Riddle for network hardware Pro's

Post by Bob J.A. Schijvenaar » Sat, 06 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I'm a newbie when it comes to hardware and linux, but to expand my
knowledge I want to install Linux on my old Pentium 60 system at home.
I'd like to have a network at home too, so I got two network cards from
old PC's about to be thrown away. Now the problem:

- On one of the cards it doesn't say which type it is. Some chips have
  the texts: "SMC83C690LJ P", "SMC83C694LJ P", "PCA EPC1002PS". The
  board itself has the text: "60-600406-002 REV A" and a year: 1992.
  The FCC certification ID is: JI58013EWC
  Can some of you gurus deduce what brand/type of card this is? And
  second, are there (still) any Linux drivers for it?
- The other card is a HP 27210A-600001. I haven't been able to find
  any Linux drivers for that one. Are there? I couldn't find any in
  the Linux Networking howto
  http://metalab.unc.edu/mdw/HOWTO/Ethernet-HOWTO-5.html

Thanks, Bob

 Dept. of Medical Informatics,        Talk....+31-(0)10 408 8116
 Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, Erasmus University Rotterdam

Post by Greg Leblan » Sun, 07 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> Hi,

> I'm a newbie when it comes to hardware and linux, but to expand my
> knowledge I want to install Linux on my old Pentium 60 system at home.
> I'd like to have a network at home too, so I got two network cards
> from
> old PC's about to be thrown away. Now the problem:

> - On one of the cards it doesn't say which type it is. Some chips have
>   the texts: "SMC83C690LJ P", "SMC83C694LJ P", "PCA EPC1002PS". The
>   board itself has the text: "60-600406-002 REV A" and a year: 1992.
>   The FCC certification ID is: JI58013EWC
>   Can some of you gurus deduce what brand/type of card this is? And
>   second, are there (still) any Linux drivers for it?

Looks like it's an SMC.  :)  I'm not too familiar with their chip
numbers, but I would expect one of the SMC modules to pick this card up.

Quote:> - The other card is a HP 27210A-600001. I haven't been able to find
>   any Linux drivers for that one. Are there? I couldn't find any in
>   the Linux Networking howto
>   http://www.veryComputer.com/

What kind of a card is that?  PCI?  10mbit?  That sounds like the cards
that shipped with our E30s, but I'n not sure.  If so, the Intel driver
should work, but I'm not 100% sure.
        Greg

--
It's pronounced "*" not "scuzzy"!

Before you buy.

Post by Bob J.A. Schijvenaar » Tue, 09 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> > - On one of the cards it doesn't say which type it is. Some chips have
> >   the texts: "SMC83C690LJ P", "SMC83C694LJ P", "PCA EPC1002PS". The
> >   board itself has the text: "60-600406-002 REV A" and a year: 1992.
> >   The FCC certification ID is: JI58013EWC
> >   Can some of you gurus deduce what brand/type of card this is? And
> >   second, are there (still) any Linux drivers for it?

> Looks like it's an SMC.  :)  I'm not too familiar with their chip
> numbers, but I would expect one of the SMC modules to pick this card up.

Ok, so SMC is not only a chipbrand but also a NIC brand :) Ok, I'm gonna
try some of the SMC modules. Someone else also pointed out that one of
those probably will do the job.

Quote:> > - The other card is a HP 27210A-600001. I haven't been able to find
> >   any Linux drivers for that one. Are there? I couldn't find any in
> >   the Linux Networking howto
> >   http://metalab.unc.edu/mdw/HOWTO/Ethernet-HOWTO-5.html

> What kind of a card is that?  PCI?  10mbit?  That sounds like the cards
> that shipped with our E30s, but I'n not sure.  If so, the Intel driver
> should work, but I'm not 100% sure.
>         Greg

It's from a very old system, an HP ES (80386SX) I believe. So I guess that
rules out PCI, since that didn't exist then yet :) I'm going to try the Intel
driver, thanks for the tips!

Bob

 Dept. of Medical Informatics,        Talk....+31-(0)10 408 8116
 Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, Erasmus University Rotterdam

1. ***Network Networking Programmers Developers UNIX Pro's***

Hi,

We have a great opportunity for a Developer specializing in Networking to
deal with a first generation product line within an established, reputable
company.  This is a position that pro's in the field of networking &
information routing based products will view with more than just a passing
interest.  This is entering into a serious design phase, and now is the time
to get in if you're a nuts and bolts kind of person.

Some areas of strength might include:

*5 years+ experience in a UNIX environment
*5 years+ experience with C and C++

*Windows NT / 2000
*Some decent low level work would be real nice
*Looking for a 'Terminator' in the area of Networking and Routing.

Our client is located in Chicago, near Evanston, has easy access from a
number of major roads, and promises a truly unique opportunity to do
something that very few firms are working on, none in this area that we are
aware of.  Salary will be commensurate with experience, but will be
generous.  Technical degrees are certainly welcome, however hands on is far
more important here.

The firm we are searching for is quite unique in a few aspects, but mainly
it must be known that this is not a 'suit and tie' type of place.  Come as
you are, wear what you like, and don't even respond if you like sitting in a
bunch of meetings all day, because it's not going to happen.  You will get
to do your thing, and creativity will be stressed, hours and meeting will
not.  Maybe this place could best be summed up as *cool*; you will like it
if Motorola doesn't work for you!  Flexible hours are available to some
degree.

The nature of this product is being reserved for interested & qualified
persons mainly due to privacy at our client's request, thus we apologize in
advance for the lack of a lengthy description.  I ask your trust that this
will be a very fulfilling place to work at for those possessing the right
background.

Hunter is a well established recruiting firm, and will NEVER violate the
privacy of the recruiter/candidate relationship.  All serious inquiries will
be met as such.  Please contact by e-mail or fax at:

Dave Steiger

Fax:  (815)356-9225

2. check file

3. "ping" a MAC address - which utility?

4. Solaris/Ultrasparc 5 and Roadrunner + Home Network Question

5. Redhat 5.2's Samba + Windows 2000 Pro (build 1965) DOES NOT NETWORK

6. Small Window Managers

7. RedHat 5.2 Doesn't Detect Intel EtherExpress Pro/100 Network Card

8. Rage Fury Pro (Rage 128 Pro) don't work under SuSE 6.1

9. vacancy's for hardware&networking jobs apply resume

10. hardware to network 2 Sparc's?

11. Debian Sarge install: can't get past "configure network hardware"