Buggy 3C574, or buggy administrator?

Post by Wemble » Sat, 01 May 1999 04:00:00

It's my understanding that the 3Com 3C574 PC Card driver for Linux is buggy.
Yep, says so right there in SUPPORTED.CARDS.  I got this far, though, and I
don't know if I'm missing something, or if I'm experiencing the effects of
said buggy driver.

High-pitched beeps on boot (no low tones) seem to indicate that the 574 and
my Megahertz modem are both fine (modem works fine, btw, including PPP).
NIC gives link light, /bin/dmesg contains references to it.    ifconfig eth0
returns the following:

Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr (blah blah)
inet addr:192.168.1.3  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  METRIC:1

Rx/Tx packets/errors/dropped/overruns/fram/carrier and collisions all 0.

Interrupt:9, Base address:0x300, standard for this card and as far as I can
tell, not conflicting with anything on my Toshiba 430CDT.

Symptom:  It can ping itself successfully, whatever I call it (its NetBIOS
name, its IP address, or "localhost".)  Ping hangs when I try to reach any
address other than its own, however.  Just hangs, no output until I  ^C.
Doesn't see any computer other than itself (self-absorbed, this one).

Is there something obvious that I've missed?  Ping (and everything else)
works fine over PPP, btw.

Complete specs: Tosh 430CDT, PCMCIA 3.0.9, kernel 2.0.36, no sound config'd,
no external devices except the modem and 574.  Excluded IRQs 0-8 in
config.opts just to be safe (this thing is generally assigned IRQ 9 by
Windows, and works fine in W95/98).

Peace -w

Buggy 3C574, or buggy administrator?

Post by - » Sat, 01 May 1999 04:00:00

Hi there,

i'm experiencing the same problem. Card looks fine but when i try to ping
another PC
on the subnet, ping hangs and i get no response.

Maybe there's someon out there who can help is with this problem?

Robert

Quote:>It's my understanding that the 3Com 3C574 PC Card driver for Linux is
buggy.
>Yep, says so right there in SUPPORTED.CARDS.  I got this far, though, and I
>don't know if I'm missing something, or if I'm experiencing the effects of
>said buggy driver.

>High-pitched beeps on boot (no low tones) seem to indicate that the 574 and
>my Megahertz modem are both fine (modem works fine, btw, including PPP).
>NIC gives link light, /bin/dmesg contains references to it.    ifconfig
eth0
>returns the following:

>Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr (blah blah)
>inet addr:192.168.1.3  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
>UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  METRIC:1

>Rx/Tx packets/errors/dropped/overruns/fram/carrier and collisions all 0.

>Interrupt:9, Base address:0x300, standard for this card and as far as I can
>tell, not conflicting with anything on my Toshiba 430CDT.

>Symptom:  It can ping itself successfully, whatever I call it (its NetBIOS
>name, its IP address, or "localhost".)  Ping hangs when I try to reach any
>address other than its own, however.  Just hangs, no output until I  ^C.
>Doesn't see any computer other than itself (self-absorbed, this one).

>Is there something obvious that I've missed?  Ping (and everything else)
>works fine over PPP, btw.

>Complete specs: Tosh 430CDT, PCMCIA 3.0.9, kernel 2.0.36, no sound
config'd,
>no external devices except the modem and 574.  Excluded IRQs 0-8 in
>config.opts just to be safe (this thing is generally assigned IRQ 9 by
>Windows, and works fine in W95/98).

>Peace -w

1. MS Office 2000 is buggy, buggy, buggy

My day today with MS Office 2000:

I'm a programmer and was asked to prepare documentations and a presentation,
something no programmer really likes. Well, I swore and thought, lets just
slap something together quickly with Word and Powerpoint... I was mistaken.

The g**m Word crashed on me five times. Each time, after restarting Word
again, I could not open the file I was working on previously. Word
complained: "File locked by <me>".

After a while, I found out that I actually have to

1) kill the (window-less) process WINWORD.EXE and
2) delete all hidden files starting with '~'

before I could go on and open the file again. Being a programmer, I wrote
myself a tool to do this automatically.

"Ease of use"? Yeah right, I can just see all the secretaries just opening
the taskmanager and killing processes...

Poor, poor, poor quality. Amazing what they get away with.

More issues:
- The graphical component (vector graphics) inside MS Word and Powerpoint is
a Joke. No, really. The behaviour is often illogical and unpredictable. It
also caused two of my five crashes. Scaling groups of objects does not work
properly. And so on. Pure pain - I wish I had Visio installed or some other
*professional* Graphics tool.
- Importing data from Word to powerpoint is error prone, to say the least.
Tables get scr*ed up.

As a bottomline, this will be the last presentation I prepared using MS
Office.

2. Help: IDE driver and IDE CD-ROM

3. ide: buggy CMD640 interface: init_cmd640: huh?

4. mail server and iptables

5. buggy XCopyArea ???????????

6. SIGCHLD and select()

7. netscape remote example is buggy (solaris)

8. make doRELEASE

9. fdisk buggy?

10. Syslogd - buggy?

11. Buggy RZ1000 Interface Question

12. startx and xinit scripts are buggy under XFree 3.1?

13. Buggy mutexes in 2.3?