Minicom and Motorola Voice Surfer 33.6K Modem

Minicom and Motorola Voice Surfer 33.6K Modem

Post by Leon D. Wheele » Wed, 11 Mar 1998 04:00:00

I have a Pentium 100 MHz CPU with an Award Bios Ver.. 4.5.xx, and
7.2GB's worth of drive space.  I have a Motorola Voice Surfer modem
(33.6K) and I am running both WIN95 os and the Linux RedHat 5.0 os and I
am having trouble connecting to my jobsite by dialing up threw an Xyplex
Server.

My problem is that when ever I dial up my place of work I get
disconnected in the middle of the two modems negotiating baud rate.
Here is the Scenario:

I dial

ATDT*70,519-4307
0                 <---------------  This is all the response I get
28  79            <---------------  Don't under stand this ???

my computer dials, you hear the tones, you hear it connect i get the
above response and then after several seconds of silence the phone line
gets dropped.

Q:  Why don't I see a response to ATDT like OK?
Q:  What is the 28 79 response?  Is it garbage or am I getting a
response and I just
    don't understand what it is telling me?

When I issue the following from the command line I get this response:

    setserial -a /dev/modem
    /dev/modem   -------------> cua3
    baud rate 38400  port x038E    IRQ 9

and some other information I can't remember right.

               or if I do

    setserial -a /dev/cua3
    /dev/modem   -------------> cua3
    baud rate 38400  port x038E    IRQ 9

and some other information I can't remember right.

Whether I have Minicom set up with no inialization string except for
ATS0=1 for auto answer; or I leave its default initialization string
alone (since my modem is Hayes compatable, the ressul is still the
same.  The line gets dropped on me during baud rate negotiations between
my modem and the called modem.

Minicom is also set for a dialing and response time of 120 sec's, auto
baud detect,
and the terminal for VT102. [I can't get Seyon to work either.]

Q: Any ideas as to why this is happening?

Also, even though I work for a telecommunications company and I use Unix
all the time, Linux is still confusing, very challenging, and hard to
learn.  I have only one years experience in this field so far so please
be gentle with me.  I'm nearing the half century mark in age and I don't
want to croak due to stress and/or  because my * pressure got to
high cuss someone called me stupid.

I have read an enormous amount of HOW TO's and Mini HOW TO's but feel as
though I have information over flow due to confusion.

Confusion:  Why do other articles tell people to set there modem up by
doing something
            like -- setserial /dev/modem ttys?   When the How to says to
do a --
            setserial -a /dev/modem cua3  or setserial -a /dev/modem
-----> cua3
            or what ever the command is?

            Does the IRQ that WIN95 sets for the Modem (in this case
IRQ 9) have to be
            the same IRQ in Linux?  If so why did Linux assign it an IRQ
of 3 ?
            (My modem is set up on Com port4 with an IRQ of 9 in Win95.
Although the
            box my modem came in says that it is PNP compatable, I don't
belive it is
            a true PNP Modem such as those WinModem's.)

My office uses a fairly simple Xyplex server and protocol (TCP/IP I
believe) for our
dial up accounts, however in Win95 I can only have one window open at
any given time and I would prefer to have, or utilize the PPP protocol
after connecting so that I can have multiple X window sessions up
connection.

Any Help that I could obtain from the expertise that is out there (in
the guru's world)
will be graciously and greatfully accepted and appreciated.

Thank you for you time.

--

"The only thing that stands between a man and what he wants from life
is often merely the will to try it and the faith to believe that it

* Leon D. Wheeler                  DSC Communications Corporation  *

* Voice Mail: (972)477-9201        Mail Stop: MOTD                 *
* Fax:  (972) 519-3563             Office: PB9 - 1393              *
*   The opinions expressed here are not those of DSC Comm. Corp.   *

1. 33.6k Rockwell voice modems that work with Linux?

Anyone know of what 33.6k Rockwell-chipset voice modems work with Linux?
I'm planning on doing some answering machine type application with Linux,
but don't want to dish out the money for a 56k modem.

-Ernie
--
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Park/9276
   _____/           ____         /        / Ernie "Shokk" Oporto-SysAdmin

2. Drivers for SIS VGA Card

3. Motorola Voice Surfer 56K Modems

4. MMDF info / uucp problem

5. motorola voice surfer external modem

6. Veritas NetBackup and Redhat 7.1 (xinetd) clients

7. vgetty w/ motorola voice surfer modem

8. how to suppress an aliased flag?

9. Motorola Premier 33.6K with Solaris2.5 x86

10. Getting busy signal dialing into USR 33.6K Sportster modem

11. Modem Cirrus Logic 33.6K V.34

12. can linux support modem speed above 33.6k?

13. Using 33.6K modem