you stated (above quoted by me) that linux was "garbage" and the
people who write the documentation, can't write, and that it is
"piss-poor".

Quote:>Ummmm.... You need some help dude.

Ummm, yea, right.  Tell you what instead, _PLEASE_, get BSD and leave
this group.

--

Digital Designs                                   (910) 423-4216/7389/7391
PO Box 85                                                   V.34/V.34/V.32

ne2000 ETHERNET CARD

Post by Christer Weinig » Sun, 24 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Don't go away, there are actually some suggestions about your hardware
trouble below.

>Lets recap...

>Where was I rude? Did I call anyone rude? I think you did
>Obnoxious? As in stating that Linux is a mish-mosh of code?
>Insulting? As in MacIntosh .vs. PC wars that still maintain to this day.

Yes, using phrases such as "the piss-poorest compilation of technical
items I may ever have read" and "IBM's technical writers look like
gods as compared to these people. THey ought read & not write" usually
tend to irritate people.

Because I felt quite bothered by your attitude, and that you seem to
feel that noone has bothered to help you, I decided to see if I could
find one of your postings where you asked questions.  First of all, do
you realize how much traffic goes through the comp.os.linux groups?
There has been about 1200 posts to c.o.l.hardware during the last
month, and the subject "Linux Ethernet woes HELP!" is rather
unspecific and stands a rather good chance of getting lost in the
clutter.  If you don't get an answer in about two weeks, try again.
You really can't demand any help though, nobody (AFAIK) gets paid to
sift through the c.o.l groups and answer questions; if you really want
to be able to demand support, contact one of the companies that do
sell support for Linux or go with the RedHat distribution.

Anyway, since the installation detected the NE2000's, but the final
setup didn't, most probably the kernel you installed on your harddisk
is without network support.  To see if this is the problem, go find
your bootfloppy again (you did keep it didn't you :-).  Boot from it
and see if the NE2000's are detected.  If they are, try booting from
the floppy again and type something like this att the LILO command
line (assuming that you're running Slackware):

mount root=/dev/hda1

where /dev/hda1 is your root partition.  Hopefully, you'll be able to
use and configure your network now.  If this works, please mail me

floppy and onto your hard disk.

Cheers,
  Christer

ne2000 ETHERNET CARD

Post by Bernie Doehne » Mon, 09 Oct 1995 04:00:00

>   Umm, perhaps it's because your problem reports (at least the
>ones I've seen) don't say much more than 'LINUX DOESN'T RECOGNISE
>MY NE2000 CARD, SO IT SUCKS'; it may very well suck, but that
>certainly doesn't provide any information that people can use to
>help you figure out what's going wrong with your setup.

>   Yes, you certainly get more attention when you start shouting
>abuse at the system, but it's somewhat silly to expect that it will
>be anything other than the fanatics leaping to defend their favorite
>piece of software.

>                 ____

                  \/

Guys,

It's about time to put this and parallel (my ne2000 doesn't work!)
threads to an end. If you are one of the "bright" people who
posted about their NE2000 not working with their Linux system,
PLEASE read the section in the Ethernet FAQ that deals with properly
configuring an NE2000 (toward the bottom of the document) and don't
come back till you have read this section.

I have gotten mine and several other NE2000's to work by following
the instructions in that section.

If you don't understand what this section wants you to do, feel free
to ask me in private email or post your questions here, but don't start
with "My NE 2000 doesn't work".

My $0.02..
Thanks.

ne2000 ETHERNET CARD

Post by p.. » Mon, 09 Oct 1995 04:00:00

:Guys,
:
[...]

There is another reason why the "NE2000 doesn't work" is asked
again and again; it did work on slackware 2.1 and doesn't on 2.3...

Both versions were a "complete" install including formatting the
linux partition; the ne2000 is no longer seen by the scsi.
The ne2000 is seen by the scsinet disk; the settings haven't changed.

The problem is that the install is at fault if the address and irq are
remain the same between versions of the install.

I've asked for help with no replies or just read the howto for getting
the ne2000 to work; heck I even printed the sucker and it still didn't
help.  BUT when a newer slackware version was available, the install
worked fine and got the ne2000 working and networking beautifuly.

So, don't be too arrogant and feel that it is the users' fault all the time.
Even if the post states that parts are broken somewhere, someone
somewhere will pipe up and say it works fine for him/her.....

1. 3COM ethernet card and NE2000 ethernet card

I've been trying to set up my system with a 3COM 3C905 PCI network card and
an NE2000 network card.  I do a "make xconfig", I change the 3COM setting
for the 3COM card to yes and I change the NE2000 compatible card to yes.
Then I recompile the kernel as normal:  make dep  make clean  make boot
make modules  make modules_install.  Then I copy the kernel over to the
/boot and edit lilo.conf and then I run /sbin/lilo.

When I reboot, the kernel doesn't finish loading and gives me a message
saying something like, "Kernel panic:VFS".  What am I doing wrong?  I'm
also using kernel version 2.0.32.

Thanks,

Ben

2. 1.3.59 + collected.mark6 patches problems

3. HELP! NE2000 Ethernet card won't work!

4. Need bogus DOS partition

5. NE2000 Ethernet Card

6. Mandrake 6.0 update questions

7. SIOCSIFADDR network error with ne2000 ethernet card

8. HELP: Forked processes appear to be deadlocked !!

9. NE2000 Ethernet Card Problems (Config Help)

10. LanStar PCI NE2000 Ethernet Card -- HELP PLEASE

11. ISA NE2000 Ethernet card recommendations?

12. 99pl13, can't get NE2000 ethernet card to add route correctly.

13. help with ISA ne2000 ethernet card