VPN and IP masquerade

Post by S. Mazzo » Fri, 21 Dec 2001 03:50:45

My employer uses the Cisco VPN client to allow connections to the
company network at home.   Luckily there is a linux client available.
However, I am having a problem when I connect to the company server
from my linux machine.

My computer also acts as a router for my local network using ip
masquerading (to share the cable modem with the wife).

My problem: Whenever I connect with the VPN client, my wife's computer
can no longer connect to the rest of the internet.  Is there a way to
isolate the VPN traffic between my computer and my employer's while
still letting my wife's computer access the internet?

S. Mazzola

VPN and IP masquerade

Post by Sri Sairam Gol » Fri, 21 Dec 2001 07:29:36

> My employer uses the Cisco VPN client to allow connections to the
> company network at home.   Luckily there is a linux client available.
> However, I am having a problem when I connect to the company server
> from my linux machine.

> My computer also acts as a router for my local network using ip
> masquerading (to share the cable modem with the wife).

> My problem: Whenever I connect with the VPN client, my wife's computer
> can no longer connect to the rest of the internet.  Is there a way to
> isolate the VPN traffic between my computer and my employer's while
> still letting my wife's computer access the internet?

I guess your VPN client  is blocking the outside internet access while
you connect
to your office network.

Most of the VPN clients do that, otherwise if someone cracks into your
home network
he will get access to your office network also. To solve this security
loophole your VPN
client will block your internet connetion while you are connected to
office.

goli

> S. Mazzola

VPN and IP masquerade

Post by S. Mazzo » Fri, 21 Dec 2001 22:41:01

> > My employer uses the Cisco VPN client to allow connections to the
> > company network at home.   Luckily there is a linux client available.
> > However, I am having a problem when I connect to the company server
> > from my linux machine.

> > My computer also acts as a router for my local network using ip
> > masquerading (to share the cable modem with the wife).

> > My problem: Whenever I connect with the VPN client, my wife's computer
> > can no longer connect to the rest of the internet.  Is there a way to
> > isolate the VPN traffic between my computer and my employer's while
> > still letting my wife's computer access the internet?

> I guess your VPN client  is blocking the outside internet access while
> you connect
> to your office network.

> Most of the VPN clients do that, otherwise if someone cracks into your
> home network
> he will get access to your office network also. To solve this security
> loophole your VPN
> client will block your internet connetion while you are connected to
> office.

> goli

> > S. Mazzola

The cisco VPN client software is distributed as source code for linux.
 It creates a module specific to the kernel version.  Is there some
system call I should look for in the code to track down a way around
this?

S. Mazzola

1. IP for masqueraded net other than masquerading host IP

Hello

I have a linux box which should work as router for two subnets to the internet.
One subnet has valid IP addresses but the other subnet with private IPs has to be masqueraded. Is it possible to masquerade this subnet with an IP address from the other subnet or with the IP of the router port which is connected to the valid subnet and not with the IP address of the router port which is connected to the internet which is the default?

regards
Klaus

2. Serious Problem with PCI-PMCIA Wireless Card

3. Linux IP and VPN masquerading with 2.6.x kernels

4. pic prosessor?

5. VPN through Linux IP-Masquerade

6. Linux equivalent software

7. IP masquerading and VPN with checkpoint SecuRemote

8. win NT4.0 & linux help...

9. Masquerading PPTP to Private-IP VPN Server

10. ip masquerading and vpn

11. Using MS VPN Clients Behind IP Masquerade

12. Microsoft VPN and ip-masquerade?

13. VPN over IP masquerading