DNS Problem with PPP connecting to AT&T World or IBM Net under Linux

DNS Problem with PPP connecting to AT&T World or IBM Net under Linux

Post by Yan Huan » Sat, 07 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Hi! Netters,

I have a problem with DNS when connecting to AT&T Worldnet or IBM Net
through ppp-2.3.3 on my Linux-2.0.33.

The situation is that, I can successfully connect to AT&T Worldnet or
IBM Net with PPP, and they even assign me the local IP address without
any problems. I perform "ifconfig" to check if ppp0 is connected.
Everything seems fine but when I invoke "route" command, it takes so
long time to get route information. I "ping" other existing host in the
Internet but no responses come up instead of backing to me the error
messages which say my Linux PC cannot reach that host. Above situation
seems that even I connect the ISP successfully but I cannot enter into
the Internet. Of course, I defined the /etc/resolv.conf and
/etc/host.conf very well under guided direction.

I have ever doubted whether my ppp script is correct for connecting
once. Thus, I used the same script to try to connect the access number
at Cleveland State Univ.(My wife has an account at there). It was no
problems with connecting and successfully entering into the Internet.
So I got confused.

Did someone here undergo such case as mine when connecting to AT&T
Worldnet or IBM Net? If you are, pls drop me some lines to fix that.
I appreciate any comments from you. BTW, if possible, pls email me at

Thank you in advance.

Sincerely,

---yan

Post by bill davids » Tue, 10 Feb 1998 04:00:00

| The situation is that, I can successfully connect to AT&T Worldnet or
| IBM Net with PPP, and they even assign me the local IP address without
| any problems. I perform "ifconfig" to check if ppp0 is connected.
| Everything seems fine but when I invoke "route" command, it takes so
| long time to get route information.

Look at your routing information with 'netstat -rn' and see if you
have a default route to the internet. Sounds as if the connect isn't
setting routing. You can use defaultroute as a pppd option, or other
solutions.
--

"She would hold a grudge until it died of old age. Then she would have it
stuffed and mounted."

1. Problems with route when connecting to IBM Net from PPP on Linux

Hi!

Under the guideline of using PPP on Linux announced in "Help Desk" at
IBM Net's homepage, I succeed in connecting to their local access
point in Cleveland. I am also successfully assigned a dynamic IP
address from there. But,

 * when I try to execute "route" command, it always takes so long time
   to figure out a route table in kernel.

 * When I execute "route -n" command, the table will be returned
   immediately.

 * Additional, even after the default route table is made, I still can
   not reach the Internet. (Sure, I have setup a correct
   /etc/resolve.conf)

 * I execute "ifconfig" command and find that I have not ever received
   any packets after successfully connecting to the access point.

Besides, I found that the remote IP address at local access point is
204.146.241.17 (sometimes will be another one:-), however, the local
IP address they assigned to me was not at 204.146.241.*, which
sometimes will be 32.*.*.* or 166.72.*.*. That means that the end of
my site is not in the same network as the end of their remote site
(IBM Net).

I have no idean if someone here has such experience with me and
fixed out that problem afterwards. If you are, pls tell me how to go
through that. Any advice is fine and I will appreciate for what you
do.

Thank you in advance!

---yan

2. Unix ZIP and PKZIP

4. Q: DNS setup...

5. PPP Problems IBM.net & RedHat 5.0

6. Check it out! A new Site for beginners and Advanced users!

7. connecting to ibm.net using PPP + some new user questions

8. AIX network programming questions

9. Help configuring ppp for RedHat5.0 & ISP: ibm.net

10. Problem connecting to IBM.net

11. ibm.net ppp setup problem

12. Linux (RH 5.1) and ibm.net using ppp and/or slip

13. IBM.NET Linux PPP