Madge 16/4 Ringnode AT plus

Post by Ali » Sat, 09 Dec 2000 21:16:57

Has anyone managed to get the above card to work in Linux. I`m trying to
configure a firewall using www.freesco.com but I`m having difficulty
configuring it, in fact it may not be supported at all being ISA. I
downloaded a utility from the Madge website and managed to find out what the
irq`s and I/O were so as to enter data into the setup file but still not
working, any ideas ?

TIA

Ali

Madge 16/4 Ringnode AT plus

Post by Stefan Nesselhau » Sun, 10 Dec 2000 02:26:33

Quote:> Has anyone managed to get the above card to work in Linux. I`m trying to
> configure a firewall using www.freesco.com but I`m having difficulty
> configuring it, in fact it may not be supported at all being ISA. I
> downloaded a utility from the Madge website and managed to find out what
the
> irq`s and I/O were so as to enter data into the setup file but still not
> working, any ideas ?

Hi Ali,

Is the adapter supported by the madge software ?
Check this:
http://www.madge.com/software/tr_adap/linux/v231/readme.txt

Plz Notice, the driver can only be used as a module. You better first
check if the nic is running with an usual or self compiled kernel.
Apply the options to the modul loader (or to e.g. /etc/modules.conf in
SUSE).

At a customers' site we run several boxes with the
Smart 100/16/4 PCI-HS Ringnode at 100Mbps
Smart 16/4 PCI Ringnode Mk2 at 16 Mbps
IBM ISA Cards at 16 Mbps
and the latest 2.2.17 kernel.

Stefan Nesselhauf
SBIX [Small Business Internet eXchange]

Madge 16/4 Ringnode AT plus

Post by Ali » Sun, 10 Dec 2000 03:58:36

> > Has anyone managed to get the above card to work in Linux. I`m trying to
> > configure a firewall using www.freesco.com but I`m having difficulty
> > configuring it, in fact it may not be supported at all being ISA. I
> > downloaded a utility from the Madge website and managed to find out what
> the
> > irq`s and I/O were so as to enter data into the setup file but still not
> > working, any ideas ?

> Hi Ali,

> Is the adapter supported by the madge software ?
> Check this:
> http://www.madge.com/software/tr_adap/linux/v231/readme.txt

> Plz Notice, the driver can only be used as a module. You better first
> check if the nic is running with an usual or self compiled kernel.
> Apply the options to the modul loader (or to e.g. /etc/modules.conf in
> SUSE).

> At a customers' site we run several boxes with the
> Smart 100/16/4 PCI-HS Ringnode at 100Mbps
> Smart 16/4 PCI Ringnode Mk2 at 16 Mbps
> IBM ISA Cards at 16 Mbps
> and the latest 2.2.17 kernel.

> Stefan Nesselhauf
> SBIX [Small Business Internet eXchange]

> It doesn`t look like it is supported in Linux according to the website, I

have the PCI MK2 version in main PC and it is come up ok in windows and
Linux kernel 2.4.0-10 ( dual boot) and seems to test out ok using the
configuration program.The ISA one on the other hand does not pass the tests
although I can configure it but won`t do any tests, its sitting in a 486
compaq, i might just have to bite the bullit and buy a couple of cards
suitable for the task, since these were surplus to requirements.

Ali

---