Multiple MACs from same Interface OR MAC/VLAN NATting

Multiple MACs from same Interface OR MAC/VLAN NATting

Post by nikhil.subscri.. » Tue, 29 Aug 2006 19:02:39

Hi,

I have following requirement.

Quote:>From a single linux interface I want to have multiple HTTP connections

(using curl) to a server such that each connection has a unique source
MAC address.

Now using VCONFIG I can create those many virtual interfaces, assign
unique subnet IP address/MAC address to each virtual interface.

i.e.:

Host: eth1.101 (IP:- 10.1.1.1/24, MAC:-11:22:33:44:55:66) --- Server:
eth1.101 (IP:- 10.1.1.100/24)
Host: eth1.102 (IP:- 10.1.2.1/24, MAC:-11:22:33:44:55:67) --- Server:
eth1.102 (IP:- 10.1.2.100/24)

and so on...

so if I execute: curl http://10.1.1.1.100, it will go with MAC1
and if I execute: curl http://10.1.1.2.100, it will go with MAC2.

This approach is fine, but then I have to create those many virtual
interfaces on the server as well which I want to avoid.

So I basically want the traffic to reach the server with different MAC
addresses but only one VLAN ID, which could be anything.

Another approach that I am currently ruminating is as follows:

Put a router in between. This will give me one VLAN ID.
Put another linux host between the router and HTTP server running
EBTABLES, using which I can do MAC NATting so that I replace the
router's MAC address with the original virtual interfaces MAC address.

But I am a little skeptical about this approach as I haven't really
used EBTABLES and I don't know what all problems I may run into, for
e.g. ARP resolution and what not.

So if any of you have any ideas/solution I'll be more than glad to hear
it.

Thanking in anticipation
Nikhil

1. comp.sys.mac.misc comp.sys.mac.system comp.sys.mac.apps

We're looking for input on a decent Mac with ethernet to Unix file transfer
utility.  At present we're using the gatorbox, but the Appletalk speed is
clearly unsuited for our pruposes, that is transferring large sounds files
from the Mac to our Unix servers.  We have some Macs with Ethernet Cards,
and have tried uShare and InterCon's Mac NFS.  A quick summary of these two:

uShare runs on the Sun 4, and fires up some atp daemons that allow the Macs
on Ethernet to mount Unix disks.  However, it seems pretty buggy, prone to
crash and isn't all that easy to configure or use. But it's just one piece
of costly software that runs on the Sun.

Mac NFS lives on the mac, takes a bit of configuring to get running, but once
in place it seems to work.  However, it's over $200/pop, and that could get
pretty pricey, given the number of Mac at our site.

Does anybody have any experience with these products or their competitors?

this is YOUR CHANCE to contribute your wisdom for the good of all.  Your

Rick Kleffel

2. ? lost keymap in XFree 3.1.2D

3. ( Want a Mac Interface..?..get a Mac...! )

4. Unmounting remote file systems hangup

5. Windoze 95 ( Want a Mac Interface..?..get a Mac)

6. Security Defaults cannot be changed properly

7. Windoze 95 ( Want a Mac Interface..?..get a Mac.)

8. I2C on MPC860

9. Windoze 95 ( Want a Mac Interface..?..get a Mac...!)

10. Sun MAC allocation (per box) vs. VLANs

11. NAT with 2 public interfaces and 1 privat nat interface

12. How do I mount a Mac volume or export a partition to a Mac?

13. MAC OS 9, MAC OS X and linuxppc 2000