Debian: How do I disable ipv6?

Debian: How do I disable ipv6?

Post by Mark Hoble » Fri, 27 May 2011 05:56:27



How do I disable ipv6 in Debian?

I have blacklisted the ipv6 module, but Debian has this compiled this into
the monolithic core, rather than building it as a module.

I have also added a file into the sysctl.d directory as follows:

cat /etc/sysctl.d/disableipv6.conf                                          
net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6=1

And I have rebooted the server, but ipv6 persists:

Resolving ftp.uk.debian.org... 83.142.228.128, 2001:470:1f08:80b::2
                                               ^
                                               ipv6

netstat -a
tcp6       0      0 [::]:43801              [::]:*                  LISTEN    
tcp6       0      0 [::]:46874              [::]:*                  LISTEN    
tcp6       0      0 [::]:52607              [::]:*                  LISTEN    
tcp6       0      0 [::]:nfs                [::]:*                  LISTEN    
tcp6       0      0 [::]:56389              [::]:*                  LISTEN    
tcp6       0      0 [::]:44584              [::]:*                  LISTEN    
tcp6       0      0 [::]:sunrpc             [::]:*                  LISTEN    
tcp6       0      0 [::]:www                [::]:*                  LISTEN

^                   ^                       ^
More ipv6

I don't want any ipv6 on this leg of the network.

Mark.

--
Mark Hobley
Linux User: #370818  http://markhobley.yi.org/

 
 
 

Debian: How do I disable ipv6?

Post by Rick Jone » Fri, 27 May 2011 05:03:18



> How do I disable ipv6 in Debian?
> I have blacklisted the ipv6 module, but Debian has this compiled
> this into the monolithic core, rather than building it as a module.
> I have also added a file into the sysctl.d directory as follows:
> cat /etc/sysctl.d/disableipv6.conf                                          
> net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6=1
> And I have rebooted the server, but ipv6 persists:
> Resolving ftp.uk.debian.org... 83.142.228.128, 2001:470:1f08:80b::2
>                                                ^
>                                                ipv6

That may be a function of whether the application making the
getaddrinfo() call is or is not setting the AI_ADDRCONFIG flag.  If it
does, then addresses of a given family will only be returned if there
is an interface (other than loopback) configured with an address from
that family.  If that flag is not set, even a "pure" IPv4 system may
return an IPv6 address via getaddrinfo(), having been given it by the
DNS server - even though/if the DNS query was carried in an IPv4
datagram.

Quote:> netstat -a
> tcp6       0      0 [::]:43801              [::]:*                  LISTEN
> tcp6       0      0 [::]:46874              [::]:*                  LISTEN
> tcp6       0      0 [::]:52607              [::]:*                  LISTEN
> tcp6       0      0 [::]:nfs                [::]:*                  LISTEN
> tcp6       0      0 [::]:56389              [::]:*                  LISTEN
> tcp6       0      0 [::]:44584              [::]:*                  LISTEN
> tcp6       0      0 [::]:sunrpc             [::]:*                  LISTEN
> tcp6       0      0 [::]:www                [::]:*                  LISTEN
> ^                   ^                       ^
> More ipv6

Well, more addresses being displayed using IPv6 style at least, and
indicating that their owning applications may have been ported to be
able to accept connections via IPv6.

Quote:> I don't want any ipv6 on this leg of the network.

Are there any interfaces on the system configured with an IPv6
address?  If not, then apart from the AI_ADDRCONFIG question,
everything else is really (IIRC) just cosmetic.

rick jones

Quote:> Mark.
> --
> Mark Hobley
> Linux User: #370818  http://markhobley.yi.org/

--
denial, anger, bargaining, depression, acceptance, rebirth...
                                     where do you want to be today?
these opinions are mine, all mine; HP might not want them anyway... :)
feel free to post, OR email to rick.jones2 in hp.com  but NOT BOTH...

 
 
 

Debian: How do I disable ipv6?

Post by Pascal Hambour » Sat, 28 May 2011 04:03:17


Hello,

Mark Hobley a crit :

Quote:> How do I disable ipv6 in Debian?

> I have blacklisted the ipv6 module, but Debian has this compiled this into
> the monolithic core, rather than building it as a module.

You can add ipv6.disable=1 to the kernel command line in the boot loader
setup.
 
 
 

1. Disable sending ICMPV6 redirects on IPV6

Hello,
 I try to find out how to disable a Linux machine (acting as a router)
from sending  ICMPV6  redirects ;

There is : /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/all/accept_redirects
but I cannot find /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/all/send_redirects

(In IPV4 there is both /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/all/send_redirects and
/proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/all/accept_redirects)

Maybe it is impossible to disable a Linux machine from sending
ICMPV6  redirects?
Any ideas?

Regards,
Ian

2. linux-2.4.0-test2.tar.bz2

3. How to disable ipv6 DNS lookups in Redhat 7.2 ?

4. GS don't start; /lib/libX?? missing???

5. How to disable ipv6 for ppp ?

6. Linux: reduced capacity of my hard disk?

7. Disable IPV6 on OpenBSD

8. Query: Drivers for AHA >1522< ?

9. Disable IPv6 in Red Hat?

10. How to disable IPv6

11. How to disable IPV6 AAAA lookups?

12. To disable ipv6?

13. debian Lenny: forcing a IPv6 Router Sollicitation (configuring a linux isatap client)