inndstart can't bind port

Post by Scott E. Po » Fri, 27 Oct 1995 04:00:00

I'm trying to get INN (1.4) up and running on my Linux box.  I added
the rc file to start innd on bootup (it executes inndstart -r -i0), but
after I reboot innd isn't running.  When I check /var/adm/syslog it
says:

Oct 25 21:13:57 posthost inndstart: inndstart cant bind Address already in use

I looked at the source for inndstart and it looks like this error occurs
when it does a bind on NNTP_PORT which is defined as port 119.  I didn't
see anything else being started in /etc/rc.d that looked like it would
use this port.  /etc/services defines port 119 as the nntp port.  Any hints
would be greatly appreciated.

uname -a gives:

Linux posthost 1.2.8 #1 Sun May 7 13:10:10 CDT 1995 i586
--

inndstart can't bind port

Post by Peter Fries » Fri, 27 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Quote:

>I'm trying to get INN (1.4) up and running on my Linux box.  I added
>the rc file to start innd on bootup (it executes inndstart -r -i0), but
>after I reboot innd isn't running.  When I check /var/adm/syslog it
>says:

>Oct 25 21:13:57 posthost inndstart: inndstart cant bind Address already in use

>I looked at the source for inndstart and it looks like this error occurs
>when it does a bind on NNTP_PORT which is defined as port 119.  I didn't
>see anything else being started in /etc/rc.d that looked like it would
>use this port.  /etc/services defines port 119 as the nntp port.  Any hints
>would be greatly appreciated.

check /etc/inetd.conf and comment out the line starting with
nntp...

inndstart can't bind port

Post by Michael Nelso » Sun, 29 Oct 1995 04:00:00

> I'm trying to get INN (1.4) up and running on my Linux box.  I added
> the rc file to start innd on bootup (it executes inndstart -r -i0), but
> after I reboot innd isn't running.  When I check /var/adm/syslog it
> says:

> Oct 25 21:13:57 posthost inndstart: inndstart cant bind Address already in > use

Look in /etc/inetd.conf.  There's a line in there by default for "nntpd".
Comment it out, do a "killall -HUP inetd", then restart innd.

        Michael

--

San Francisco, CA

inndstart can't bind port

Post by John Coll » Tue, 31 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>I'm trying to get INN (1.4) up and running on my Linux box.  I added
>the rc file to start innd on bootup (it executes inndstart -r -i0), but
>after I reboot innd isn't running.  When I check /var/adm/syslog it
>says:
>Oct 25 21:13:57 posthost inndstart: inndstart cant bind Address already in use
>I looked at the source for inndstart and it looks like this error occurs
>when it does a bind on NNTP_PORT which is defined as port 119.  I didn't
>see anything else being started in /etc/rc.d that looked like it would
>use this port.  /etc/services defines port 119 as the nntp port.  Any hints
>would be greatly appreciated.

Look in your /etc/inetd.conf file. I would imagine that there is any
entry in there. Comment it out.

Cheers,
John
--
=========John Collis at home=========

1. INNDSTART: inndstart can't bind Address already in use

I have installed INN as per the FAQ's and all the readme's BUT the
above message is given via the syslog file everytime I try and
start it.
ie
/usr/lib/news/etc/rc.news
# prompt back
tail -f /usr/adm/syslog

innstart: inndstart can't bind address alread in use.

what does this mean, comments please to

2. 2.4.5 i810_audio.c, ac97_codec.c

3. Problems with user authentication under NCSA httpd-1.3

4. E-IDE recommendations please...

5. "Inndstart can'd bind address"

6. Audio Excel DSP II

7. inndstart can't bind Address already in use --- *** SOLUTION ***

8. inndstart can't bind -- What??

9. inndstart fails..cant bind

10. inndstart can not bind aaaddress in use

11. NCSA's can't bind with port 80?