TRAFFIC MONITORING

Post by Federico Facc » Sun, 15 Oct 2000 04:00:00

How can I monitor all net traffic passing through my Linux Server and save
it to a file?

TRAFFIC MONITORING

Post by Torsten Cur » Sun, 15 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>How can I monitor all net traffic passing through my Linux Server and save
>it to a file?

netaccd is the one we use
using the stats from ipchains/iptables
is a possible sollution as well
--
Torsten

TRAFFIC MONITORING

Post by Federico Facc » Sun, 15 Oct 2000 04:00:00

And with this sw i can I also discover who is trying to access my pc, right?

> >How can I monitor all net traffic passing through my Linux Server and
save
> >it to a file?

> netaccd is the one we use
> using the stats from ipchains/iptables
> is a possible sollution as well
> --
> Torsten

TRAFFIC MONITORING

Post by Les Mikesel » Sun, 15 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> And with this sw i can I also discover who is trying to access my pc,

right?

Real-time network monitoring has to deal with a massive amount of data.
One of the nicest utilities to get different summaries is 'ntop' - included
on the Redhat 7.0 powertools disk.  It has a web interface running on
port 3000 to view the queries - and it provides a 'recent connections' list
for each machine among many other things.

  Les Mikesell

TRAFFIC MONITORING

Post by Steven J. Hathawa » Sun, 15 Oct 2000 04:00:00

> How can I monitor all net traffic passing through my Linux Server and save
> it to a file?

I have used combinations of the following programs for specific reasons at
various times.
A log of all traffic can possibly fill disk space quickly.

1.  The "tcpdump" program to selectively log data packets

2.  The loging capability of "ipchains" to log all information of interest

3.  The "netwatch" program to summarize dynamic activity

There are also others that I have heard of but not used.

Steven Hathaway

TRAFFIC MONITORING

Post by Torsten Cur » Tue, 17 Oct 2000 04:00:00

>> And with this sw i can I also discover who is trying to access my pc,
>right?

>Real-time network monitoring has to deal with a massive amount of data.
>One of the nicest utilities to get different summaries is 'ntop' -
>included on the Redhat 7.0 powertools disk.  It has a web interface
>running on port 3000 to view the queries - and it provides a 'recent
>connections' list for each machine among many other things.

We used ntop as well. It's very nice. But unfortunately it does
not save the data. So when you restart - all counting is gone!
--
Torsten

TRAFFIC MONITORING

Post by Les Mikesel » Wed, 18 Oct 2000 11:27:43

> >> And with this sw i can I also discover who is trying to access my pc,
> >right?

> >Real-time network monitoring has to deal with a massive amount of data.
> >One of the nicest utilities to get different summaries is 'ntop' -
> >included on the Redhat 7.0 powertools disk.  It has a web interface
> >running on port 3000 to view the queries - and it provides a 'recent
> >connections' list for each machine among many other things.

> We used ntop as well. It's very nice. But unfortunately it does
> not save the data. So when you restart - all counting is gone!

This version has a couple of logging options.  I haven't used them
but it looks like one is to use dbm files to store the numbers across
restarts and another is to periodically log the summaries in
text files.

   Les Mikesell

1. Emacs19 crashes OpenWindows? Network traffic monitor?

Sorry if this is a common question, but every time I've tried running
emacs-19 on my Solaris 2.3 machine, it has crashed my OpenWindows Xserver.
It also happened on other machines here, but none have any patches applied.
The core file shows that it's in some font code in the server.  Does anyone
know if there is a patch?  For now, I just run 'emacs -nw' in an xterm,
but I want to play with the fonts and color...

Also, on SunOS 4.x, I used to run /usr/bin/traffic, which was a suntools
program that visually displayed network traffic (more digestable than snoop).
Are there any PD workalike programs?

Thanks for any tips,
        Mark Hastings

2. Ping hang Linux

3. network traffic monitoring without kstat

4. Smallest SBC for NAS box?

5. detailed traffic-monitoring

6. FTP and Compression

7. IP traffic monitoring for Alias interfaces

8. /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.3 error

9. Traffic monitoring on SLIP?

10. Traffic monitoring

11. IP Traffic Monitoring / Logging for later analysis

12. Traffic monitoring tool.