Samba slow one direction only!

Post by Oliver Nelso » Wed, 04 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Anyone please help (no response in samba newsgroup!),

I'm running Samba 2.0.5a on Suse 6.1.  I've had this problem with Samba versions I've
tried before.  From my Win98 machine, I can copy files to my Samba Server at very good
speeds.  But if I then go to open or copy those files back, it runs but very slow.  Like
if I go to play a MP3 file that is on the Samba box, it is extremely choppy, but will play
all the way through.  Or even to just use DOS type command on a large (1mb) text file.  My
log file looks OK.  There is something about requested 10000 open files but only 1014
available.  If this is important I will send the log file.  Below is my smb.conf.  1 meg
file will open in approx. 1 min 30 sec where as I can copy 127 megs to the Samba box in
approx 2 min.

Thanx for any advice

OLIVER

P.S. Tried with & without oplocks, but to no avail.  Also, with telnet, sz command, it is
not very fast either.  Tried changing workstation to half duplex, no avail.  Do i need to
change Linux nic settings? If so, how?

[global]
   workgroup = PROG
   guest account = nobody
   security = user
   comment = Alice.Wonderland Samba %v
   socket options = TCP_NODELAY
   map to guest = Bad User
   wins support = no
   oplocks = false

[homes]
   comment = Share for users
   browseable = yes
   writeable = yes
   path = %H
   locking = no
   directory mode = 0777

; The following share gives all users access to the Server's CD drive,
; assuming it is mounted under /cd. To enable this share, please remove
; the semicolons before the lines
;
[cdrom]
   comment = Linux CD-ROM
   path = /cdrom
   read only = yes
   locking = no

Samba slow one direction only!

Post by Alexander Atki » Fri, 06 Aug 1999 04:00:00

What Kernel are you using?  I used to have this problem but since upgrading to Slackware 4.0
(Kernel 2.2.6) which contains Samba 2.0.3 it is REALLY fast in both directions.
I now have it running on an Intel P133 and its outrunning Win95 networking when it was on the
same machine.  This also might be to do with upgrading to the latest glibc libraries as well
though.  I dont know.

Alex.

> Anyone please help (no response in samba newsgroup!),

> I'm running Samba 2.0.5a on Suse 6.1.  I've had this problem with Samba versions I've
> tried before.  From my Win98 machine, I can copy files to my Samba Server at very good
> speeds.  But if I then go to open or copy those files back, it runs but very slow.  Like
> if I go to play a MP3 file that is on the Samba box, it is extremely choppy, but will play
> all the way through.  Or even to just use DOS type command on a large (1mb) text file.  My
> log file looks OK.  There is something about requested 10000 open files but only 1014
> available.  If this is important I will send the log file.  Below is my smb.conf.  1 meg
> file will open in approx. 1 min 30 sec where as I can copy 127 megs to the Samba box in
> approx 2 min.

> Thanx for any advice

> OLIVER

> P.S. Tried with & without oplocks, but to no avail.  Also, with telnet, sz command, it is
> not very fast either.  Tried changing workstation to half duplex, no avail.  Do i need to
> change Linux nic settings? If so, how?

> [global]
>    workgroup = PROG
>    guest account = nobody
>    security = user
>    comment = Alice.Wonderland Samba %v
>    socket options = TCP_NODELAY
>    map to guest = Bad User
>    wins support = no
>    oplocks = false

> [homes]
>    comment = Share for users
>    browseable = yes
>    writeable = yes
>    path = %H
>    locking = no
>    directory mode = 0777

> ; The following share gives all users access to the Server's CD drive,
> ; assuming it is mounted under /cd. To enable this share, please remove
> ; the semicolons before the lines
> ;
> [cdrom]
>    comment = Linux CD-ROM
>    path = /cdrom
>    read only = yes
>    locking = no

Samba slow one direction only!

Post by Oliver Nelso » Sat, 07 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Alex,

Just upgraded from SuSEs site to Kernel 2.2.7 which has some bug and security fixes
apparently, but this didn't help.  I this it is due to my nic not being setup properly,
but I don't know how to change the nic settings in linux like I did in dos with net.cfg
file (IPX netware network but same config file concept).

Thanx

OLIVER

Samba slow one direction only!

Post by Oliver Nelso » Sat, 07 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Alex,

I've got it working on another network finally!!!!!!!

Its something on my network.  I don't particularly care right now what is causing it, I'm
just glad it wasn't a software configuration problem.
In other words, I do know what I'm doing <vbg>!

OLIVER

1. Transfers slow in one direction

Whenever moving files onto the Linux box from a Mac or Wintel, transfers are
achingly slow, and the logs show a bunch of collisions. Moving files *from*
the Linux box to another machine are speedy, however. Any ideas? The system
is RH5 with a cheap PCI Ethernet card. There are only a dozen computers on
the network, and transfers to the NT server are much faster (which annoys
me).

2. command make

3. Challenging Problem: TCP/IP slow in one direction

4. double precision

5. very slow ethernet connection IN ONE DIRECTION!

6. Themes in GTK not working

7. Transfer Speeds Slow In One Direction

8. System date is 1 day fast

9. Slow network performance in one direction

10. help! very slow ethernet IN ONE DIRECTION

11. PPP slow in ONE direction

12. slow ethernet throughput in one direction

13. smbclient is slow in one direction only!