Local Mail (using "mail") Does Not Get Delivered?

Local Mail (using "mail") Does Not Get Delivered?

Post by Eric Robinso » Wed, 13 Mar 2002 01:46:48



I type "mail <user>" and fill out the form with subject and body. The
system accepts the message without complaint, but the user never receives
it. When I login as the user and type "mail," it says, "No mail for
<user>."

What's up with this?

--Eric

 
 
 

Local Mail (using "mail") Does Not Get Delivered?

Post by Alexander Loeffelhol » Wed, 13 Mar 2002 01:54:49


check out /var/log/syslog or maillog for MTA errors
alex


Quote:> I type "mail <user>" and fill out the form with subject and body. The
> system accepts the message without complaint, but the user never receives
> it. When I login as the user and type "mail," it says, "No mail for
> <user>."

> What's up with this?

> --Eric


 
 
 

Local Mail (using "mail") Does Not Get Delivered?

Post by Eric Robinso » Wed, 13 Mar 2002 04:06:15




> check out /var/log/syslog or maillog for MTA errors
> alex



>> I type "mail <user>" and fill out the form with subject and body. The
>> system accepts the message without complaint, but the user never
>> receives it. When I login as the user and type "mail," it says, "No
>> mail for <user>."

>> What's up with this?

>> --Eric

I checked the logs. No error messages. It just says "stat=queued." It's
just being queued and not delivered.
 
 
 

Local Mail (using "mail") Does Not Get Delivered?

Post by Edgar Gies » Wed, 13 Mar 2002 06:53:23





>> check out /var/log/syslog or maillog for MTA errors
>> alex



>>> I type "mail <user>" and fill out the form with subject and body. The
>>> system accepts the message without complaint, but the user never
>>> receives it. When I login as the user and type "mail," it says, "No
>>> mail for <user>."

>>> What's up with this?

>>> --Eric

> I checked the logs. No error messages. It just says "stat=queued." It's
> just being queued and not delivered.

Type mailq
i think you will see all your mail. Than  type sendmail -q and sendmail
will deliver the mails. You have to config sendmail with expensive=no.

edgar

 
 
 

Local Mail (using "mail") Does Not Get Delivered?

Post by Junkie Monke » Wed, 13 Mar 2002 11:54:11


Or cron up sendmail -q to run every so often...





> >> check out /var/log/syslog or maillog for MTA errors
> >> alex



> >>> I type "mail <user>" and fill out the form with subject and body. The
> >>> system accepts the message without complaint, but the user never
> >>> receives it. When I login as the user and type "mail," it says, "No
> >>> mail for <user>."

> >>> What's up with this?

> >>> --Eric

> > I checked the logs. No error messages. It just says "stat=queued." It's
> > just being queued and not delivered.

> Type mailq
> i think you will see all your mail. Than  type sendmail -q and sendmail
> will deliver the mails. You have to config sendmail with expensive=no.

> edgar

 
 
 

Local Mail (using "mail") Does Not Get Delivered?

Post by Eric Robinso » Wed, 13 Mar 2002 11:55:41




Quote:> Type mailq
> i think you will see all your mail. Than  type sendmail -q and sendmail
> will deliver the mails. You have to config sendmail with expensive=no.

> edgar

I tried mailq. It shows entries for all of my test messages. They all say
"alias database unavailable."

That sounds like it must be the problem. Now I just need to figure out what
it is talking about. Is it /etc/mail/aliases?

--Eric

 
 
 

Local Mail (using "mail") Does Not Get Delivered?

Post by Edgar Gies » Mon, 18 Mar 2002 03:32:44


Quote:>> Type mailq
>> i think you will see all your mail. Than  type sendmail -q and sendmail
>> will deliver the mails. You have to config sendmail with expensive=no.

>> edgar

> I tried mailq. It shows entries for all of my test messages. They all say
> "alias database unavailable."

> That sounds like it must be the problem. Now I just need to figure out
> what it is talking about. Is it /etc/mail/aliases?

> --Eric

Ok,
do you have an link fromt /etc/mail/aliases to /etc/aliases?

After changing something in /etc/aliases you have do run newaliases.
I think you have do rebuild the *.db in /etc/mail. BTW, we are talking
about Suse-Linux? Then you can use 'make' on the /etc/mail directory. It
runs with the Makefile in /etc/mail and rebuild the *.db.

hope it runs

edgar

 
 
 

1. Mail delivered by sender gets "failure to deliver"

Hope this is a good place to ask, cause I don't know where
else.  :)  Here is my best take on the problem, so far:

The secretary for my office sends out general information via
e-mail from her Macintosh using Microsoft Mail.  The mail
is sent on to the SMTP recipients via a product called MailHub.

Problem is, the secretary is getting failure to deliver
messages back (even though the mail is delivered) from
any user that has a .forward file in their home directory.

The problem seems to be that the distribution list is
rather large (about 5000 characters) and something is
breaking up the To: list at about 2500 characters, causing
syntactic errors (unbalanced parenthesis, unbalanced < & >,
etc.) because the To: list has been truncated in the middle
of one of the addresses.

Does this sound familiar? What component of our system is
at fault? Is there a fix?

Using SunOS 4.1.3.

I would appreciate cc: via e-mail, since my news server seems
to be on a 2 day delay right now.

Thanks for all help.

Glenn
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Glenn Hoffman                                          Engineering Systems

8*252-5770  (315-793-5770)                                       Utica, NY

2. Help setting up virtual ClassC network on a single machine

3. problems piping from "split" to "mail" (split | mail)

4. Big file support

5. Sendmail: mails rejected with "550-unrouteable mail domain "blade150.lafr.de""

6. How-to use an ACECAT II digitizer tablet in linux ???

7. Type "(", ")" and "{", "}" in X...

8. How to recover the deleted file in Solaris?

9. Error 'Shared object "libssl.so.3" not found' when using mail

10. GETSERVBYNAME()????????????????????"""""""""""""

11. ksh: How to log *all* commands (not using "script") ?

12. "mail" program - necessary to run mail server myself to e-mail to Internet?

13. "korn" mail checker: suddenly stopped seeing new mail?