route packet based on incoming interface, not by routing table??

route packet based on incoming interface, not by routing table??

Post by Loui » Wed, 07 Aug 2002 03:03:41

Hi all,

I am assigned to setup a lab for testing with two linux server for ftp
load test as ftp server.

However, could I utilized only one linux server with two NIC and
binded with 2 IP? To act as two ftp server by one linux server, I have
to make sure the outgoing 'data' packet will follow the incoming
'request' packet interface. However, as usual, a linux box has only
one default route to one of the outgoing interface.

Will two default route work? Anyway to do it?

remove "XPAM_" before sending email)

Thanks and regards,
Louis

Post by frank barne » Wed, 07 Aug 2002 04:36:45

>Hi all,

>I am assigned to setup a lab for testing with two linux server for ftp
>load test as ftp server.

>However, could I utilized only one linux server with two NIC and
>binded with 2 IP? To act as two ftp server by one linux server,

You could do this. You could even have two IP addresses assigned to
one NIC.

Quote:>I have
>to make sure the outgoing 'data' packet will follow the incoming
>'request' packet interface.

I would like to know why this is necessary.

Quote:>However, as usual, a linux box has only
>one default route to one of the outgoing interface.

>Will two default route work? Anyway to do it?

I dont think you can do this. I suspect it is not really necessary anyway.
If you are using iptables you might be able to come up with something
creative.

>remove "XPAM_" before sending email)

>Thanks and regards,
>Louis

Why dont you explain more about what you actually want to achieve. Doing
so might make a  more direct solution evident.

-f