Setting the Return-Path email field

Post by David Edwar » Thu, 17 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Can someone tell me if there is an easy way to set the
Return-Path field from my local network domain to my

I'm using Elm with BSD sendmail 8.7.5 (I'd like to
anyway) on a Linux box with the 2.0.30 kernel.

I pretty sure this is modification to the sendmail
config and not Elm.  Is there an rc file which allows
the default Return-Path to be set to an arbitrary
address or would the sendmail config file need
modifying?

Any help or pointers anyone can give is much
appreciated!

Thank you,
   David

Post by James Youngma » Thu, 17 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> Can someone tell me if there is an easy way to set the
> Return-Path field from my local network domain to my

this header should not be set except by the agent doing final
delivery, I think.  Try asking in comp.mail.sendmail.

Post by Art S. Kage » Thu, 17 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> Can someone tell me if there is an easy way to set the
> Return-Path field from my local network domain to my

> I'm using Elm with BSD sendmail 8.7.5 (I'd like to
> anyway) on a Linux box with the 2.0.30 kernel.

> I pretty sure this is modification to the sendmail
> config and not Elm.  Is there an rc file which allows
> the default Return-Path to be set to an arbitrary
> address or would the sendmail config file need
> modifying?

IMHO elm lets you set a Reply-To: default in its configuration file.
All outgoing messages will include the Reply-To: which overrides the
default reply-address = from-address behavior.

Art S. Kagel

Setting the Return-Path email field

Post by Christopher Roger » Sat, 19 Jul 1997 04:00:00

this is from an earlier post, happened to cut it out for myself, no
promise of accuracy:

in the file /etc/sendmail.cf (configuration file for sendmail, the God
Deamon of Email), fine a line that reads something like

DM

and change it to

DMyourisp.com

good luck
-chris

 > > Can someone tell me if there is an easy way to set the
 > > Return-Path field from my local network domain to my

 > > I'm using Elm with BSD sendmail 8.7.5 (I'd like to
 > > anyway) on a Linux box with the 2.0.30 kernel.
 > >
 > > I pretty sure this is modification to the sendmail
 > > config and not Elm.  Is there an rc file which allows
 > > the default Return-Path to be set to an arbitrary
 > > address or would the sendmail config file need
 > > modifying?

 > IMHO elm lets you set a Reply-To: default in its configuration file.
 > All outgoing messages will include the Reply-To: which overrides the
 > default reply-address = from-address behavior.

 > Art S. Kagel

1. Return-Path field in Email includes only local address!!!

Hello All,

Emails from one of my workstations, solaris 2.6 in this case, goes
without a full address in Return field. In other words, only the local
machine name is included in the return field. My main mail server is
another machin and I do not have the same problem with that. I do not
have any problem with the rest of the workstations either. Does anybody
have any idea about what it could be? If so would he/she mind sending me
a reply. I will highly appreciate it.

Regards,
Abbas
------------------------

 http://ikorn.ee.unsw.edu.au/~abbas
I haven't seen as far as others, for the giants have seen it all.

2. How to read CD-Rom?

3. How to set from/return-path in Sendmail headers?

4. Lilo problems

5. Return field of Email includes only local machine name!??

6. Top 10 posters for the 7 day period ending 2001-11-11.

7. e-mail return paths, mmdf?

8. SCSI vs IDE?

9. Email Return Path

10. set path = "$path" hoses path in tcsh -- why???

11. Web apps using apache show as return-path nobody/localhost-need real domain

12. Sendmail Return-Path problem

13. HELP!!: Sendmail Cannot change Return-Path in Header