segmentation violation

Post by Robert A. Bo » Fri, 23 Mar 2001 16:47:51

Within the past few days, I'm getting really strange things happening.
I'm sitting here in front of the screen, everything seems normal, and
all of a sudden the X server exits, dumps me back to the (text)
console, and starts giving me errors like this:

  init: PANIC: segmentation violation at 0x10202! sleeping for 30 seconds.
  init: PANIC: segmentation violation at 0xfffffff7! sleeping for 30 seconds.

These errors always seem to come in pairs.  And, nothing seems to
actually stop for 30 seconds...

I figure (having used Windows for too long :-(  ) that if I reboot,
everything will be fine, but after one of these errors, the shutdown
command doesn't work!  I type "shutdown -r now" or "shutdown -h now" I
get the "broadcast message" saying "system going down NOW!" but
nothing actually happens.  I press enter, and get another shell
prompt.  Ctrl-Alt-Del doesn't work, either.  It doesn't matter if I
type this as root or with my regular userid (which is authorized to
run shutdown).

So, I have no choice (that I know of) other than a hard reboot --
which of course causes fsck to run, which, for the first time since
I've been using Linux regularly (about 1.5 years) actually shows
errors.  The lost clusters always turn out to be fragments of
/etc/dhcpd.leases ....

My setup:
Red Hat 6.0 (kernel 2.2.5-15) on a Pentium II/350.
Cable modem on eth0 (as a DHCP client, using pump)
Another computer via crossover cable on eth1 (as a DHCP server using dhcpd)

Any ideas?

--Robert Book

segmentation violation

Post by Christof Schwenze » Sat, 24 Mar 2001 00:19:18

> Within the past few days, I'm getting really strange things happening.
> I'm sitting here in front of the screen, everything seems normal, and
> all of a sudden the X server exits, dumps me back to the (text)
> console, and starts giving me errors like this:

>   init: PANIC: segmentation violation at 0x10202! sleeping for 30 seconds.
>   init: PANIC: segmentation violation at 0xfffffff7! sleeping for 30 seconds.

> These errors always seem to come in pairs.  And, nothing seems to
> actually stop for 30 seconds...

> I figure (having used Windows for too long :-(  ) that if I reboot,
> everything will be fine, but after one of these errors, the shutdown
> command doesn't work!  I type "shutdown -r now" or "shutdown -h now" I
> get the "broadcast message" saying "system going down NOW!" but
> nothing actually happens.  I press enter, and get another shell
> prompt.  Ctrl-Alt-Del doesn't work, either.  It doesn't matter if I
> type this as root or with my regular userid (which is authorized to
> run shutdown).

The shutdown procedure tries to terminate all processes/services
Oviously there is one process which cannot be terminated.
find it out with
   ps xa | more

IN the third column you see attributes of the processes
e.g. S for sleep, R for running
Maybe one of the processes has the attribute "D"
which means "uninterruptible sleep"
this is normally related to a hardware/driver problem .
I had similar problems with several ethernet cards half a year ago.
The problems were solved when better drivers came aout.

Upgrading to a newer kernel might helpin your situation

In this case upgrading to new kernel might be a good idea

segmentation violation

Post by el.. » Sat, 24 Mar 2001 03:41:51

Quote:>> Within the past few days, I'm getting really strange things happening.
>> I'm sitting here in front of the screen, everything seems normal, and
>> all of a sudden the X server exits, dumps me back to the (text)
>> console, and starts giving me errors like this:

>>   init: PANIC: segmentation violation at 0x10202! sleeping for 30 seconds.
>>   init: PANIC: segmentation violation at 0xfffffff7! sleeping for 30 seconds.

>> These errors always seem to come in pairs.  And, nothing seems to
>> actually stop for 30 seconds...

>> I figure (having used Windows for too long :-(  ) that if I reboot,
>> everything will be fine, but after one of these errors, the shutdown
>> command doesn't work!  I type "shutdown -r now" or "shutdown -h now" I
>> get the "broadcast message" saying "system going down NOW!" but
>> nothing actually happens.  I press enter, and get another shell
>> prompt.  Ctrl-Alt-Del doesn't work, either.  It doesn't matter if I
>> type this as root or with my regular userid (which is authorized to
>> run shutdown).
>The shutdown procedure tries to terminate all processes/services
>Oviously there is one process which cannot be terminated.
>find it out with
>   ps xa | more

No, the "shutdown procedure" is run by init and in this case init
isn't working.

--
http://www.spinics.net/linux/

1. INIT: PANIC: segmentation violation! giving up..

I've been running Red Hat Linux 4.1 for several months now on my home
machine (AMD K6/233 w/48MB of Ram) without any problems.  Two days ago
we had a power blackout while I was in the middle of compile a new
kernel (ver 2.1.66).  Since then, linux dies during the boot process,
right after probing and properly identifying my hardware, including all
the hard disk partitions.  It prints the above error message (see the
subject line) and locks up solid.  The only way out is a hard reset.
Does anyone have any idea how to get aroud this.  I tried booting from
the boot floppy in 'rescue' mode to run fsck on my linux partitions.  It
found and corrected some problems.  Now all the partitions are 'clean'
but the system still dies at exactly the same point.  It will boot in
emergency mode (by typing 'linux emergency' at the lilo boot prompt) and
I'm able to look at both linux partitions (/root and /usr) and on the
surface they look just fine.  But, of course, in emergency mode, the
system's functionality is severely limited.  I'm starting to feel linux
withdrawal symptoms ;-) HELP!!!

--Max

2. strange errors being recorded in logs

3. Debuging Segmentation Violation Fault

4. Review: Emperor Linux Rhino Laptop

5. segmentation violation in ncurses

6. Two NIC's in One

7. PANIC: INIT: segmentation violation ...

8. smbclient question

9. JDK 1.1.1 - segmentation violation

10. lpsfilt - Segmentation Violation

11. BUG: segmentation violation?

12. WordPerfect6/7 and libc (segmentation violations)

13. Help: SIGSEGV: segmentation violation: (11) at (ApplyForId_ext)