6to4 router vs 6to4 relay router

Post by lancer6.. » Wed, 24 Dec 2008 16:15:37

Hi,

I'm a bit confused about the difference between a 6to4 router and a
6to4 relay router.

I understand that a 6to4 routers are used between 6to4 sites, while
6to4 relay routers are used between native IPv6 sites and 6to4 sites.
However, what exactly is a 6to4 site and a native IPv6 site? Don't
both type of routers forward IPv6 packets over IPv4 networks, which
means both routers work in a IPv6 network? Or does the difference only
lies in the IP addresses used, i.e. 6to4 routers accept only 6to4
source and destination addresses (2002::/16 prefixes) and 6to4 relay
routers accept only 6to4 source/native IPv6 dest (2001::/16 prefixes)
addresses and native IPv6 source/6to4 dest addresses? If that's the
case, why have the distinction? Why not just use 6to4 routers?

Also, looking at the diagram in
http://www.ipv6tf.org/index.php?page=using/connectivity/6to4
what is a IPv6 island? Is it a private IPv6 network setup by say,
organizations and schools?

Thank you.

Regards,
Rayne

Post by Mrichael John Ruf » Wed, 24 Dec 2008 17:52:26

> Hi,

> I'm a bit confused about the difference between a 6to4 router and a
> 6to4 relay router.

> I understand that a 6to4 routers are used between 6to4 sites, while
> 6to4 relay routers are used between native IPv6 sites and 6to4 sites.
> However, what exactly is a 6to4 site and a native IPv6 site? Don't
> both type of routers forward IPv6 packets over IPv4 networks, which
> means both routers work in a IPv6 network? Or does the difference only
> lies in the IP addresses used, i.e. 6to4 routers accept only 6to4
> source and destination addresses (2002::/16 prefixes) and 6to4 relay
> routers accept only 6to4 source/native IPv6 dest (2001::/16 prefixes)
> addresses and native IPv6 source/6to4 dest addresses? If that's the
> case, why have the distinction? Why not just use 6to4 routers?

> Also, looking at the diagram in
> http://www.ipv6tf.org/index.php?page=using/connectivity/6to4
> what is a IPv6 island? Is it a private IPv6 network setup by say,
> organizations and schools?

> Thank you.

> Regards,
> Rayne

Hi Rayne

Islands / Clouds are Private networks not directly attached to the
internet i.e. the network inside of a company for example.

 From some research there is not so much difference between the two
types of routers, relay routers take the full IPv6 address and route
that across the Internet or IPv4 network, where as routers will only
deal with the /16 addresses.

An IPv6 to 4 network is where all machines on that network follow 6to4
rules and cannot have addresses outside of /16.

Regards Mike

6to4 router vs 6to4 relay router

Post by lancer6.. » Fri, 26 Dec 2008 14:10:00

So why set up a 6to4 site over a native IPv6 site? Do I get the 6to4
2002::/16 prefix because my ISP doesn't support IPv6 yet and so I'm
unable to get a 2001::/16 prefix (which I understand would make my
site part of a native IPv6 site). So the only way I can communicate
with other IPv6 sites is using the 6to4 scheme over the IPv4 network.

Post by Allen Kistle » Fri, 02 Jan 2009 20:06:05

> I'm a bit confused about the difference between a 6to4 router and a
> 6to4 relay router.

> I understand that a 6to4 routers are used between 6to4 sites, while
> 6to4 relay routers are used between native IPv6 sites and 6to4 sites.
> However, what exactly is a 6to4 site and a native IPv6 site? Don't
> both type of routers forward IPv6 packets over IPv4 networks, which
> means both routers work in a IPv6 network? Or does the difference only
> lies in the IP addresses used, i.e. 6to4 routers accept only 6to4
> source and destination addresses (2002::/16 prefixes) and 6to4 relay
> routers accept only 6to4 source/native IPv6 dest (2001::/16 prefixes)
> addresses and native IPv6 source/6to4 dest addresses? If that's the
> case, why have the distinction? Why not just use 6to4 routers?

> Also, looking at the diagram in
> http://www.ipv6tf.org/index.php?page=using/connectivity/6to4
> what is a IPv6 island? Is it a private IPv6 network setup by say,
> organizations and schools?

An IPv6 "island" is an IPv6 network adrift in an IPv4 "sea."  To talk to
other "islands" or the IPv6 Internet, somehow IPv6 traffic needs to be
tunneled through the IPv4 network.  6to4 is one of those ways to tunnel.

BTW, all of 2000::/3 is the global unicast range, not just 2001::/16.
For example, www.ipv6tf.org you mention has IPv6 address
2a01:48:1:0:2e0:81ff:fe05:4658.  (Although it doesn't seem to answer.
Maybe someone fat-fingered the DNS entry?)

A 6to4 router encapsulates/decapsulates IPv6-in-IPv4 traffic between an
IPv6 site (without IPv6 native connectivity) and the IPv4 Internet for
transport to/from another IPv6 router (hence another IPv6 site without
native connectivity) or, more likely, an IPv6 relay router (for
transport to native IPv6 sites).  The IPv4 side has a public IP address
from the site's assigned IPv4 range.

An organization could also use 6to4 routers to interconnect IPv6 islands
within its intranet with no concern for connectivity to other
organizations or the IPv6 Internet.

An IPv6 relay router encapsulates/decapsulates IPv6-in-IPv4 traffic
between the IPv6 Internet and the IPv4 Internet.  The IPv4 side has the
anycast address 192.88.99.1 (but theoretically any address in
192.88.99.0/24), and the IPv6 side advertises routes to 2002::/16 (i.e.,
6to4 routers on the IPv4 Internet).

1. Linux/Win2K Server As A Router vs. Linksys Router (BEFSR41)

Hi,

I have a cable modem connection with a single semi dynamic
public IP address.  Currently, I have installed a Linksys router
(BEFSR41) between the cable modem and my intranet LAN to share
my Linux machine as well as several windows machines.  I am
thinking to replace this Linksys Router with a home made Win2K
server or Linux running on either a winchip 200MHz or an AMD
K6-2 400MHz CPU (prefer to use a winchip 200MHz CPU from IOpener
and put the 400MHz CPU to the IOpener).  Frankly speaking, I am
opted to use Linux over Win2K as a router.  However, being
limited to only a single public IP address, I am force to
thinking of using Win2K instead of Linux as my router mainly
because I can attach several USB devices, i.e. VoIPBlaster,
ActionTec VoIP devices, etc.  to the router to use them.  As
with Linux, the VoIPBlaster driver found on the SourceForge
site, (http://sourceforge.net/projects/voip-blaster), is still
to early to use.

I am very confused to face this dilemma and am hoping you all
will be able to help me out.  TIA.

2. Internet connection (hotjava browser)

3. linux router Vs Linksys Router

4. using uugetty for modem answering

5. Linux router vs Netopia router on DSL

6. Gtk-WARNING Impossible to find image file

7. DSL/Cable Router vs "Ordinary Router"

8. Real Magic MPEG card

9. Q: router vs. router

10. 6to4 tunneling

11. 6to4 Questions

12. Strange ipv6 6to4 experience

13. Can I setup IPv6 6to4 tunnel on Solaris 8?