Win98 can pin linux, linux can't see Win98

Win98 can pin linux, linux can't see Win98

Post by Jon J. Mori » Sun, 25 Mar 2001 11:02:37

I apologize if this is a cross post or repost.  I can't seem to get some of
these posts to go through.  Anyway, I have a small LAN with a Win98 machine
and a SuSE 7.1 linux machine connected by a D-Link hub.  I have a cable
modem that plugs directly into a DEC ethernet card (integrated) in the
Windows machine.  Also in the Windows machine I have a 3c509 that I have set
with a static IP that plugs into the hub to talk with the Linux machine.
Now the Windows machine can ping the Linux box, and I can even ssh into the
Linux box (Telnet won't work for some reason, must be SuSE).  The linux box
can't see the the Windows box in any way shape or form.  The card in the
Linux box is a 3c509 and I am quite sure that I have it configured
correctly.  Does anyone have any clue as to what might be going on?  I
appreciate any help that can be provided.

Jon J. Morin

Win98 can pin linux, linux can't see Win98

Post by Michael Naughto » Sun, 25 Mar 2001 11:49:14

Try Samba or NFS.

Quote:> I apologize if this is a cross post or repost.  I can't seem to get some
of
> these posts to go through.  Anyway, I have a small LAN with a Win98
machine
> and a SuSE 7.1 linux machine connected by a D-Link hub.  I have a cable
> modem that plugs directly into a DEC ethernet card (integrated) in the
> Windows machine.  Also in the Windows machine I have a 3c509 that I have
set
> with a static IP that plugs into the hub to talk with the Linux machine.
> Now the Windows machine can ping the Linux box, and I can even ssh into
the
> Linux box (Telnet won't work for some reason, must be SuSE).  The linux
box
> can't see the the Windows box in any way shape or form.  The card in the
> Linux box is a 3c509 and I am quite sure that I have it configured
> correctly.  Does anyone have any clue as to what might be going on?  I
> appreciate any help that can be provided.

> Jon J. Morin

Win98 can pin linux, linux can't see Win98

Post by shon ke » Sun, 25 Mar 2001 14:42:08

Better still try sharing your windows files!

Quote:> Try Samba or NFS.

1. Win98 can ping Linux, but Linux can't ping Win98 box

I'm having a strange problem.  I have a small LAN set up with a Win98 box
and a SuSE 7.1 box set up connected through a D-Link hub.  I have a cable
modem that goes straight to a DEC ethernet card in the Win98 box.  I have a
second ethernet card, a 3c509 in the Windows box that goes straight to the
hub.  Now I can ping my linux box, I can ssh into it (I can't telnet for
some reason, must be SuSE).  The linux box can't even ping the Win98 box.
The card in the Linux box is a 3c509b.  I'm pretty sure it's properly
configured.  Can someone give me a hint here, please.  Thanks a lot.

Jon J. Morin

2. Going from 1.0.9 to 1.1.xx problems.

3. Linux, Win98, and DHCP--Win98 can't see outside world, Linux can

4. Any experience with Tyan Tomcat I and Linux?

5. Linux and Win98 in LAN, Win98 boxes can't see each other

6. looking for a web-based FTP utility

7. Slow Network Linux->Win98=Slow Win98->Linux=Fast

8. Request for any sendmail bugs... even if old.

9. Linux & Win98 : problem with win98 on the linux HD

10. It's not bad canned meat...

11. SOLUTION: Linux & Win98 ping each other (PnP issues on Win98)

12. Newbie Dual boot Linux & Win98, forgot to include Win98