Troubles to accessing Linux via ethernet networking ---- need help!

Post by Frank Sweetse » Tue, 10 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> Hi,

>     I have a RedHat 5.0 linux distribution installed on my computer. I tried
> to configure Ethernet network via TCP/IP. I can do a telnet on myself with
> ''Telnet 127.0.0.1'' (on the LInux machine). Now, I would like to access my
> server with another machine who have Windows 95 via an Ethernet network. I
> can do a ping from Windows 95 to Linux, an in other way ( from Linux to
> Windows 95 ). I reed some howto and other things and I know that I can use
> Pcnfsd. So, I was go on Intergraph site to keep an evaluation copy of
> DiskAccess, who can mount nfs files et access it via the icon Network in
> Win95. But, when I tried to install Linux_pcnfsd2.gz I had some problems.
> So, HOW CAN I ACCESS MY LINUX SERVER WITH A WINDOWS 95 SYSTEM. Also, can you

a better solution is to install the tcp/ip stack on the 95 machines that
comes with win95, and install and configure samba on the linux box.  there
should be a samba rpm on the install cd (or wherever you installed from)

paramount.res.wpi.net RH 5.0 kernel 2.0.33/2.1.85   i586 | at public servers
"I would rather spend 10 hours reading someone else's source code than
10 minutes listening to Musak waiting for technical support which isn't."
(By Dr. Greg Wettstein, Roger Maris Cancer Center)

Post by Bruno Lamarch » Tue, 10 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

    I have a RedHat 5.0 linux distribution installed on my computer. I tried
to configure Ethernet network via TCP/IP. I can do a telnet on myself with
''Telnet 127.0.0.1'' (on the LInux machine). Now, I would like to access my
server with another machine who have Windows 95 via an Ethernet network. I
can do a ping from Windows 95 to Linux, an in other way ( from Linux to
Windows 95 ). I reed some howto and other things and I know that I can use
Pcnfsd. So, I was go on Intergraph site to keep an evaluation copy of
DiskAccess, who can mount nfs files et access it via the icon Network in
Win95. But, when I tried to install Linux_pcnfsd2.gz I had some problems.
So, HOW CAN I ACCESS MY LINUX SERVER WITH A WINDOWS 95 SYSTEM. Also, can you
tell me where can i get information about Pcnfsd ( the software ( clients
and server ) and some howto, or indication to install and use it)

Thank you !

Bruno Lamarche

Troubles to accessing Linux via ethernet networking ---- need help!

Post by Philip Matheso » Wed, 11 Feb 1998 04:00:00

You might want to try a program call Xwin32. It's a X windows client for windows
that allows you to open xterms on win boxes. You can also open all the X apps
like control panel and Network configurator. It's actually pretty cool, I have
it set up so that I can do all the administration of my RH5 box, from my NT
workstation. The linux box just sits in the closet. If you think this will help
let me know I can give you more details.

--
Philip J. Matheson
NCATT Software Engineer

Troubles to accessing Linux via ethernet networking ---- need help!

Post by myrr.. » Thu, 12 Feb 1998 04:00:00

On Mon, 09 Feb 1998 20:16:55 GMT, "Bruno Lamarche"

>Hi,

>    I have a RedHat 5.0 linux distribution installed on my computer. I tried
>to configure Ethernet network via TCP/IP. I can do a telnet on myself with
>''Telnet 127.0.0.1'' (on the LInux machine). Now, I would like to access my
>server with another machine who have Windows 95 via an Ethernet network. I
>can do a ping from Windows 95 to Linux, an in other way ( from Linux to
>Windows 95 ). I reed some howto and other things and I know that I can use
>Pcnfsd.

<<snip>>

You probably want to check out SAMBA instead. Free. Included with Red
Hat (as well as most other distributions) Requires no additional
Windows software, just setting up TCP/IP addresses (which you have
already done). and works just like any other Lan Manager type network.
I looked at Pcnfsd, was disappointed in the usability for me. Samba
works well for file and print sharing with Win based machines.

>Thank you !

>Bruno Lamarche

Myrrdin

1. HELP:linux and sunos network via ethernet

I would like to network a sun sparc 5 station running sunos 4.1.x to a
linux 2.0.4 pc. They both have ethernet cards. The linux box had been
previously connected to a network via the ethernet card. I would like
to know if it is possible, using only the  two ethernet cards, to network
the two computers together so that the sun may access the linux
filesystem. I have looked at the NET-2-HOWTO, but most questions
concerning routing and such suggest the contact of a network
administrator. So any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Sean Ortiz.

2. How to extend partitions ?

3. Accessing a CD-ROM drive via Linux NFS in a diskless machine - help needed

4. HDD Partitions

5. Network Access via Remote Networks

6. div3, opendivx, and FFMPEG with aviplay

7. Accessing second level network via linksys router and linux box

8. Last rites declaration of Ioannes Paulus PP. II (Karol Wojtyla)

9. access serialport on linux via network from a windowbox

10. network Win95 & Linux via ethernet

11. Network Internet and Email access via a linux box

12. Need for help on remote printing via dial-up terminal access

13. Telnet/Rlogin access needed via Apache on Linux