Win98 Machine Connected Via Modem, Linux Needs Connection..help!!!!

Win98 Machine Connected Via Modem, Linux Needs Connection..help!!!!

Post by [D] [R] [O] [ » Tue, 22 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Hi Guys,
    I have a Win98 machine with a cable modem, internal. I want to be
able to use linux thu the win98 machine. I have both computers on a
5-port hub, they both ping each other, however, how do i get to use
Linux thru the 98 machine, now here is my wish.. I would like to use
all the shell utilities, i know x-windows is the thing, but i want to
be able to use the other stuff in the shell, like lynx, telnet, etc...
is this possible??? Any help can and will be much appreciated..
-Nick

Win98 Machine Connected Via Modem, Linux Needs Connection..help!!!!

Post by me.. » Tue, 22 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Hi Guys,
>     I have a Win98 machine with a cable modem, internal. I want to be
> able to use linux thu the win98 machine. I have both computers on a
> 5-port hub, they both ping each other, however, how do i get to use
> Linux thru the 98 machine, now here is my wish.. I would like to use
> all the shell utilities, i know x-windows is the thing, but i want to
> be able to use the other stuff in the shell, like lynx, telnet, etc...
> is this possible??? Any help can and will be much appreciated..
> -Nick

*ponder* I don't think it can be accomplished through Win9X. It can be
done with NT I know,  using the RAS  and a private network.  I'm not that
familiar with 98 so I'm not totally sure. The problem lies in the fact
that win9x wasn't really designed to be server OS, and is peer-to-peer,
or a client.

There might be some software out there (ie WinGate) that might help,
though. Good luck in your efforts.

Ryan

Post by Ken Corma » Wed, 23 Jun 1999 04:00:00

>> Hi Guys,
>>     I have a Win98 machine with a cable modem, internal. I want to be
>> able to use linux thu the win98 machine. I have both computers on a
>> 5-port hub, they both ping each other, however, how do i get to use
>> Linux thru the 98 machine, now here is my wish.. I would like to use
>> all the shell utilities, i know x-windows is the thing, but i want to
>> be able to use the other stuff in the shell, like lynx, telnet, etc...
>> is this possible??? Any help can and will be much appreciated..
>> -Nick

>*ponder* I don't think it can be accomplished through Win9X. It can be
>done with NT I know,  using the RAS  and a private network.  I'm not that
>familiar with 98 so I'm not totally sure. The problem lies in the fact
>that win9x wasn't really designed to be server OS, and is peer-to-peer,
>or a client.

>There might be some software out there (ie WinGate) that might help,
>though. Good luck in your efforts.

>Ryan

Another option to investigate (if you care to spend the money) is the
new Windows 98 "Second Edition", that was just released on June 10th.
Kind of like OSR2 was to Windows 95, the "Second Edition" version of
98 is supposed to add some new features to 98.  One of them is
peer-to-peer modem-sharing like WinGate, I would think, but I dont
know all of the particulars since I havent played with "Second
Edition" yet.  I would ask around first, to see if anyone could give
you more specific info about its abilities and limitations.

I saw it retailing for $79 U.S. for the upgrade version, and $179 U.S.
for the "no previous version of Windows required" version.  I'm sure
those were full list prices, and you could probably do better at the
discounters.

Win98 Machine Connected Via Modem, Linux Needs Connection..help!!!!

Post by Nicholas E Couchma » Wed, 23 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Go download SpoonPoxy for Win9x machines (I think the website is
www.spoonproxy.com, if not, go to www.tucows.com).  I use SpoonProxy w/
Win95 and it works great.  I have two Linux machines and an NT machine
routed through it.
--Nick

Quote:> Hi Guys,
>     I have a Win98 machine with a cable modem, internal. I want to be
> able to use linux thu the win98 machine. I have both computers on a
> 5-port hub, they both ping each other, however, how do i get to use
> Linux thru the 98 machine, now here is my wish.. I would like to use
> all the shell utilities, i know x-windows is the thing, but i want to
> be able to use the other stuff in the shell, like lynx, telnet, etc...
> is this possible??? Any help can and will be much appreciated..
> -Nick

Win98 Machine Connected Via Modem, Linux Needs Connection..help!!!!

Post by pg » Wed, 23 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

> Another option to investigate (if you care to spend the money) is the
> new Windows 98 "Second Edition", that was just released on June 10th.
> Kind of like OSR2 was to Windows 95, the "Second Edition" version of
> 98 is supposed to add some new features to 98.  One of them is
> peer-to-peer modem-sharing like WinGate, I would think, but I dont
> know all of the particulars since I havent played with "Second
> Edition" yet.  I would ask around first, to see if anyone could give
> you more specific info about its abilities and limitations.

> I saw it retailing for $79 U.S. for the upgrade version, and $179 U.S.
> for the "no previous version of Windows required" version.  I'm sure
> those were full list prices, and you could probably do better at the
> discounters.

-------------------------------

Win98SE contains the former NAT1000 from NEVOD.  It is now known as
"Internet connection sharing" (ICS) .  It lets you share your Internet
connection with the rest of your network.  You can either use 2 Ethernet
cards, or one Ethernet card and one modem ( modem being your connection to
the Internet)

pg

Post by Monty Scroggin » Thu, 24 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> >> Hi Guys,
> >>     I have a Win98 machine with a cable modem, internal. I want to be
> >> able to use linux thu the win98 machine. I have both computers on a
> >> 5-port hub, they both ping each other, however, how do i get to use
> >> Linux thru the 98 machine, now here is my wish.. I would like to use
> >> all the shell utilities, i know x-windows is the thing, but i want to
> >> be able to use the other stuff in the shell, like lynx, telnet, etc...
> >> is this possible??? Any help can and will be much appreciated..
> >> -Nick

If you are wishing to share a PPP connection from Win98 to a linux box,
check out sygate.   It is a proxylike program that will share your IP, the
difference between sygate and some of the others is that it is NAT based.
Therefore a proxy doesnt have to be configured on the remote machines.

Just a thought

Monty

1. HELP : need help on how to connect a win98 box to a linux machine

how do i make a client-sever connection frm win98(notebook) to linux(pc).
i have a nc, and a utp cat5 (cross cable) that's all.
The question here is do i really need a hub to do the job????
i think the cross cable should be fine.
and the next part is how do i configure linux to accept connection frm
win98

the thing i'm going to do here is, I want access apache web server
in my linux from the win box and also share files in between those 2 machine

any help would be great, thanks in advance

ckho

2. fix ips driver compile problems

3. HELP : need info on how to connect a win98 box to a linux machine

4. 2048 bytes/sector MODE SELECT? HELP!

5. connect a linux machine to the internet via internet connection sharing

6. Replies to the Group

7. how to connect a linux machine with a win98 machine?

8. Arcserve Agen for Linux

9. Connect via LAN vs. Connect via modem headache

10. Howto connect to Linux-Machines via Modem

11. Connecting 2 Linux machines with SLIP under a modem connexion ?

12. Need help to connect PC to IBM RS6000/370 via modem

13. HELP: Win98->Linux via null modem