ppp redhat 5.1: not replacing default route eth0: MEANING ???

ppp redhat 5.1: not replacing default route eth0: MEANING ???

Post by Eric F. Boddi » Tue, 13 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

Have a question and was wondering if anyone could help. I can connect to
my isp and the login
goes fine. I can ping the my ISP, but when I try to run netscape the
browser hangs. the only error
message that I think I see is the message in the debug part of the tail
-v -f /logs/messages section
that states:

Not replacing default route to eth0 [192.99.141.254]

I assume this is my problem, but dont really know it means . Any help
would be appreciated.
TIA

Eric

ppp redhat 5.1: not replacing default route eth0: MEANING ???

Post by Clifford Ki » Tue, 13 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Even with the defaultroute option pppd will not replace an existing
default route.  You apparently have a default route set up to eth0
192.99.141.254.  An easy way to get the active default route to go
through the ppp0 interface when it is up is to add the line
"/sbin/route add default ppp0" to the file /etc/ppp/ip-up.  The other
default route becomes active again when the ppp connection is taken
down.

Another way is to remove the eth0 default route if you don't need it,
which is likely.  A specific network route will do just fine for a
single internal LAN.

--
Clifford Kite                                              Not a guru. (tm)

Post by Kalevi Hautanie » Wed, 14 Oct 1998 04:00:00

: Hi,

: Have a question and was wondering if anyone could help. I can connect to
: my isp and the login
: goes fine. I can ping the my ISP, but when I try to run netscape the
: browser hangs. the only error
: message that I think I see is the message in the debug part of the tail
: -v -f /logs/messages section
: that states:

: Not replacing default route to eth0 [192.99.141.254]

: I assume this is my problem, but dont really know it means . Any help
: would be appreciated.
: TIA

It really seems to be so. What that message really means is you have a
default gateway defined when invoking PPP -link. Even if you have
specified 'defaultroute' in your options, pppd does not replace existing
default route. Solution to this is to not having a default route when pppd
comes up. You can do it simply adding into a script you're using to invoke
ppp, a line like this:

route del default

But remember, if you really need a default gateway in your LAN, there's no
other solution to restore it but write into some script, used to pull down
your PPP link, a line like this:

route add default eth0

Kalevi

--
Kalevi J Hautaniemi,      Marjatankatu 12,     33730 Tampere,  FINLAND.
****  http://oh3tr.ele.tut.fi/~oh3fg/ ****  On air:  OH3FG, KO4BC  ****

ppp redhat 5.1: not replacing default route eth0: MEANING ???

Post by Eric D Warma » Wed, 14 Oct 1998 04:00:00

At least you can ping your ISP! I can't help you but can you help me?  How
does the dial up adapter (modem) dev know to use a dynamic IP?  I can't
figure out how to set that!

Any help is appreciated
-Eric

Post by Eric F. Boddi » Wed, 14 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> Even with the defaultroute option pppd will not replace an existing
> default route.  You apparently have a default route set up to eth0
> 192.99.141.254.  An easy way to get the active default route to go
> through the ppp0 interface when it is up is to add the line
> "/sbin/route add default ppp0" to the file /etc/ppp/ip-up.  The other
> default route becomes active again when the ppp connection is taken
> down.

> Another way is to remove the eth0 default route if you don't need it,
> which is likely.  A specific network route will do just fine for a
> single internal LAN.

> : Hi,

> : Have a question and was wondering if anyone could help. I can connect to
> : my isp and the login
> : goes fine. I can ping the my ISP, but when I try to run netscape the
> : browser hangs. the only error
> : message that I think I see is the message in the debug part of the tail
> : -v -f /logs/messages section
> : that states:

> : Not replacing default route to eth0 [192.99.141.254]

> --
> Clifford Kite                                              Not a guru. (tm)

Thanks Clifford,

This solved my problem and is much appreciated. Long live the Linux community.

ppp redhat 5.1: not replacing default route eth0: MEANING ???

Post by Anatolij Vasilcenk » Tue, 20 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Try to set the noipdefault option in pppd command, you can also add the line
noipdefault
into /etc/ppp/options file. I hope it helps.

Anatolij

1. PPP not replacing existing default route to eth0[0.0.0.0]

        Hi there...  We've been having more than our share friggin' problems
with getting a PPP connection going...  As has everyone else (it
seems).  Here is our situation:

        Linux 1.3.32, pppd 2.2
        2 P-90's on a local ethernet.
        1 Mean Netcom account.
        Modems-a-plenty.
        A burning desire to get rid of Windows 95 <G>.
        Really good coffee.

        ...so, as you can see, we're not completely badly off...  Moreover, we
DO get the modem to dial, we DO get the login to happen, and
everything, to a point.  In fact, it actually seems like the ppp
connection is working.  The real pain is that we get this message when
we have the pppd launch in full fledged "I'll post every message I get
to the root user on tty0" (debug and verbose modes both on) and that
message is, effectively, this:

        ppp not replacing existing default route to eth0[0.0.0.0]

        We have no idea why.  Linux doesn't even seem to think this is an
error.  If we don't have debug and verbose modes on, this is not
reported.  Further, our local network is alive and kicking, we can
rlogin, ftp, ping each other silly (and cross platform too!  Win95 can
ping/ftp/telnet to Linux, and, with the proper servers, Linux can do
the same to Win95).  When the pppd is running we can ping each other
on our LAN, and our Netcom host (over the InterNet).  We just can't
seem to get to anything else on the InterNet.  When we try to ftp
somewhere it never even sends data out over the modem...

        Can you help?  Please E-Mail us!  Thank you gentleman/ladies...

-Jeff & Mike

        PS:  Netscape 2.0B, at this point, also says we need to set the
$SOCKS_NS environment variable ???

        PPS:  Mike just informed me if we take support for the ethernet card
out of rc.inet1 we can do ftp's and some things but no Netscape.  Just
that "unable to do the DNS message."

      We Reject:  Kings, Presidents, and Voting
  We believe in:  Rough Consensus and Running Code

                             ...Dr. David Clark, MIT

2. Kernel 2.2.X and SoundBlaster AWE64 PnP

3. not replacing existing default route to eth0

4. PPP fixes for 2.4.18-pre8

5. PPP not replacing default route to sl0[0.0.0.0]

6. Helixcode and FREE space!

7. PPP not replacing default route

8. POST Error 1724 with Compaq Prosignia 500

9. ppp problem: "not replacing existing default route ..."

10. ppp not replacing exist. default route

11. diald problem - ppp not replacing existing default route

12. PPP not replacing default route

13. Is RedHat 5.1's kernel configured for PPP by default?