Can't login/ftp from a remote Linux box after installing DNS services

Can't login/ftp from a remote Linux box after installing DNS services

Post by Marijan Lesko Krle » Thu, 27 Apr 1995 04:00:00

Hi people,
I appologize if someone posted and answerred on that question, but I have a
problem I can't resolve.
I was using /etc/hosts on my network (2 Linux boxes + piles of DOS/Windoze) to
map name <-> IP address and login/ftp from any Linux box worked fine.
I installed DNS ( and properly configured ) on one of my Linux boxes. I am
able to use DNS without any problems

WARNING !!!
( /etc/host.conf should list search for a host name in the following order:
bind, hosts for DNS to work properly).

I have no important entries in /etc/hosts anymore, because I use DNS. I can
ping any box using its canonical name, I can do Web/gopher/mount-NFS-vols
using canonical names, but I can't do login and ftp from my second box to DNS
server and vice versa, ANY MORE.

When I type login phobos (my box), login starts, phobos answers ( disk spins),
and a message "Connection closed by remote host" appears after 3 regular lines
(talking about connection and esc character). Ftp behaves in the same way.

I didn't use /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny earlier and everuthing
worked fine.I recreated them (hosts.deny - allow_ and allow all hosts to do
ftp and login (and any other inetd services).

What is going on??
I only enabled named daemon in rc.inet2 and created appropriate config files
for my system.

I use Slakware 2.0 distribution (great stuff), and its named/bind versions ( I
do not know which version).

Marijan Lesko Krleza
McGill University, Montreal

Post by rklas.. » Fri, 28 Apr 1995 04:00:00

 was using /etc/hosts on my network (2 Linux boxes + piles of DOS/Windoze) to
Have you done anything to your named.boot file and the other files referenced by
named.boot for the different zones? Its more than editing your name servers Host
file. in fact I don't think named actually serves any info based on "hosts".

have fun.
Ray Klassen